Weatherman

Opening Day 2018

There is no skiing to the bottom this year. Below the mid station is sketchy and super thin. No way I’d try it today. Considering bringing hiking boots tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

8 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

There is no skiing to the bottom this year. Below the mid station is sketchy and super thin. No way I’d try it today. Considering bringing hiking boots tomorrow.

How rough was the download wait? Have limited time tomorrow, plan to be in line for first chair and ski with sneakers in backpack boot bag for walk down. They hassle anyone for walking down? 

You recommend rock skis for tomorrow? 

Edited by thebigo

1 hour ago, thebigo said:

How rough was the download wait? Have limited time tomorrow, plan to be in line for first chair and ski with sneakers in backpack boot bag for walk down. They hassle anyone for walking down? 

You recommend rock skis for tomorrow? 

Yes, bring rock skis. There are some unpleasant surprises underneath. Not unusual for fresh manmade snow when it's warm. Starts to bump up and hidden surprises come out.

Download wait today varied from over an hour to 20 minutes. Tomorrow being a weekend should be worse. They didn't hassle anyone for walking down. I think they understand it helps them by taking load off the chair. I am thinking about bringing my bag up with shoes tomorrow too. If that line goes much over 40 minutes the walk down looks like a good idea.

I'll be at the River tomorrow, probably only an hour or two. Once the lift begins stopping every 10 chairs, it just ain't worth lapping. But you can usually get at least a solid hour in before people start queuing up to head back down. Nice to see they have Upper Punch open in addition to T2.

Edited by thesnowway

A Basin Opening Day for Day 2 yesterday. Conditions were pretty good with a good base depth with nothing poking through. Wait times about 15 minutes. 28 acres - one run and a small park. Wife and I are now A Basin Mug Club members but had to wait almost 3 hours in line for that.12604.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing.  Photos of Killington and A-Basin are both amazing.

I may get to ski A-Basin in Feb.  Curious about the new chair on the far side.

Edited by JimK

31 minutes ago, JimK said:

It's a bubble six pack which is replacing the Snowdon quad. 

Thanks for sharing.  Photos of Killington and A-Basin are both amazing.
You asking about Beavers? I am curious about that. Many locals are pissed about that lift. Steep Chutes is a walk back and no longer allowed to use the road.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

That is exciting. I have a party on Saturday in North Conway, so I'll probably still be skiing Sunday River. Unless Wildcat makes miracles happen.

Not sure where I'm going yet. if SR is open with Barker and Locke TTB I might still go there. Its 40 minutes further for me but I have friends that want to see me in Portland this weekend. Will go to Snow if friends bail or SR is not top to bottom.

19 hours ago, Weatherman said:

That is exciting. I have a party on Saturday in North Conway, so I'll probably still be skiing Sunday River. Unless Wildcat makes miracles happen.

Look at Wildcats Webcam !! Looking like a Miracle in the making ! They're reporting 9.5 at the base and more up top

Edited by ABV

11 minutes ago, ABV said:

Look at Wildcats Webcam !! Looking like a Miracle in the making ! They're reporting 9.5 at the base and more up top

Mount Washington is reporting 17.5 inches up top. Its 36 at the base, so this must be cement. Winter came in a hurry. It will be sad when this all inevitable m%$^&ts. 

4 minutes ago, Benski said:

Mount Washington is reporting 17.5 inches up top. Its 36 at the base, so this must be cement. Winter came in a hurry. It will be sad when this all inevitable m%$^&ts. 

true but it wont before the weekend ! they could pack it all down and it would make a killer base !

Miracle Achieved !! Wildcat is opening SATURDAY !!!

Best offering will be from Wildcat this weekend for sure. I’ll be there with bells on.

• Like 1