2 hours ago, 2manyhobbies said:

Yup. Only hurt my pride the first time. Jammed my thumb pretty good on the second one, but finished my ride. When my wife got home and saw me on the couch with ice bags on my knee and hand, all she could do was shake her head ?

I get the same thing.  Usually repsonse is "what did you do now?"

In ACK, very stiff ocean wind today.  Riding into this sucks, but there is one thing worse.

Riding into it on a soft sand road for three miles.

ride6!4.jpg

34 minutes ago, Puck it said:

In ACK, very stiff ocean wind today.  Riding into this sucks, but there is one thing worse.

Riding into it on a soft sand road for three miles.

ride6!4.jpg

Yeah, we're all here at work shedding a tear for you.

• Like 2

Made it over to Highland for the first time this year. Ended up having to get some work done on my brakes because they pretty much stopped working after the first run. Apparently the SRAM Guide R brakes that are on my DH bike are known to stick and stop working. Guys at the Highland shop sorted it out pretty quick. This is my son hitting the last table top at the end of Cat's Paw. Ended up getting in 8 laps and about 4300 vertical feet.

Highland.thumb.jpg.ee915ae8a14ceead30997d26c53cfd34.jpg

10 hours ago, 2manyhobbies said:

Made it over to Highland for the first time this year. Ended up having to get some work done on my brakes because they pretty much stopped working after the first run. Apparently the SRAM Guide R brakes that are on my DH bike are known to stick and stop working. Guys at the Highland shop sorted it out pretty quick. This is my son hitting the last table top at the end of Cat's Paw. Ended up getting in 8 laps and about 4300 vertical feet.

Highland.thumb.jpg.ee915ae8a14ceead30997d26c53cfd34.jpg

That is funny about the brakes.  I have the same ones and they started sticking on Saturday while riding.  I had take them apart and clean. One piston was stick on each.  

3 hours ago, Puck it said:

That is funny about the brakes.  I have the same ones and they started sticking on Saturday while riding.  I had take them apart and clean. One piston was stick on each.  

The guys at Highland said it's a warranty issue. I'm starting the 4th season on these brakes and have been thinking about upgrading anyway. I'm not sure I want to wait on SRAM to send me a replacement.

1 hour ago, 2manyhobbies said:

The guys at Highland said it's a warranty issue. I'm starting the 4th season on these brakes and have been thinking about upgrading anyway. I'm not sure I want to wait on SRAM to send me a replacement.

My brakes are RS, my mistake.  I may call JRA Cycles and talk with them.  I had to them off again and cleaned the piston.  It only one on each brake.

Guide brakes have a lever issue with the piston sticking.  It is a warranty issue.  I am contacting SRAM or LBS and checking this for replacement.

Headed up to Stowe this past weekend and rode Saturday. Some light rain made things interesting (aka slick). My wife shuttled my son and me to the Von Trapp outdoor center where we did the climb up to the cabin. It's a pretty good climb, for me anyway, at a little over 250' a mile:

image.png.37f3f900e592173a806a07d7139e75fd.png

image.thumb.png.c41649ae8e38717d740d320dfba7ab52.png

First time my son has beat me to the top :)From there, we bombed back down Growler, Tap Line, and Lodge Spur before hitting Pipeline down to the high school. It was my son's first time on Pipeline and he loved it. From there we cruised the road into town to ride Cady Hill. It still has a lot closed from the wind storm last fall, so we just climbed up Charlie's from iRide and then down lower Flo's.

Headed up to Stowe this past weekend and rode Saturday. Some light rain made things interesting (aka slick). My wife shuttled my son and me to the Von Trapp outdoor center where we did the climb up to the cabin. It's a pretty good climb, for me anyway, at a little over 250' a mile:
image.png.37f3f900e592173a806a07d7139e75fd.png
image.thumb.png.c41649ae8e38717d740d320dfba7ab52.png
First time my son has beat me to the top From there, we bombed back down Growler, Tap Line, and Lodge Spur before hitting Pipeline down to the high school. It was my son's first time on Pipeline and he loved it. From there we cruised the road into town to ride Cady Hill. It still has a lot closed from the wind storm last fall, so we just climbed up Charlie's from iRide and then down lower Flo's.
That looks great! Been wanting to check out Stowe's trails. All the pics I've seen look really fun.

June 2018 recap: 

• Logged 67 miles. 
  • All XC (no lift-served). 
  • Almost all on my fat tires, although did switch out for a couple of rides.  I mention this because even though the fat tires are a ton of fun, they are definitely more of a slog sometimes. 
  • Not much variety.  Almost all of it was on 3 trails networks. 

