Flying Yeti

First Snowmaking Windows

It's early but time to start thinking about snowmaking. After some warm temps tomorrow and early this week some models suggesting a possible window for snowmaking Oct 16-18th. 

• Like 2

A Basin which is generally quick out of the gate started making snow then the temps warmed up and they are back to square one. Even with temps that are cold enough this weekend - there is nothing. Loveland has not even attempted to start. I checked Killington as well and nothing there either. Makes me feel sad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

• Sad 1

First snowmaking window starts Wednesday night. It will be interesting to see who goes for it. Wildcat could get a solid 36 hour stretch top-to-bottom. Killington and SR are more borderline, but may hold the temperatures at elevation.

• Like 1

Man.. now this is getting difficult, Sunday River or Killington better opening weekend?

As of 12:30 killington is still going, this is crazy considering how warm it is

Edited by MimersG

1 hour ago, MimersG said:

Man.. now this is getting difficult, Sunday River or Killington better opening weekend?

As of 12:30 killington is still going, this is crazy considering how warm it is

Depends on a lot of factors.

Killington will probably be more of a zoo, but have more terrain.

You don't have to hike the stairs at Sunday River.

Slow triple at both locations.

Interested to see what happens.

-w

41 minutes ago, WJenness said:

Depends on a lot of factors.

Killington will probably be more of a zoo, but have more terrain.

You don't have to hike the stairs at Sunday River.

Slow triple at both locations.

Interested to see what happens.

-w

Yeah, Ill go killington if they are open friday, if not Ill go Sunday river if they are open this weekend. I certainly don't mind the hike and will be skiing somewhere this weekend. 

2 hours ago, MimersG said:

It would appear killington started this morning!

as of 10:20 still going, looks like they decided it was worth it to make snow at 30 degrees 

https://www.facebook.com/killingtonresort/videos/110450836532492/

I may actually go if they open, any tips on early killington?

early K?

Be prepared to stand in a very long line at the North Ridge triple if you aren't there first thing. It will die down after 1:30 or so.

Bring a small backpack with drinks and snacks. Leave it at the top of the triple at the bottom of the stairs. Some people also put their boots on there instead of at the lodge. Then you don't have to climb the stairs in your ski boots.

44 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

early K?

Be prepared to stand in a very long line at the North Ridge triple if you aren't there first thing. It will die down after 1:30 or so.

Bring a small backpack with drinks and snacks. Leave it at the top of the triple at the bottom of the stairs. Some people also put their boots on there instead of at the lodge. Then you don't have to climb the stairs in your ski boots.

All good advice. I did the stairway one year in October. That was the last time so long as Sunday River is an option. As suggested, bring your shoes up and put on your ski boots at the bottom of the stairs. Can't stress this point enough. And plan to not download at all during the day, though the same often goes for Sunday River where the download line can be epic.

Sunday River looks better. Looks like they are going top to bottom already. K will probably only have the North Face. 

What else do they have an opening day? Is it a party?  Do they barbecue, blast music, sell booze at the lifts. 

I assume Killington can keep Snowshed and Snowdon open for Mountain Biking. 

8 minutes ago, Benski said:

Sunday River looks better. Looks like they are going top to bottom already. K will probably only have the North Face. 

What else do they have an opening day? Is it a party?  Do they barbecue, blast music, sell booze at the lifts. 

I assume Killington can keep Snowshed and Snowdon open for Mountain Biking. 

No, I would not call it a party. This is a big difference between the Killington and Sunday River clientele. You'll see a fairly relaxed group of skiers just happy to be on the snow.

Lines for uploading from the mid-station can approach 20 minutes. Download lines can be an hour due to the lower download capacity.

Food service will be very limited to just a diminished menu at the cafeteria. Midweek you can easily enough download for lunch, but I would not try it weekends.

2 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

No, I would not call it a party. This is a big difference between the Killington and Sunday River clientele. You'll see a fairly relaxed group of skiers just happy to be on the snow.

Lines for uploading from the mid-station can approach 20 minutes. Download lines can be an hour due to the lower download capacity.

Food service will be very limited to just a diminished menu at the cafeteria. Midweek you can easily enough download for lunch, but I would not try it weekends.

What about Killington, is that a party? I am too busy to go anyway. Sunday River is 7:15 from Binghamton anyway. 

6 hours ago, Benski said:

What about Killington, is that a party? I am too busy to go anyway. Sunday River is 7:15 from Binghamton anyway. 

I did Killington on a Tuesday. It was tame then. Not too busy. Snow was good. A day well spent, except for that hike out. I'm sure Saturday is a different story.