Cannonballer

NH is the hole the NE pot doughnut

I'm a regular recreational marijuana user and have been since my early teens.  With that as my point of reference here is some of my personal experience on the topics in this thread (plus some others).

• Legalization will not change my level of consumption.  I use a little bit a few times a week.  Usually after dinner when I'm trying to relax and tune out my work world that is constantly buzzing in my head. It helps me sleep, which I otherwise don't do very well.  I also smoke sometimes while hiking and snowboarding, but not every time.  Once again, it helps me relax and focus on riding instead of having work problems creep into my head like they tend to do. The fact that it's now legal doesn't make me desire to use in new ways and/or at new times.  The only thing that legalization might change for me is that I might be more open to talking about pot use.  Such as writing this whole post!
  • I don't drive high. Part of the appeal of pot for me is that it turns my brain partially off.  I've done some pretty dumb things when high.  So I don't drive high. Nobody should.
  • It's not a gateway drug.  I smoked pot for the first time when I was in the 6th grade.  In the ~37 years since then I've never done any other drugs except alcohol.
  • It's healthier than alcohol. Yes, there are some negative health issues related with pot but they are far less than alcohol.  
  • It doesn't make you braindead, burnt-out, or any of the other stereotypical connotations.  As mentioned above, I've used pot for almost 40 years. I used it when I was putting myself through college while working 3 jobs and maintaining a 4.0 GPA.  I used it when I was in graduate school.  I used it while running several of my own successful businesses. I still use it while working two stressful jobs and juggling a host of community volunteer obligations. Many of the smartest and most successful people I know are regular users. 
  • I like legalization for a bunch of reasons:  1) I'm a 48 year old, 26 year married, home owning, professional, hard-working, generally law-abiding guy.  Being a "criminal" is not really something I like to include on that list.  2) I'd rather buy from a legitimate, permitted, monitored, inspected local business vs 'some guy'.  It's safer and I'd rather see my money spent on a legit local business.  3) I love to garden and being able to add a couple of pot plants to my garden is just fun and enjoyable. It's the highlight of my garden this year.  4) I like the tax benefit to my community.
I've never been much of a pot advocate.  I've always just used it for my own purposes and kept it to myself. But the increasing move towards legalization makes me happy for all of the reasons above. So I feel like it's worth adding my personal experience as someone who benefits. I'm sure there will be disagreement with some of this.  I'm more than happy have a friendly discussion about it.  That's the point right!?

Edit: One more thing. I never have and never would advocate that someone who isn't into pot should be into it. It's definitely very much a personal choice. To me the biggest benefit of legalization is that it makes it a two-way street of personal choice.

Edited by Cannonballer
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, thesnowway said:

I suspect more people do these things sober than stoned...

?

I'm not sure I see your point/how that matters.

My point was being high impairs your judgement and can make stupid and sometimes dangerous decisions seem like a good idea. There are plenty of sober people whose level of stupidity impairs their judgement without any substance help, sure, but that does not discredit the changes to one's decision making while impaired.

I see the point about aggression/anger for alcohol v. pot (Bar fights while high are not things), but saying being high doesn't drive dangerous decisions isn't true.

16 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

I'm a regular recreational marijuana user and have been since my early teens.  With that as my point of reference here is some of my personal experience on the topics in this thread (plus some others).

• Legalization will not change my level of consumption.  I use a little bit a few times a week.  Usually after dinner when I'm trying to relax and tune out my work world that is constantly buzzing in my head. It helps me sleep, which I otherwise don't do very well.  I also smoke sometimes while hiking and snowboarding, but not every time.  Once again, it helps me relax and focus on riding instead of having work problems creep into my head like they tend to do. The fact that it's now legal doesn't make me desire to use in new ways and/or at new times.  The only thing that legalization might change for me is that I might be more open to talking about pot use.  Such as writing this whole post!
  • I don't drive high. Part of the appeal of pot for me is that it turns my brain partially off.  I've done some pretty dumb things when high.  So I don't drive high. Nobody should.
  • It's not a gateway drug.  I smoked pot for the first time when I was in the 6th grade.  In the ~37 years since then I've never done any other drugs except alcohol.
  • It's healthier than alcohol. Yes, there are some negative health issues related with pot but they are far less than alcohol.  
  • It doesn't make you braindead, burnt-out, or any of the other stereotypical connotations.  As mentioned above, I've used pot for almost 40 years. I used it when I was putting myself through college while working 3 jobs and maintaining a 4.0 GPA.  I used it when I was in graduate school.  I used it while running several of my own successful businesses. I still use it while working two stressful jobs and juggling a host of community volunteer obligations. Many of the smartest and most successful people I know are regular users. 
  • I like legalization for a bunch of reasons:  1) I'm a 48 year old, 26 year married, home owning, professional, hard-working, generally law-abiding guy.  Being a "criminal" is not really something I like to include on that list.  2) I'd rather buy from a legitimate, permitted, monitored, inspected local business vs 'some guy'.  It's safer and I'd rather see my money spent on a legit local business.  3) I love to garden and being able to add a couple of pot plants to my garden is just fun and enjoyable. It's the highlight of my garden this year.  4) I like the tax benefit to my community.

I've never been much of a pot advocate.  I've always just used it for my own purposes and kept it to myself. But the increasing move towards legalization makes me happy for all of the reasons above. So I feel like it's worth adding my personal experience as someone who benefits. I'm sure there will be disagreement with some of this.  I'm more than happy have a friendly discussion about it.  That's the point right!?

