There is a 12 mile ride that I do from my house sometimes.  It combines ~4 miles of hilly road riding, 4 miles of flat but very rocky terrain, 2 miles of wet and unforgiving climbs, and 2 miles of bombing descents.  I've done it on several different bikes and always got my ass kicked by on section or another.  On Sunday I tried a weird setup on my fat bike:  4.5" fat tire in the back to handle the wet climb and the rocky flats, with 2.2" 29er tires on the front for the road.  The only place it lacked was on the downhill, but mostly because I didn't have lot of confidence the front wheel.  Otherwise it crushed it, and it was fun to try something unique!

IMG_20180930_102033680.jpg

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

There is a 12 mile ride that I do from my house sometimes.  It combines ~4 miles of hilly road riding, 4 miles of flat but very rocky terrain, 2 miles of wet and unforgiving climbs, and 2 miles of bombing descents.  I've done it on several different bikes and always got my ass kicked by on section or another.  On Sunday I tried a weird setup on my fat bike:  4.5" fat tire in the back to handle the wet climb and the rocky flats, with 2.2" 29er tires on the front for the road.  The only place it lacked was on the downhill, but mostly because I didn't have lot of confidence the front wheel.  Otherwise it crushed it, and it was fun to try something unique!

IMG_20180930_102033680.jpg

A bastard set up for sure.  I have seen a 27.5 up front and a 26 in back though.

22 minutes ago, Puck it said:

A bastard set up for sure.  I have seen a 27.5 up front and a 26 in back though.

I've seen that too, and I completely don't understand it.  At least in my setup the diameters were the same so they rolled well together. 

2 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

I've seen that too, and I completely don't understand it.  At least in my setup the diameters were the same so they rolled well together. 

It comes from motocross. Dirt bikes typically have a 21" front and 18" rear wheel with the front being skinnier than the rear. Taller and skinny in the front for better handling, shorter and wider in the rear to get the bike to hook up better. The UCI just revised the rule book to allow different size tires in DH. I won't be surprised if we see some 29/27.5 bikes racing next season.

2003 Specialized Big Hit. 26" front/24" rear ?

2003-Specialized-Big-Hit-DH.jpg

Edited by 2manyhobbies
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2manyhobbies said:

It comes from motocross. Dirt bikes typically have a 21" front and 18" rear wheel with the front being skinnier than the rear. Taller and skinny in the front for better handling, shorter and wider in the rear to get the bike to hook up better. The UCI just revised the rule book to allow different size tires in DH. I won't be surprised if we see some 29/27.5 bikes racing next season.

2003 Specialized Big Hit. 26" front/24" rear ?

2003-Specialized-Big-Hit-DH.jpg

No kidding, I had no idea!  I have zero moto experience.  Good to know that my idea wasn't all that crazy (or original).  

9 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Thanks. Now if the rain would just let up!

I hear ya. Any tips on things to look for in a fat bike? I'm seriously looking at picking one up for the winter. Seems the biggest things I need to decide on is whether I get one with a suspension fork or not and the size of the tires. The guys at the LBS say 27.5 x 4 is where it's at, and since this is going to be a winter only bike, I don't need a suspension fork. Of course, the only bike that they have at the shop in my size is exactly that - fully rigid on 27.5 x 4.

7 minutes ago, 2manyhobbies said:

I hear ya. Any tips on things to look for in a fat bike? I'm seriously looking at picking one up for the winter. Seems the biggest things I need to decide on is whether I get one with a suspension fork or not and the size of the tires. The guys at the LBS say 27.5 x 4 is where it's at, and since this is going to be a winter only bike, I don't need a suspension fork. Of course, the only bike that they have at the shop in my size is exactly that - fully rigid on 27.5 x 4.

That setup sounds pretty spot on.  My fattie tires are 26 x 4.7.   The 26" was all that was out there when I bought a few years ago. They are fine and the diameter is actually more like 29".  Seems like 27.5 would be a good call and really fun.  The 4.7 wide is overkill. They are great in the snow but my wife's are 3.8 (I think) and perform almost as good in the snow and roll WAY better in all other conditions.

I like the Bluto fork upfront but it's definitely not critical.  The tire pressures are so low anyway (6-12) that both ends just roll over everything without suspension. 

I'm always seeing fat bikes for sale on CL and PinkBike at low prices. Unlike regular MTBs I don't think fatties get hammered very hard since the riding tends to be so slow and soft. As a result I think used fat bikes don't come with as many potential issues. 

Then again, you could go Full suspension, carbon!  https://www.framedbikes.com/collections/fat-bikes/products/beartrax-carbon-full-suspension-fat-bike-27-5

10 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

That setup sounds pretty spot on.

Thanks. That's good to hear. It's a leftover Salsa Beargrease that's discounted to the point that it's in the same ballpark as some of the bikes I've been looking at on Bikes Direct.

First ride on the new Trek. Holy crap it's FAST! I did my local loop that I've ridden ~25 times this summer already. I got PRs on almost every section. And I'm still dialing it in!

• Like 1

Great fall weekend of riding!

