Sign in to follow this  
Puck it

Boys and Girls or whatever you identify as, Let's get this party started!

The 2018 Race To Open Is Underway

loveland-4.jpg?w=1000

With low temperatures forecasted in Colorado throughout the rest of the week, Rocky Mountain skiers and snowboarders should be getting excited for the 2018-2019 winter season. The neighborly competition between Loveland Ski Area and Arapahoe Basin to be the first open ski area in the United States has become a closely watched contest dubbed ‘The Race to Open’.

In the past 16 seasons the ski areas have battled it out for opening day bragging rights, sometimes with one ski area opening just a day before the other.  Last year the ‘Race to Open’ was won by Arapahoe Basin, who opened there Black Mountain Express Lift and High Noon Run on October 13th. Overall the record is close with Arapahoe Basin opening first 8 years, meanwhile Loveland has opened first 6 times and the ski areas have opened on identical days just twice.

As snow making crews begin to fire up this fall season across the country, it’s anyone’s guess who will get the favorable temperatures and early season storms to get skiers and snowboarders on the mountain. So place your bets now and to both crews, may the best ski area win.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

Didn't a New England area open first in the US one of those 16 years?

I believe it was this year

2015/2016 Oct 18 (season pass holders)

10_18Kton.jpg

Edited by Puck it

The 2018 Race To Open Is Underway

loveland-4.jpg?w=1000

With low temperatures forecasted in Colorado throughout the rest of the week, Rocky Mountain skiers and snowboarders should be getting excited for the 2018-2019 winter season. The neighborly competition between Loveland Ski Area and Arapahoe Basin to be the first open ski area in the United States has become a closely watched contest dubbed ‘The Race to Open’.

In the past 16 seasons the ski areas have battled it out for opening day bragging rights, sometimes with one ski area opening just a day before the other.  Last year the ‘Race to Open’ was won by Arapahoe Basin, who opened there Black Mountain Express Lift and High Noon Run on October 13th. Overall the record is close with Arapahoe Basin opening first 8 years, meanwhile Loveland has opened first 6 times and the ski areas have opened on identical days just twice.

As snow making crews begin to fire up this fall season across the country, it’s anyone’s guess who will get the favorable temperatures and early season storms to get skiers and snowboarders on the mountain. So place your bets now and to both crews, may the best ski area win.

My bet is on A Basin. However, both Loveland and A Basin are at the same elevation but on opposite sides of the Continental Divide. Probably a coin toss.

Killington opened first in 2015.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

21 hours ago, BumpOut said:

I’m happy to give it a few days to let the hype settle down and then go on a weekday.   

Let a few bumps form as well. Great way to get the legs ready. 

My concern on early weekends (which I avoid anyway) or midweek storms is the new six pack makes their limited early terrain even more of a shit show. 

Preseason check list

Richelson's Boot Fit - Check

Knee drained  - Check

Cortisone shot in knee - Check

PT for for hip - Check

Wait for snow

Edited by Puck it
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Puck it said:

Preseason check list

Richelson's Boot Fit - Check

Knee drained  - Check

Cortisone shot in knee - Check

PT for for hip - Check

Wait for snow

Get your Brazilian wax to decrease resistance and reach full tunaspeed?

16 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

Get your Brazilian wax to decrease resistance and reach full tunaspeed?

You are so right.  Au natural is back in but not good for speed   

On 10/12/2018 at 8:16 AM, Flying Yeti said:

K and SR should be open by next weekend imo. Weather is trending in the right direction. Dorset/Equinox should get a few inches Saturday.

I've been holding off posting until the time was ready to re-launch the blog. Things are coming more clearly into focus. I'm not sold that they'll be open by Saturday, 10/20, but it is a real possibility. I am comfortable predicting skiing for the weekend of October 27. Makes me smile!