Edit: One more thing. I never have and never would advocate that someone who isn't into pot should be into it. It's definitely very much a personal choice. To me the biggest benefit of legalization is that it makes it a two-way street of personal choice.

Agree with all of this, especially the friendly discussion point! 

Edited by Jully

I agree as well except on one point, there are those who do not understand moderation who are severely brain fried, like can't spell cat if you spotted them the c and t. Again it's all about moderation and control. I have encountered so many who cannot control the amount of alcohol they drink and have what we call squash rot to the point where they cannot walk and have to wear briefs all the time. But these are the exceptions and the things I worry about raising an 11 and 9 year old.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 7:11 PM, Cannonballer said:

A side thought about pot revenue....  I always read the Lincoln, NH police weekly police logs (hey, it's guilty pleasure!).   Every week there are 6-10 entries that read like this,  While on patrol, Officers stopped a vehicle for a speed of 43-mph in a 30-mph zone. During the stop The Officer  could detect a strong odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle. The driver willingly admitted to having marijuana in the car and proceeded to hand it and some paraphernalia over to Officers. The driver was issued a citation, a violation level offense, for possession of less than ¾ of an oz. of marijuana. The driver has the choice to pay the $124 fine or plead not guilty and be seen in court.    I assume that citation $$ goes to the local PD.  Whereas pot sales tax $$ would mostly go to the General Fund of which the local PD has to fight for the scraps of state funding.   So, is it possible that locals towns and PDs see more financial benefit from illegal vs legal pot?  Personally, I'd rather pay the tax than the fine.

I mentioned this before, but I still think it's kind of crazy.  Here are excerpts from the most recent Lincoln, NH Police logs (June).....

6/2/18- 1418 hrs. - During a routine motor vehicle stop, Officer Lowe could detect an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle. The driver and passenger both admitted to having marijuana in the car and willingly handed over the drugs. The driver was issued a warning for speed (43 mph in a 30-mph zone) and both were issued a citation, a violation level offense, for possession of less than ¾ of an oz. of marijuana and were sent on their way.

6/2/18- 1918- During a routine motor vehicle stop, Captain Burnham could detect an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle. The passenger admitted to having marijuana in the car and willingly handed over the drugs and paraphernalia. The passenger was issued a citation, a violation level offense, for possession of less than ¾ of an oz. of marijuana and was sent on his way.

6/8/18 1811 hrs.- During a routine motor vehicle stop, Officer Davis could detect an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle. The driver admitted to having marijuana in the car and willingly handed over the drugs and paraphernalia. The driver was issued a warning for the speed and defective equipment, brake light and a citation, a violation level offense, for possession of less than ¾ of an oz. of marijuana and was sent on his way.

6/8/18 1917 hrs.- During a routine motor vehicle stop, Officer Davis could detect an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle. The driver admitted to having marijuana in the car and willingly handed over the drugs and paraphernalia. The driver was issued a warning for speed and issued a citation, a violation level offense, for possession of less than ¾ of an oz. of marijuana and was sent on his way.

6/15/18 1944 hrs. - During a routine motor vehicle stop, Officer Davis could detect an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle. The driver admitted to having marijuana in the car and willingly handed over the drugs and paraphernalia. The driver was issued a citation, a violation level offense, for possession of less than ¾ of an oz. of marijuana and was sent on his way.

6/16/18 1144 hrs. - During a routine motor vehicle stop, Officer Lowe could detect an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle. The driver admitted to having marijuana in the car and willingly handed over the drugs and paraphernalia. The driver was issued a warning for speed (47 mph in a 30-mph zone) and a citation, a violation level offense, for possession of less than ¾ of an oz. of marijuana and was sent on his way.

6/20/18 1513 hrs. - During a routine motor vehicle stop, Officer Lowe could detect an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle. The driver admitted to having marijuana in the car and willingly handed over the drugs and paraphernalia. The driver was issued a warning for defective equipment, brake light and a citation, a violation level offense, for possession of less than ¾ of an oz. of marijuana. It should be noted during this stop the driver did faint during the interview with Officer Lowe, Officer Lowe requested an ambulance and the driver was evaluated. He reported to have been hiking all day and was dehydrated and had not eaten anything. After the ambulance assessed the driver, they agreed he was ok to drive and he was sent on his way.

6/24/18 0655 hrs. - During a routine motor vehicle stop, Officer Davis could detect an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle. The driver admitted to having marijuana in the car and willingly handed over the drugs and paraphernalia. The driver was issued a citation, a violation level offense, for possession of less than ¾ of an oz. of marijuana and was sent on his way.

6/29/18 1020 hrs. - During a routine motor vehicle stop, Officer’s Lowe and Davis could detect an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle. The driver admitted to having marijuana in the car and willingly handed over the drugs and paraphernalia. The driver was issued a warning for speed and a citation, a violation level offense, for possession of less than ¾ of an oz. of marijuana and was sent on his way.

6/30/18 0837 hrs. - - During a routine motor vehicle stop, Officer Lowe could detect an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle. During the consent search, marijuana, drug paraphernalia and alcohol was located. The driver was taken in to custody and charged with unlawfully transporting alcohol by a minor and the passenger was issued a citation, a violation level offense, for possession of less than ¾ of an oz. of marijuana and was sent on their way.

• Like 1