Sign in to follow this  
Cannonballer

Other Summer activities section?

It would be great to carry some momentum of this site through the summer.  Currently the non-skiing forum sections are for MTB and 'hiking, climbing, mountaineering'.  All of those are great, but what about other stuff:  Paddling, rafting, surfing, fishing, etc?  I think we already had the discussion at some point that it's important not to have too many micro-niche subforums.  So maybe just "Water Activities"?  (you might get more but unwanted traffic if you use "watersports" ? )     Or go even broader with "Other Activities"?

Just looking for a place for stuff like this from yesterday....

Herring1.jpg

Herring.jpg

kayak.jpg

Great idea....I have 2 non skiing interests. One is a passion and that is being out on my boat with my family/friends.
We have some great adventures exploring the seacoast of NH/ME and all the saltwater tidal rivers that run off the Piscataqua Rover which has Portsmouth NH as its mouth..
The other is more of a hobby and that is golf---I have moments of brilliance mixed with moments of total disaster. But it's fun and can be relaxing if you have the right mindset and nice to get out and walk 9/18 with friends and a couple cold ones.

Thinking about this more I recognize that these activities may not always meet the complete focus of this site.  Northeast: Check.  Mountain: mmmm maybe.   Sports: Check.   Still I think that's close enough to warrant some space. 

Would golf fall under Land Activities?

How do we start a new sub-forum?  I am a golfer/hacker too.  First topic I would ask is:  have you played any mountain golf courses and what is your impression of them, good/bad/indifferent in one paragraph?

Biking/hiking/golf/canoeing, kayaking. Gave up a few also - rock climbing and softball - well maybe not gave up but don't seem to do them anymore .

On 5/4/2018 at 2:03 PM, JimK said:

Would golf fall under Land Activities?

How do we start a new sub-forum?  I am a golfer/hacker too.  First topic I would ask is:  have you played any mountain golf courses and what is your impression of them, good/bad/indifferent in one paragraph?

I have played Sunday River a bunch of times. Also played Jay peak a few times. Killington once. I love these courses. Mostly because of the views and elevation change. All of these courses will have tee shots where the fairway is 100' below the tee box. Lot a fun.

Sugarloaf a half dozen times----still the most spectacular in my opinion.

Green Mtn National and Killington back to back as part of a guys golf wknd trip a few yrs ago. Very impressed with GMN but didn't like K. They charge $90 for what amounts to the equivalent of a $40 muni course. Staff was not overly professional like you see at the top courses and course maintenance left a lot to be desired.

Closer to home the back 9 at Nippo Lake In Barrington NH is cut into a hill/small mtn and plays very much like a mtn course.

I'm still thinking about a summer gathering -- Saco River trip for the group. Will probably pick a date in a couple of weeks, but it'll be sometime in August.

21 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I'm still thinking about a summer gathering -- Saco River trip for the group. Will probably pick a date in a couple of weeks, but it'll be sometime in August.

Nice! So how about this idea of a subforum?

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

Nice! So how about this idea of a subforum?

Would you like a place to discuss "water sports"?

10 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Would you like a place to discuss "water sports"?

As I said in the OP, I think that would be a poor choice of words....Although it might get a lot of extra traffic. 

On 5/8/2018 at 11:23 AM, Weatherman said:

I gathered last summer with some southern ski buddies for a weekend of golf at Canaan Valley Resort, WV.  Sort of a rolling course surrounded by 4000' mtns.  It was really fun, we might do it again this year.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:27 AM, Weatherman said:

I created subforums for "Water Activities" and "Golf". Now let's see some content!

Not that I'm a golfer myself....but I don't see the new "golf" section.  I do see "Water activities", thanks for that. 

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

Not that I'm a golfer myself....but I don't see the new "golf" section.  I do see "Water activities", thanks for that. 

Because I put it at the top level rather than in the outdoor activities section. Oops. Fixed it. Thanks for catching that.

Ditto on water section. I'll add some content from this upcoming wknd out on the Piscataqua for first boat wknd of the season

Sent from my XT1254 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I see golf under outdoor, but when I tried to make a new post there it wouldn't load into start new thread field.

On 5/11/2018 at 12:08 PM, JimK said:

I see golf under outdoor, but when I tried to make a new post there it wouldn't load into start new thread field.

That's because I was stupid and created a category rather than forum. Oops. Sorry! It should be fixed now.