Weatherman

Vail purchases Okemo, Sunapee, Crested Butte, and Stevens Pass

Interesting, Vail is going to spend more in 2018 than it did in 2017 for major capital projects.  The recently released 3rd quarter report clearly showed that having resorts in multiple regions is good for the bottom line.

Quotes are from the Vail Daily article about the report.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/vail-resorts-third-quarter-shows-positive-results-from-ski-season-pass-sales/

Katz said the company's mountain revenue increased 7.1 percent from the same period in 2017. Lift revenue grew 7.9 percent for the quarter. Total visitation grew 6.4 percent.

Much of that gain came from resorts in places other than Colorado. But, Katz said, late-season snow in Colorado brought more visitors, showing that demand for ski vacations exists among "high-end consumers."

Acknowledging the "challenging" weather at Colorado resorts, Katz said the company's third-quarter results show the "resilience" of the company's business model, which includes both geographic diversity and season-pass sales.

CAPITAL SPENDING

Regarding existing resorts, Katz said the company has a $150 million capital spending plan for this year. That spending includes $40 million at Whistler; spending at Park City to improve family areas, dining and snowmaking; and a new chair at Heavenly. In the wake of this week's purchase announcement, Vail Resorts intends to spend $36 million at those four resorts over the next two years. Specific plans will be announced after the deals close this summer. 

On 6/4/2018 at 2:39 PM, hrstrat57 said:

I will continue to support our independent NE ski hills......for as long as they exist.

Y’all can do what you want. Suggest you consider doing the same.

What are the 10 top independents now in NE? Top 20?  Thanks.

9 hours ago, JimK said:

What are the 10 top independents now in NE? Top 20?  Thanks.

Hard to come up with 20...

Just coming up with 10

Cannon

Smuggs

MRG

Bolton

Magic

Waterville

Ragged

Pats

Gunstock

Shawnee Peak

WAWA

After that they are really all pretty small

Whaleback

Dartmouth

Granite Gorge

MacIntyre

If NE is Northeast not New England:

Platty

Just coming up with 10
Cannon
Smuggs
MRG
Bolton
Magic
Waterville
Ragged
Pats
Gunstock
Shawnee Peak
WAWA
Whaleback
Dartmouth
Granite Gorge
MacIntyre
Platty

Sugarbush.

Realized that Windham is independent.  Was sold to a local group in 2006 by Snowtime so Snowtime could concentrate on their three resorts in PA that serve the DC/Baltimore market.  Later on, the CEO became the majority owner of Windham Mountain Partners.  He died in 2016.  Hmm . . .

From what I've seen of at the Windham base during the off-season, it could be of interest to Vail or Alterra for the NYC/NJ market.  Plus it has a very strong ski school and ski shop.  Bought out the local country club in 2013 to get the golf course.  Mermer Blakeslee's home base is Windham.  She's the author of A Conversation With Fear and does Fear Clinics at Windham that sell out very quickly.  Happens to be a pretty well established outdoor waterpark 20 min away.

Windham was on the MAX Pass for 2017-18 but not part of Ikon.

2 hours ago, JimK said:

What about Mt. Snow?

In NY, Hunter?

Both Peak. More independent than Vail resorts, but plenty of corporate hate for Peak. Just read through the Hunter threads on AZ from when Peak bought Hunter and at random points this winter.

B East/ Catamount, Black Mtn, King Pine, Butternut, Yawgoo Valley are a few more that quickly come to mind.

If you’ve got skiing kids King Pine is fabulous.....and show some linked shortswing turns down Pitch Pine and you’ve got my attention.

This thread last few posts reinforces my “I ain’t payin’ Vail a nickel “ attitude.

Edited by hrstrat57

Getting back to Vail buying Triple Peaks.  Here's an article about how people in Crested Butte felt in early June soon after the pending sale was announced.

http://mountaintownnews.net/2018/06/10/6081/ - June 10, 2018

” …

In Crested Butte, a community that takes its non-conformity seriously, the announcement of the sale was met with a shrug by many but, at least in a few cases, displeasure. If the community has always had to maintain a business relationship with mainstream America, it has assertively remained aloof in that relationship. Vail Resorts is the epitome of mainstream America, a public company with stock traded on Wall Street. It’s exactly what many people fled.

Others see Vail as a deep-pocketed operator with an obvious track of success. The hope in this camp of optimists is that Vail will buff a good but sometimes frayed skiing product into exactly the sort of ski area appealing to the mainstream.

