Sign in to follow this  
Weatherman

Jay Peak and Burke sale

Today's news is that the sale of Jay Peak has been delayed a year until next summer. And Burke is off the market indefinitely as the receiver has yet to figure out how to profitably operate the mountain.

Goldberg wrote in his latest filing that much of the property title work associated with putting Jay Peak up for sale is now complete. He added that he expects the sale of Jay Peak and its hotel complexes, condos and water park to be finished by sometime next year, after this season ski.

But, before putting Burke and its 116-room hotel and conference center on the market, the receiver wrote he is “considering additional construction to increase job creation.”

The receiver doesn’t say what that “additional construction” may be, or how it would be paid for. The filing also does not specifically say by how many jobs the Burke project fell short.

18 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Today's news is that the sale of Jay Peak has been delayed a year until next summer. And Burke is off the market indefinitely as the receiver has yet to figure out how to profitably operate the mountain.

I really hope they still go for a pre thanksgiving opening, if not then my pass combo may not have been a good idea and ill be hunting down early season Wildcat tickets for longer than planned. 

1 hour ago, MimersG said:

I really hope they still go for a pre thanksgiving opening, if not then my pass combo may not have been a good idea and ill be hunting down early season Wildcat tickets for longer than planned. 

Do they often open before Thanksgiving? Even at Wildcat that's not always the case.

6 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Do they often open before Thanksgiving? Even at Wildcat that's not always the case.

Yeah they usually shoot for the Jet at least by thanksgiving. I'm worried that because they are selling next year they will go full maximize profit over all else and wait till mid December or something crazy like that. 

I've never known Jay to shoot for pre-Tday...

...that said, no major resort is not going to open Tday weekend unless November is brutally hot.

Edited by thesnowway

58 minutes ago, thesnowway said:

I've never known Jay to shoot for pre-Tday...

...that said, no major resort is not going to open Tday weekend unless November is brutally hot.

They usually open thanksgiving week but they start making snow usually same as wildcat does. I'm not sure why they do it but they used to like opening with Jet and Haynes buried with snow when they usually have enough to open (and people absolutely hike it) prior. This year they opened the 17th while they could have hit the 12th. They are sadly too far north to get people that early so they don't open even when they have the temps. Though who knows, maybe with Stowe being vail limited to a set date things will change, expecially so when Jay sells. 

0709D4D6-CD8D-4E70-B3F3-B35AD702EE2D.png

1 hour ago, MimersG said:

Yeah they usually shoot for the Jet at least by thanksgiving. I'm worried that because they are selling next year they will go full maximize profit over all else and wait till mid December or something crazy like that. 

All Jay season openers I've hit have been day after T-day.  Admittedly I haven't been to all (or even most) of their season openers. 

Can't tell you how many times I've hiked Jay before Tday for powder. I am fine with Tday openings. 

Not sure why they would have opened a week before Tday this past season. I don't recall November 2017 being particularly productive for natural or man made.

On 8/14/2018 at 3:05 PM, Weatherman said:

And Burke is off the market indefinitely as the receiver has yet to figure out how to profitably operate the mountain.

Is it?