Sign in to follow this  
Weatherman

indoor skiing

The indoor ski slope being built in New Jersey finally has an opening date: March, 2019.
Finally, an acceptable reason to go to New Jersey.
Drove past it today for work. You'd have to pay me A LOT to even consider skiing there. (If you can even call it skiing).

Drove past it today for work. You'd have to pay me A LOT to even consider skiing there. (If you can even call it skiing).

I just want to try it for the sake of it. Ideally it would be summer and I would be focusing on improving skills.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:21 PM, Cannonballer said:
On 7/19/2018 at 4:20 PM, Weatherman said:
The indoor ski slope being built in New Jersey finally has an opening date: March, 2019.
Finally, an acceptable reason to go to New Jersey.

It will be manmade snow, not plastic.  Shouldn't be much different than a blue groomer in the southeast that must be based on 100% snowmaking.  My home mountain averages 25 inches of snow per year.

I gave Liberty Snowflex a try last summer (Lynchburg, VA).  That's harder to call real skiing.  Makes a lot more sense for park fans.  My friend who went with me called in a cross between sand and slush.  Being outdoors, it was really hot given temps in the low 90s.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:38 PM, Benski said:

I just want to try it for the sake of it.

This. I could be convinced to make the drive down on a slow weekend next summer. Better being stuck at home.

This. I could be convinced to make the drive down on a slow weekend next summer. Better being stuck at home.

Remember, MetLife Stadium is next door...

17 hours ago, Benski said:

Remember, MetLife Stadium is next door...

Thanks, good to know. Not being from the area, that place might as well be Alabama. I know nothing about it.

58 minutes ago, Puck it said:

I saw that.  Why not just cover Superstar with a roof and refrigerator the ground.

that would not be a huge surprise for me.

On 5/30/2019 at 3:04 PM, 2manyhobbies said:

Proposal is in partnership with Snow World in the Netherlands, which has been running an indoor ski resort for about 20 years.  The CEO of Active-X has been a consultant in the energy industry for a while.  He happens to be Dutch.  Snow World also has the largest indoor snow facility in Europe, Landgraaf, which includes:

• #1: an official FIS piste, red, 369m length by 37m width, 6-person chairlift + tow lift;

• #2: the longest indoor run in the Benelux, blue, 387m length by 28m width, 6-person chairlift + two ski tows; 

• #3: beginner slope, green, 55m length by 26m width, magic carpet;

• #4: tubing and various group activities, blue, 45m length by 23m width, magic carpet;

• Kinderland: a gentle practice slope suitable for the smallest children, green, 20m length, magic carpet;

• Funpark [terrain park]: the biggest fun park in Europe, with rails, boxes and kickers, about 200m length.

Here's a freestyle training video from Landgraaf created in 2011.  Gives a glimpse in to the resort.  The girl in the video is Kelly Sildaru, who won a gold at the X Games in 2016 when she was 13.  Her little brother is competing too.  They are sponsored by Faction.  Kelly had to miss the 2018 Winter Olympics after blowing an ACL at the end of the previous season. 

https://freeskier.com/stories/the-power-of-two-behind-the-scenes-of-the-sildaru-siblings-partnership-with-faction-skis

-