…”

Black and Black of Maine, Mt Abram Bretton Woods

Just coming up with 10
Cannon
Smuggs
MRG
Bolton
Magic
Waterville
Ragged
Pats
Gunstock
Shawnee Peak
WAWA
Whaleback
Dartmouth
Granite Gorge
MacIntyre
Platty

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Black and Black of Maine, Mt Abram Bretton Woods

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bretton Woods is owned by Omni hotels, which is a chain. 

But they do not own any other ski areas that I know of.

I would count it as independent though because of the large number of hotels they own in other parts of the country.

1 hour ago, Benski said:

I would count it as independent though because of the large number of hotels they own in other parts of the country.

would or wouldn't?

35 minutes ago, Benski said:

wouldn't. 

This gets back to the discussion about what does "independent" mean.  To your point, Omni isn't independent because it falls into the category of giant, interstate, money-focused, evil empire.  But it's also fair to argue that Bretton Woods is an independent ski area since it isn't part of a big ski area conglomerate. BW pretty much functions as single, solitary ski area. 

On 6/15/2018 at 8:12 AM, Smellytele said:

But they do not own any other ski areas that I know of.

Actually, they do own and operate another ski area in the mid atlantic region. Small hill at Homestead Resort. 

• Thanks 1

Bump to find out if there's further news on this. Vail met with activists and community members at Sunapee in July, I read, with Vail trying to calm people's anxieties (e.g., no West Bowl expansion at the moment). DNR is supposed to make a decision by Oct. 1.

Not sure how I feel about Vail buying Triple Peaks. Any time Vail swoops in, some say it'll be the end of the world; some say it'll be fine. I'm no fan of the corporatization of the world, but I've already purchased an 18-19 Full Ride pass, so an Epic pass and a $50 refund won't kill me. Lots of great resorts on that pass where I'd hesitate to ski on day tickets.  (If they'd just throw in airfare and lodging, I'd know I was in heaven.)

29 minutes ago, deadheadskier said:

No West Bowl expansion at Sunapee would be a real bummer. They sure could both increased uphill and downhill capacity.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I’d like it, though I’ve been ambivalent. It’d cut my commute by nearly 10 minutes, and who doesn’t like more terrain to ski. We’ll see. I can’t imagine Vail will give the West bowl up in the long run — they’re avoiding a bull-in-the-china-shop entry into the local scene, I guess. 

Late to discussion but..... I call BS on some of this discussion. The shear size of some of the resorts listed below their extreme terrain as a percentage can keep any on busy for days. I have skied 7 of them and extreme skiing is not limited to Stowe and Whistler/Blackcomb. A Basin is awesome. Breck is pretty darn good off E Chair, Chair 6 and the bowls up high on Peak 8 and 7. Crested Butte is not shabby at all. Telluride I will not turn down either. Kicking Horse has runs up high that are steep as heck. Vail has some very nice runs in the back bowls and I can go on. Resorts below are all on the Epic Pass.

Resorts by the numbers (did not include advanced since you can do the math)

Stowe 71% easy or int and 15% extreme

Telluride 45% easy or int and 34% extreme

A Basin 27% easy or int and 24% extreme

Crested Butte 37% easy or int and 32% extreme

Beaver Creek 67% easy or int and 8% extreme

Vail 46% easy or int and 4% extreme

Whistler/Blackcomb 58% easy or int and 7% extreme

Breck 29% easy or int and 22% extreme

Fernie 70% easy or int and 5% extreme

Kicking Horse 40% easy for int and 15% extreme

Kirkwood 42% easy or int and 20 extreme.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Late to discussion but..... I call BS on some of this discussion. The shear size of some of the resorts listed below their extreme terrain as a percentage can keep any on busy for days. I have skied 7 of them and extreme skiing is not limited to Stowe and Whistler/Blackcomb. A Basin is awesome. Breck is pretty darn good off E Chair, Chair 6 and the bowls up high on Peak 8 and 7. Crested Butte is not shabby at all. Telluride I will not turn down either. Kicking Horse has runs up high that are steep as heck. Vail has some very nice runs in the back bowls and I can go on. Resorts below are all on the Epic Pass.

Resorts by the numbers (did not include advanced since you can do the math)

Stowe 71% easy or int and 15% extreme

Telluride 45% easy or int and 34% extreme

A Basin 27% easy or int and 24% extreme

Crested Butte 37% easy or int and 32% extreme

Beaver Creek 67% easy or int and 8% extreme

Vail 46% easy or int and 4% extreme

Whistler/Blackcomb 58% easy or int and 7% extreme

Breck 29% easy or int and 22% extreme

Fernie 70% easy or int and 5% extreme

Kicking Horse 40% easy for int and 15% extreme

Kirkwood 42% easy or int and 20 extreme.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

New rule; trail rating mean nothing.