frapcap

Lettuce talk about grass

Your yard, not the plant that is rapidly being legalized. 

Snows gone, and my yard looks like shit. 

o.jpg 

(not my yard, but similar terrain).

Its got dirt,

some patches of good stuff

smooth_crabgrass.jpg

a lot of crab grass

1400964414932.jpeg[/img]

a collection of normal and greater plantain

1409154713385.jpeg[/img]

and creeping buttercup.

I used to only have to keep the grass cut and edges trimmed, but this new endeavor of home ownership and lawn maintenance has been bestowed upon me. 

Its probably too late to do much for this season, but if y'all take pride in your lawn or have some foolproof methods that can help me and others would greatly appreciate the tips!

How shaded is that area?   Do you get at least 2-3 hours full sun/day?   

I'm not a big believer in grass - if I had ^that lot and wanted less work I would creeping wintergreen and bishop's weed the living daylights out of it.    Slap a yew in the window box.       Something Artemisia in the side-fence box, probably pontica and absinthium just for the absinthe interest;  a bronze fennel or two for the Painted Lady butterflies, and -if- there is room AND sunlight, a variegated elderberry of the  black lace variety.         Two weekends and it's all done but the pruning. 

Now I realize that's not your yard, so ... how important is grass anyway?

Edited by Meh

44 minutes ago, Meh said:

I'm not a big believer in grass - if I had ^that lot and wanted less work I would creeping wintergreen and bishop's weed the living daylights out of it.    Slap a yew in the window box.       Something Artemisia in the side-fence box, probably pontica and absinthium just for the absinthe interest;  a bronze fennel or two for the Painted Lady butterflies, and -if- there is room AND sunlight, a variegated elderberry of the  black lace variety.         Two weekends and it's all done but the pruning. 

Now I realize that's not your yard, so ... how important is grass anyway?

^^100%^^    I have a small yard.  I wouldn't call it a "lawn" although there is some low stuff that I mow.  Everything I do in my yard is designed to eliminate excess work while still looking good. Myrtle and ivy instead of grass in most places.  Flowering trees, low maintenance wildflower beds, etc.  The only thing I want to spend time working on is my vegetable garden. 

I've got just under a half acre, and my wife makes sure to keep me constantly busy working on it. Tonight I've going to spray for ticks. I'll probably kill every bumble bee within a mile radius, but no more blood suckers!

This year has been rough on my lawn too. I have a ton of maple saplings growing in the lawn, and lots of dead patches. I think both are a result of the lawn thawing in February then getting buried while thawed and wet during the next storm -- and it stayed buried for several weeks like this.

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

I salute anyone who can stand to tend a yard. I tried maintaining our lawn myself for the first couple years we were in our house, which amounted to me mowing not frequently enough, and it went straight to shit. I appreciate a nice landscape but I told my wife we need to get a landscaper to take care of this or I need to move into a condo.

I mowed my lawn Sunday... at least now the grass isn't too long, but it definitely highlighted that I didn't rake before winter and now I really need to rake.

*sigh* Yard Work...

Slowly dealing with mine. i have over an acre. I De-thached it last week. Then replanted some very large dead spots. My lawn used to be beautiful then i had kids and all my time was sucked up. I have grown to hate having a lawn as it is a waste of time. It is just a weed humans like.

15 hours ago, Smellytele said:

It is just a weed humans like.

Hey now, 'weed' is totally belittling the Herculean efforts of all those hoity-toity English lawn-and-manor painters for the bored rich when they trained us to value the image of green open flatness next to houses, the unceasing drive of the Polish/German/Baltic state denizens traipsing their forests looking for weedless green clumps to clone, the education credentials of the actual cloners over at Scott/ Monsanto, and the screaming backaches of the fertilizer/weed killer processors and loaders.

Hmm.   Come to think of it,  I'm OK with that.

That said, all of you having post-winter issues with lawns - have any of you played with seeding winter rye in the fall?

Edited by Meh

On 5/8/2018 at 3:51 PM, Weatherman said:

I have a ton of maple saplings growing in the lawn

Same down here in Quincy.  Made cleaning up my flower beds more of a chore than usual.    But at least I know if I have pulled them once they are gone, unlike that blasted Japanese knotweed.

I spent a lot of time and sweat labor spreading 10 yards of high quality loam/compost mix last August. The area was full of hard pack dead soil where even weeds wouldn't grow so I knew I had to get new soil down instead of just planting seeds. I then planted seed in early September and gave it heavy water. By end of the month it was awesome and I was mowing it by October. Super lush and really nice. Unfortunately half of the large section I planted has failed to come back after the winter. Frustrating as half of what I did is nice and the other half is not much growth.

I now am almost hoping some crab grass/weed mixes in just so it's green so I don't have a repeat driving my tractor over dusty soil.

Thinking about throwing some seed down this weekend and see what happens or just wait till the fall.

Don't wanna go thru the effort again this spring if I'm too late now as I know fall is best for grass.

