Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Weatherman

No parking near Diana's Baths

Recommended Posts

The Conway selectman really know how to be friendly to tourist who represent the lifeblood of their economy. For several months now they have been pounding their first demanding that the state ban parking on West Side Road near Diana Bath's. Now they are getting their way:

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/newsx/131144-nhdot-agrees-to-post-diana-s-baths-road-no-parking

One of the most popular tourist attractions in the valley is about to get a whole lot less accessible. The article barely touches on the real issue which is the parking lot being far too small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless they figure out a workable solution by either expanding the parking lot or offering a shuttle service (from Echo lake?), a lot of problems they hope to eliminate will remain.  I could see a backed up line of traffic waiting at the entrance for a free space to open up.  Or folks will simply park outside of the no parking zone and take a longer walk in.  That situation will still result in a safety hazard of people walking along the road with likely much faster moving traffic.  IME driving on West Side Road in the summer, people tend to drive much slower due to all the cars on the sides of the road as opposed to winter when people fly to try and get around route 16/302 traffic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, deadheadskier said:

Unless they figure out a workable solution by either expanding the parking lot or offering a shuttle service (from Echo lake?), a lot of problems they hope to eliminate will remain.  I could see a backed up line of traffic waiting at the entrance for a free space to open up.  Or folks will simply park outside of the no parking zone and take a longer walk in.  That situation will still result in a safety hazard of people walking along the road with likely much faster moving traffic.  IME driving on West Side Road in the summer, people tend to drive much slower due to all the cars on the sides of the road as opposed to winter when people fly to try and get around route 16/302 traffic. 

Unintended consequences will certainly be a guarantee. I've been reading the (many) articles in the Conway Daily Sun leading up to this point. There have been several quotes from Selectmen talking about how hotels around the valley need to stop recommending Diana's Baths to guests so that they'll go somewhere else in the valley. I found those quotes to be surreal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Unintended consequences will certainly be a guarantee. I've been reading the (many) articles in the Conway Daily Sun leading up to this point. There have been several quotes from Selectmen talking about how hotels around the valley need to stop recommending Diana's Baths to guests so that they'll go somewhere else in the valley. I found those quotes to be surreal.

That is absolutely hilarious. Asinine would be another word to describe those quotes. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out over the summer. The original article linked specified that it was important to get the parking ban in place before memorial day. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jully said:

That is absolutely hilarious. Asinine would be another word to describe those quotes. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out over the summer. The original article linked specified that it was important to get the parking ban in place before memorial day. 

They went so far to offer reeducation camps "training sessions" for hospitality workers.

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/newsx/131050-nhdot-chief-to-meet-conway-selectman-about-diana-s-baths

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They went so far to offer reeducation camps "training sessions" for hospitality workers.
http://www.conwaydailysun.com/newsx/131050-nhdot-chief-to-meet-conway-selectman-about-diana-s-baths


Utter insanity. Anyone know how the locals feel about this up there? Are they in agreement with the selectmen?

Sent from my VS987 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this an issue because the designated parking over flows?  Do people park along the road because of that?  It looks like there is enough room to park off the West side of West Road with out causing too much trouble.

Dianas Bath.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Diana's Baths is great. I've spent many hours there over the yrs as we used to have a condo in the valley.
That said there are many other lesser known spots that don't get the traffic of Diana's.


Sent from my XT1254 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, dblskifanatic said:

Is this an issue because the designated parking over flows?  Do people park along the road because of that?  It looks like there is enough room to park off the West side of West Road with out causing too much trouble.

Dianas Bath.png

Up until now you were allowed to park along the road as long as you pulled off the pavement. A few neighboring home owners (not all permanent residents) started whining as if they didn't know that they bought a home next to one of the largest tourist attractions in the valley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been a problem on busy weekends for a long time and something needs to be done before someone gets killed. There's always a few cars that fail to park off the road and it's a 35 mph zone with pedestrians crossing at any given time. I'm not sure what the solution is but a bigger parking lot may be necessary. The trail head and parking lot was moved to the north in the late 90s for similar reasons. Unfortunately the problem is not isolated to just Diana's Bath and I'm not sure if slapping tourist with fines is the right course of action.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The selectmen need to find something else to talk about. Just in time for Memorial Day weekend...

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/newsx/131485-conway-selectmen-increase-parking-fines-at-diana-s-baths-900-percent

After just raising the fines five fold, they went back and further doubled them. Parking tickets went from $10 to $100. Way to be friendly to the lifeblood of your economy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2017 at 7:18 PM, Weatherman said:

The selectmen need to find something else to talk about. Just in time for Memorial Day weekend...

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/newsx/131485-conway-selectmen-increase-parking-fines-at-diana-s-baths-900-percent

After just raising the fines five fold, they went back and further doubled them. Parking tickets went from $10 to $100. Way to be friendly to the lifeblood of your economy!

38 tickets were issued over the weekend. $3800 for three days work. I bet that pays the salary of the police assigned to parking detail. As expected, the first pissed off tourists are complaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

38 tickets were issued over the weekend. $3800 for three days work. I bet that pays the salary of the police assigned to parking detail. As expected, the first pissed off tourists are complaining.

If they keep that pace - Class action lawsuit coming!

Edited by dblskifanatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lsrocket26 said:

If they are going to ban parking there, they should have a another spot for people to park. They know how popular that spot is.

The involved parties do not have their interests aligned. It was a second home owner that complained to the town. The Selectmen probably saw dollar signs and were afraid of being blamed if an accident occurred. The State controls the road, and the Forest Service controls the falls and parking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

The first letter to the editor of the Union Leader is in. Now surprisingly, tourist are angry. To me the best part is that they are writing the fine on the ticket in pen because they have not yet printed new tickets.

Its pretty egregious to have crossed out $15 and written in $100. Talk about a power play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Typical government whether city state or federal, they want additional revenue and raising taxes looks bad so gert it through fines which are basically a justifiable tax tied to a punishment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


This is not good. One asshat gets pissed off about tourists parking by his vacation home, and now the powers that be want to destroy the tourist economy.


Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Weatherman said:

 


This is not good. One asshat gets pissed off about tourists parking by his vacation home, and now the powers that be want to destroy the tourist economy.


Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

 

The kayak rental company I am working for now uses about 15 spaces out of 2000 at the site on a weekend and people complain we are using too many space. There are typical another 30 cars parked there to use our launch and some more using the train station at the launch but there is never any overlap in parking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


This is not good. One asshat gets pissed off about tourists parking by his vacation home, and now the powers that be want to destroy the tourist economy.


Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

The fourth paragraph is exactly the cause of the problem, Sullivan the 64 year old LAWYER!! ENOUGH SAID!

Sent from my XT1565 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Mobile Apps available!

Please try our mobile apps for iOS and Android

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.