Puck it

Stupid World Record

Says " pedaled under her own power behind the dragster’s “slipstream”." There is no gearing in the world that would allow you to pedal at 183mph and actually be contributing to moving you.

• Like 1

According to what I read, the gearing is pretty insane. It's a 62x12 on 62x12, double reduction that produces 488 gear inches that she can't really start pedaling until she hits 50 mph. If you trust wikipedia for mathematical formulae, 120 RPM cadence would be about 174 mph.

image.png.48bcec119d1114e7246b6ba356cbf64d.png

The car tows her up to speed, then she drops the cable and pedals her arse off.

Edited by 2manyhobbies

She is pedaling but not all that hard.  The slipstream is keeping in the pocket just like a truck on the interstate. No wash and very little resistance. She does have to pedal but would drop off on her speed immediately if she dropped back to far. I would say a cadence of 80 maybe 90. 

Edited by Puck it

Actually, she is pedaling hard, every time she pulls away from the vehicle she has to go all out so as to not drop out of the pocket.    It's only if she succeeds in surfing the back wave that she can relax as she pulls forward to the vehicle. 

IMO, just as difficult as surfing a monster wave with a jetski tow-in, except with gears and more salt. 

On a related note, one of my long-term pet project ideas has been to build a real-life Breaking Away bike.     You know that scene where he pulls around the truck at 60mph?    That.      Basically I want an hour record track bike with a giant chainwheel and street-capable brakes.    Sure each ride will be less than 3-4 miles but who cares. 

1 hour ago, SkiingInABlueDream said:

It makes no sense that the rider would be pedaling at any less than their personal maximum power output. By pedaling any less you're leaving speed on the table, which kind of defeats the purpose when you're seeking world records.

I am pretty sure the rider set the record when he let go of the vehicle, and started slowing down immediately  

1 hour ago, Benski said:

I am pretty sure the rider set the record when he let go of the vehicle, and started slowing down immediately  

You can clearly see her pedaling back up to the car and then backing off in the previous record video

16 hours ago, Meh said:

IMO, just as difficult as surfing a monster wave with a jetski tow-in, except with gears and more salt. 

....and considerably less chance of drowning.  ....and brakes.

Wow. Tough crowd.

17 hours ago, Benski said:

Wrong. It's a she, and like any other land speed record, it's an average speed over a mile.

"The tow rope was released some 1.5 miles into the run, Mueller-Korenek said on Facebook, "leaving 3.5 miles in the draft to achieve an average speed for the last mile of 183.9mph (between mile 4 & 5)!"

The previous record was set in 1995 using the same dragster used in this attempt.

"As they targeted the overall record, their team revamped the same dragster that was used to set the men's record. Dutch cyclist Fred Rompelberg, the now-previous record holder, had gone 167 mph behind the car in 1995."

Personally, I don't see how this any different than any other "speed record" attempt using specialized equipment and conditions. In any attempt like this, be it speed skiing, rocket propelled vehicle, or a bicycle, the consequences are pretty significant. If she were to get out of the slipstream of the dragster by not keeping up, she would have had a catastrophic, and possibly fatal crash. Considering the consequences of a crash, I guess you could call it stupid. In that case, I guess you could say the same for any speed record attempt where you could die if you screw up. Quotes above are from here:

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/18/649221471/woman-rides-bicycle-to-183-9-mph-a-new-world-record

On 9/18/2018 at 5:21 PM, Puck it said:

She does have to pedal but would drop off on her speed immediately if she dropped back to far.

Exactly. She had to turn that big, honkin' 62-11/62-11 gear over 3 miles to keep up with the dragster at speed. Otherwise, she would have crashed or not set the record. I doubt it was easy. I think if it was as easy as people seem to think, the record wouldn't have stood for 23 years.

Edited by 2manyhobbies
  • Like 1