Sent from my XT1254 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Our back yard is a pita every single year.  We have some beautiful mature maples that offer lots of welcome shade during the summer, but the lawn sure does hate it.  Having 2 boys that beat the hell out of doesn’t seem to help much!?

I’m also in the same boat with maple seedlings.  Mother Nature definitely must have done something that the maples are happy about.  

As far as having a lawn goes, I don’t mind the little bit of maintenance it requires.  Over time I’d like to do something about the perimeter of the lawn where it meets beds, walkways, etc, to make it easier to mow...

Congratulations on the new place, Frapcap ?

167CE251-BAFF-4FDC-8E44-809E09A97B99.jpeg

Thats a great looking house, good thing a carpenter owns it to maintain, is that a lake in the distance??

41 minutes ago, Brad J said:

Thats a great looking house, good thing a carpenter owns it to maintain, is that a lake in the distance??

I think that being owned by a carpenter is why this house is never done ??

Nope, no lake in the distance.  We are in a neighborhood in town. 

Anybody have experience building a patio? I'm starting to think that may be the most efficient use of my lawn.

My wife decided to get rid of one of her raised garden beds this weekend. The result is another bare patch that I had to seed. I don't like seeding this late in the spring.

23 hours ago, BumpOut said:

Our back yard is a pita every single year.  We have some beautiful mature maples that offer lots of welcome shade during the summer, but the lawn sure does hate it.  Having 2 boys that beat the hell out of doesn’t seem to help much!?

I’m also in the same boat with maple seedlings.  Mother Nature definitely must have done something that the maples are happy about.  

As far as having a lawn goes, I don’t mind the little bit of maintenance it requires.  Over time I’d like to do something about the perimeter of the lawn where it meets beds, walkways, etc, to make it easier to mow...

Congratulations on the new place, Frapcap ?

Thank you!

We have a few maple saplings going, too. I'll relocate them to the woods near the dead trees. 

This is my actual back yard:

Image may contain: people sitting, plant, tree, outdoor and nature

My actual front yard/driveway

Image may contain: plant, tree, grass, outdoor and nature

The first and easiest thing I can do it take those patio stones in the front yard and walk them over to the side yard for a nice grilling/hang out area. They're in a kinda useless place, so they might as well go somewhere useful. I think the previous owner used to keep potted plants there or something. 

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: people sitting, tree, outdoor and nature

I have A LOT of raking and debris removal to take care of before starting the lawn. It might wait until the fall.

^ Agreed. Even if its cheap asphalt, getting the driveway paved in some way, shape, or form is high on my list. The neighbors have their portion of the drive paved, though they may have not been the folks to do it. I'll have to cozy up with them to get the shared entry portion paved.  

6 minutes ago, frapcap said:

^ Agreed. Even if its cheap asphalt, getting the driveway paved in some way, shape, or form is high on my list. The neighbors have their portion of the drive paved, though they may have not been the folks to do it. I'll have to cozy up with them to get the shared entry portion paved.  

This is a good strategy. When I had my driveway paved, over half the cost was the minimum fee just for getting them to show up with the equipment. The cost per square foot after that point was not huge.

I have my wife putting down some extra seed I had leftover from the fall along with some leftover starter fertilizer in some spots today.
Worst case it doesn't take at all but with the seed losing effectiveness just sitting in the garage not much to lose. I do realize late in the game to be planting grass seed but if it gets burnt out over the summer and crab grass take over that is still better than what I have now which is bare patches (last couple yrs it was hardpack dirt that I drove my tractor over and came out super dusty on the other side)

Anything green will be an improvement over that.

1 hour ago, xwhaler said:

I have my wife putting down some extra seed I had leftover from the fall along with some leftover starter fertilizer in some spots today.
Worst case it doesn't take at all but with the seed losing effectiveness just sitting in the garage not much to lose. I do realize late in the game to be planting grass seed but if it gets burnt out over the summer and crab grass take over that is still better than what I have now which is bare patches (last couple yrs it was hardpack dirt that I drove my tractor over and came out super dusty on the other side)

Anything green will be an improvement over that.

How do you get your wife to do lawn care? I'd love to learn that lesson.

24 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

How do you get your wife to do lawn care? I'd love to learn that lesson.

Neglect tasks until she gets sick or nagging me or looking at it and decides to just deal with it herself!

1 hour ago, xwhaler said:

Neglect tasks until she gets sick or nagging me or looking at it and decides to just deal with it herself!

I'm not sure that would work with me. It just leads to increasingly violent yelling directed at me.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:27 AM, xwhaler said:

. I do realize late in the game to be planting grass seed but if it gets burnt out over the summer and crab grass take over that is still better than what I have now which is bare patches

I know the general advice is "when the forsythia blooms",  but at least in my neck of the woods the daytime temps aren't looking too warm coming up, and the evenings are cooler, with a decent amount of rain.  So I say a decent gamble.  And for what it is worth, my scraggly neglected forsythia still has a bloom or two.  (I think it only had a handful of blooms, still trying to rejuvenate the few things that were in my yard when we bought the house.  My daughter asked if we could plant a forsythia, she didn't even know we had one, that is how sad it is)