10.5 miles, 1,200' of elevation on Saturday at Blue Hills. Lots of huge climbs and descents. Lots of stuff way above my skill and comfort level.  Felt great to push the envelope even if I had to swallow my pride and do some walking.

Bhill.thumb.JPG.a9c6958eaff40fad3aef84d4e8650eef.JPG

Then more ups and downs on Sunday in Marshfield with @Puck it .  6.5 miles and 425 elevation (that feels like a lot more!!).  Muggy day that felt more like summer than fall. 

chill.thumb.JPG.b6ec1b873aedd127d81da297193826ac.JPG

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Great fall weekend of riding!

10.5 miles, 1,200' of elevation on Saturday at Blue Hills. Lots of huge climbs and descents. Lots of stuff way above my skill and comfort level.  Felt great to push the envelope even if I had to swallow my pride and do some walking.

Bhill.thumb.JPG.a9c6958eaff40fad3aef84d4e8650eef.JPG

Then more ups and downs on Sunday in Marshfield with @Puck it .  6.5 miles and 425 elevation (that feels like a lot more!!).  Muggy day that felt more like summer than fall. 

chill.thumb.JPG.b6ec1b873aedd127d81da297193826ac.JPG

It was a very good ride yesterday.  I was apprehensive on the some the sections as not having ridden the trails before.  It was nice to be pushed since I ride alone all the time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 2manyhobbies said:

Took Friday off and rode at Highland. Perfect day for riding. Started pushing things a little too hard and had a good crash. Gear took the brunt of the fall, but I'm a little sore. Time for a new helmet.IMG_20181005_132329_658.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

As someone who does head injury research I love this picture. Damn thing really saved your ass. 

19 hours ago, Flying Yeti said:

As someone who does head injury research I love this picture. Damn thing really saved your ass. 

I don't know. My ass is still pretty sore ;)

In all seriousness, you're absolutely right. It did its job so well, I didn't realize how bad it was. The guy I was riding with mentioned I got my helmet pretty good, but I figured it was just scratched. I didn't see the actual damage until I took it off while waiting in the lift line. New 100% Status on order.

• Like 2

Took a cruise over to the 'East Side' of Whites to check out the new-ish trails in the Marshall Conservation area in Conway.  At 11am it was 36 and snowing at the top of the Kanc!! First snow of the year for me!  I would have stopped for pics but the leaf-peeper road scene was crazy.  I've never seen so many people hanging out sunroofs with cameras. Got into Conway and ran straight into a parking lot of tourists.  The good news was that they were all on the same conga line.  Got over to a buddies house on West Side Road and climbed onto the trails out straight out his back door.  Then we only saw 3 other people all day. 

These are great trails!  Mostly built by NEMBA on Conway-owned land.  They offer great climbs, great views, and phenomenal twisty bermed descents. Truly artistic trail building in places!  Already dying to get back there.

Capped it off with excellent BBQ over in Fryburg at 302.  A must hit!

IMG_20181013_140631699.thumb.jpg.600f67b70fbc3576d5fa310676425c23.jpg

IMG_20181013_140508990.thumb.jpg.c33b0a277ce846c07102be9c0ea1a607.jpg

IMG_20181013_174300732.thumb.jpg.846566d5d0c5f02d3c87761fe1d6640c.jpg

marshal.thumb.JPG.a8d154b9671443c3b7c5e6cca76de6d1.JPG

• Like 2

This followed me home last week. Finally took it for a test ride yesterday, and I'm absolutely amazed at the traction! The trails were pretty damp yesterday, with a lot of wet leaves and slick roots. I decide to go with 8 PSI up front and 10 in back. I never spun the rear wheel once. If it were to ever become my daily driver in the warm months, I would definitely put a suspension fork on the front, but it still wasn't too bad. Kind of brought back memories of riding my '94 Cannondale Beast of the East, only with better traction, brakes, and drive train :) Can't wait to ride it in the snow!

salsa.thumb.jpg.0e5972e7e2a4ec8ab2def8c2d882e51b.jpg

This followed me home last week. Finally took it for a test ride yesterday, and I'm absolutely amazed at the traction! The trails were pretty damp yesterday, with a lot of wet leaves and slick roots. I decide to go with 8 PSI up front and 10 in back. I never spun the rear wheel once. If it were to ever become my daily driver in the warm months, I would definitely put a suspension fork on the front, but it still wasn't too bad. Kind of brought back memories of riding my '94 Cannondale Beast of the East, only with better traction, brakes, and drive train  Can't wait to ride it in the snow!
salsa.thumb.jpg.0e5972e7e2a4ec8ab2def8c2d882e51b.jpg
Nice, pulled the trigger! That is a sweet ride. Yeah, the traction is just incredible. You can confidently climb anything. Your legs end up being the limiting factor. And decsending is the same thing, so much traction rolling over any terrain.

Anyone here do the Wicked Ride yesterday? I was originally planning to but decided against due to the weather. And unrelated, but it was cool to see a few cars with bikes on the roof in the Wildcat parking lot on Saturday.