Flying Yeti

First Snowmaking Windows

Wildcat has started lighting up the bottom. Not all the way down, but limited guns focused on the areas where they typically need extra coverage like the base and some of the corners. Photos taken this morning just as they were starting to light up the guns.

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

• Like 1

K is working to make the stairs one way pretty soon:

2CM4a2C.png

Mount Snow is doing some serious whale building on Free Fall:

JoVX6qk.jpg

They said to expect an update this afternoon re: Opening Plan.

Interested to see where things are at for the weekend across New England.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WJenness said:

K is working to make the stairs one way pretty soon:

2CM4a2C.png

Mount Snow is doing some serious whale building on Free Fall:

JoVX6qk.jpg

They said to expect an update this afternoon re: Opening Plan.

Interested to see where things are at for the weekend across New England.

I think Snow is the only other mountain possibly in play next weekend, right? I don't see Wildcat opening and imagine they're going for the first weekend in November. Would love to be wrong though.

If Snow opens, I'm most likely going there over SR and K. Insane to me that I'm closely watching Mt Snow. Their new system and aggressive approach is really changing the conversation with all sorts of skiers.

32 minutes ago, Jully said:

I think Snow is the only other mountain possibly in play next weekend, right? I don't see Wildcat opening and imagine they're going for the first weekend in November. Would love to be wrong though.

If Snow opens, I'm most likely going there over SR and K. Insane to me that I'm closely watching Mt Snow. Their new system and aggressive approach is really changing the conversation with all sorts of skiers.

Sounds like you have it about right. Wildcat simply lacks the capacity to get open so early. They can't blow continuously top to bottom.

32 minutes ago, Jully said:

If you could move further from NY and CT it might be okay. Still I only like the North side though.

22 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

If you could move further from NY and CT it might be okay. Still I only like the North side though.

I totally agree. I should clarify, I'm watching them early season only. At that point crowds are fine and their terrain is as interesting (because of a run or two on the north side and a greater tolerance for open groomed blues early season) to me as anywhere else save Wildcat with Lynx.

I go elsewhere later in the season, but anytime before Christmas, assuming no natural, I think they're a relevant option for me coming from Boston.

27 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

They can't blow continuously top to bottom.

Wow I didn't know it was that restricted. Makes the aggressive early season stockpiling at the summit and upper Lynx seem a lot more practical if they want to get open in mid November.

31 minutes ago, MarzNC said:

Any idea when Killington might be able to cover the trail at the top enough to avoid walking down from the top of K1?

Snow report says they're looking to have that linked by the weekend.

I am guessing tomorrow or Friday it should be good to go.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 10:14 AM, WJenness said:

Snow report says they're looking to have that linked by the weekend.

I am guessing tomorrow or Friday it should be good to go.

Maybe tomorrow (Friday).  Looks good at the top by Gondi but below Cascade HW it is still a bit of a work in progress.  If they get enough production tonight, it may open tomorrow.  The snow had been cat spread out last night but only with plow and tracks, it was not tilled and smooth.  New snow going ontop of that, so I would say Saturday for sure, not certain tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Looks like Great Northern is open at Kton so no need to walk down to North Ridge.  But still need to walk up to download on the gondola.

Snow has started in VT.