I know I'm not going to beat that in July because I have 2 weeks of work travel.  Otherwise hoping that Aug, Sept, and Oct might be as much as double June's mileage. 

Walked out of the woods last night. No injury to me but the bike was hurting.  I lost my drive train going up a steep narrow trail across the fall line.  The pawls in the free hub let go.  I am going to upgrade to the ratchet style. 54Teeth.  I just to buy the whole free hub.  I think I need to replace the teeth in the hub also.  I hope my hub has the replaceable type.

Edit.  Hub is not upgradable after all.  Also, the teeth in the hub itself are damaged.  I am most likely going to get a wheel built with the 54T hub and rebuild this one as a wheel to ride in ACK on the bike paths.

Edited by Puck it

I am having a new wheel built up with a DT Swiss 350 36T ratchet hub and EX512 rim.  I am putting a 2.4" High Roller II on it. The LBS in Beverly is doing it for $450.  It should be bomb proof.  I am rebuilding the old wheel for bike path riding with the wife. 

I am having a new wheel built up with a DT Swiss 350 36T ratchet hub and EX512 rim.  I am putting a 2.4" High Roller II on it. The LBS in Beverly is doing it for $450.  It should be bomb proof.  I am rebuilding the old wheel for bike path riding with the wife. 
Awesome move!

Old wheel rebuilt and riding again after a week off. New wheel is waiting for just a cassette to arrive and be mount to give it a try.

Alright! Curiosity got the best of me and I booked a Find Your Ride at Highlands for Sunday.

Fingers crossed I leave unscathed. 

This is also my 69th post.

tenor.gif?itemid=4084933

Edited by frapcap
  • Like 1

Alright! Curiosity got the best of me and I booked a Find Your Ride at Highlands for Sunday.
Fingers crossed I leave unscathed. 

This is also my 69th post.
tenor.gif?itemid=4084933
Looking forward to a report. Enjoy!

Man, I have no idea how those pros do the downhill thing. 

Its invigorating, scary, dangerous, rewarding, and a hell of an adrenaline rush all in one. Its wicked fun, but overall am not sure that its for me since I don't want a wreck to ruin my ski season. I smashed a couple times. Nothing too major, but comes with the territory of trying new things. 

I might go to hang out at the bar since the vibe is awesome though. 

3 hours ago, frapcap said:

Its invigorating, scary, dangerous, rewarding, and a hell of an adrenaline rush all in one. Its wicked fun, but overall am not sure that its for me since I don't want a wreck to ruin my ski season. I smashed a couple times. Nothing too major, but comes with the territory of trying new things. 

That's awesome that you gave it a whirl.  I still have never done lift-served downhill MTB.  I enjoy the riding up part too much.  But it's definitely on my list to try before the end of the summer. 

4 hours ago, frapcap said:

Glad you gave it a shot. It's funny, but I've switched 180. I don't want to get injured during ski season now so it doesn't screw up my riding season :)

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

That's awesome that you gave it a whirl.  I still have never done lift-served downhill MTB.  I enjoy the riding up part too much.  But it's definitely on my list to try before the end of the summer. 

If you like the uphill, Highland has Wednesduro on Wednesday nights from 5:30 to 8:30. You can pedal up Freedom Trail and then ride back down whatever you want.

• Like 1

After some failed attempts recently I finally dialed in a great ride at PRKR MTN in Littleton.  The lower trails are are super fun single track (more about the upper trails below).  These trails are NEW!  Many of the cuts looked like they happened yesterday.  I can only imagine that the place is going to better bigger and better. 

Nice trails with great signage.

IMG_20180805_121936290_HDR.thumb.jpg.34819d52c725761c8008f89149e77328.jpg

IMG_20180805_112850610.thumb.jpg.321cba2868c36bd8d874a8a6d0e7ece4.jpg

IMG_20180805_111643518.thumb.jpg.a69d22cf7c388d7aa2c29cb33e9fae4a.jpg

The upper trails are tough!  Lots and lots of climbing.  And very rocky, bouldery descents.  I was cooked before I could make it to the top.  Goals!....

PRKR.thumb.JPG.e48541574270260ccb2c50ed6b21d48e.JPG

IMG_20180805_120829569.thumb.jpg.5bffcca504498bea3be7df4580d66142.jpg

15 minutes ago, Puck it said:

Looks good.  Deck is done and I can get out now. Nice rock garden in the last pic.

It's more like a rock farm than garden! It was basically like that for over a mile.  I was happy to be on the fat tires at low PSI.