Sign in to follow this  
kdaffy

6 Million Vert +

Pretty amazing record, broken right in our back yard!

https://snowbrains.com/killington-vertical-feet-world-record/

Talk about dedication and commitment (and maybe a little bit of crazy)! A 65-year-old Killington, VT man has just (unofficially) set a new world record for the number of vertical feet skied in a season.

Scott Howard has been trying to set his record at Killington, VT who are currently one of a handful of resorts still open, and plan to be until at least the end of May.

All season, Mr. Howard has been skiing 8-9 hours a day, every day, clocking up around 60 runs a day and will continue until the season ends. So far he has skied more than 6 million vertical feet this season alone

2 hours ago, kdaffy said:

Pretty amazing record, broken right in our back yard!

https://snowbrains.com/killington-vertical-feet-world-record/

Talk about dedication and commitment (and maybe a little bit of crazy)! A 65-year-old Killington, VT man has just (unofficially) set a new world record for the number of vertical feet skied in a season.

Scott Howard has been trying to set his record at Killington, VT who are currently one of a handful of resorts still open, and plan to be until at least the end of May.

All season, Mr. Howard has been skiing 8-9 hours a day, every day, clocking up around 60 runs a day and will continue until the season ends. So far he has skied more than 6 million vertical feet this season alone

I have a new goal for when I retire. I feel like that is a beatable record. I've done over 100,000 vertical feet in a day. That should scale nicely.

• Like 1

I found him on Trace.  Some pretty insane stats!!  I'm impressed for sure...but I hope to never be that tied to a goal. All I can think about is all of the crappy days and the other parts of life missed in order to get this.

Killington.JPG

4 hours ago, Weatherman said:

I have a new goal for when I retire. I feel like that is a beatable record. I've done over 100,000 vertical feet in a day. That should scale nicely.

Yep, long blue square groomers. Pair of GS Racetigers 

Lotsa laps, high speed quad.

Doable. Gotta really put the hammer down on fast, bluebird days.

Go get it @Weatherman !! ??

Edited by hrstrat57

5 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

I found him on Trace.  Some pretty insane stats!!  I'm impressed for sure...but I hope to never be that tied to a goal. All I can think about is all of the crappy days and the other parts of life missed in order to get this.

Killington.JPG

This sort of sums up how I feel.  I don’t even care to track how many days I ski, leave alone how much vert...  I’m more interested in the enjoyment of skiing, and I don’t bother with the “stats”.  

• Like 1

Good for him. But, yup...

6 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

All I can think about is all of the crappy days and the other parts of life missed in order to get this.

Some of my best days were only a single run. I can't imagine skiing in the rain or -10*F on hard packed groomers all day just to hit that type or record.

S'all good if that is what motivates and satisfies you as a skier, we all have different views on these issues. But it would only be an interesting record to me if he enjoyed 100% every single foot of vertical...

• Like 2

This guy’s biggest day for vert was at Crotched.  143 runs.  I wonder how many runs it took before he was bored?!

Although I guess if you are looking to pad your vert stats, crotched is a good place to do it (fast lift, lots of groomers, and having night-skiing available for the additional hours)

788AF9EE-49B2-4053-BF77-2C478BE0CD1D.png

Edited by BumpOut

On 5/16/2018 at 3:10 PM, Smellytele said:

143 runs. I get bored there after 10.

Yeah, I hear you there. Unless the trees are in play. Even then, I go to Crotched either for the race league or just to get out of the house for a half day.