Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Weatherman said:


Best offering will be from Wildcat this weekend for sure. I’ll be there with bells on.


Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

Wildcat expected to be busy? I'm taking a nervous skier and was thinking SR due to the flatness of their trails but the snow at wildcat is tempting!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MimersG said:

Wildcat expected to be busy? I'm taking a nervous skier and was thinking SR due to the flatness of their trails but the snow at wildcat is tempting!

Wildcat is rarely busy, especially on opening day. With that said, Lynx early season is not the place for a nervous skier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Lynx early season is not the place for a nervous skier.

This. There won't be a line, but there will be skiers on the trail and Lynx is a narrow, often icy, reasonably difficult blue trail early season. It is also LONG.

If SR gets Ectasy and Sunday Punch open and groomed+top to bottom skiing, those will be wider much friendlier trails to ski.

Has anyone heard anything from Bretton Woods? Surprised they have not made a move yet, but I've seen zero signs of snowmaking on social media. BW is the place to take the nervous early season skier IMO.

Edited by Jully
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Wildcat is rarely busy, especially on opening day. With that said, Lynx early season is not the place for a nervous skier.

 

1 minute ago, Jully said:

This. There won't be a line, but there will be skiers on the trail and Lynx is a narrow, often icy, reasonably difficult blue trail early season. It is also LONG.

If SR gets Ectasy and Sunday Punch open and groomed+top to bottom skiing, those will be wider much friendlier trails to ski.

Has anyone heard anything from Bretton Woods? Surprised they have not made a move yet, but I've seen zero signs of snowmaking on social media. BW is the place to take the nervous early season skier IMO.

For reference this is a black diamond skier at Jay Peak, they are just a baby when it comes to early season until they feel they can do things again( they started at Stowe opening last year). It is highly likely they will only do one run regardless of where we go, so as long as Wildcat isn't grossly more expensive we will probably go there for the better conditions. I did Wildcat opening weekend last year and it was great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Jully said:

Has anyone heard anything from Bretton Woods? Surprised they have not made a move yet, but I've seen zero signs of snowmaking on social media. BW is the place to take the nervous early season skier IMO.

I was just on the BW snow report page.

They are reporting 3" of new snow today, and that they aren't flipping the switch on snowmaking until 11/1.

-w

Edited by WJenness
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, WJenness said:

I was just on the BW snow report page.

They are reporting 3" of new snow today, and that they aren't flipping the switch on snowmaking until 11/1.

-w

I have to imagine that this has to do with the gondola install project.  I haven't driven by in a while, but I have noticed that their web cam which should show the base has been offline for a long time.  They probably just don't have the whole base area ready to go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday River reporting over 10 inches at elevation today.  Friends hiked up Spruce, legit up on the hill.  Almost zero accumulation at base of Barker and none at our condo at Brookside.  If your skiing this weekend, get out first thing Saturday.  Winds will be picking up to nuts level during g the day and white going to wet Saturday night from the looks of things.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Machski said:

Sunday River reporting over 10 inches at elevation today.  Friends hiked up Spruce, legit up on the hill.  Almost zero accumulation at base of Barker and none at our condo at Brookside.  If your skiing this weekend, get out first thing Saturday.  Winds will be picking up to nuts level during g the day and white going to wet Saturday night from the looks of things.

That's awesome! Sucks about the wind for this weekend though. Is Sunday supposed to be any better?

Imagine people may be hiking to a lot of stuff at elevation at SR right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WJenness said:

I was just on the BW snow report page.

They are reporting 3" of new snow today, and that they aren't flipping the switch on snowmaking until 11/1.

-w

They are completely overwhelmed with the gondola install. We received word today that they aren't guaranteeing that they'll be able to run a race the first week of January because of the lift project.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

They are completely overwhelmed with the gondola install. We received word today that they aren't guaranteeing that they'll be able to run a race the first week of January because of the lift project.

That is not good at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jully said:

That's awesome! Sucks about the wind for this weekend though. Is Sunday supposed to be any better?

Imagine people may be hiking to a lot of stuff at elevation at SR right now.

Not sure about hiking for turns, heard it is very wet, heavy snow.  Great to pack into a base though.  SR is being very cautious in their responses to social media questions on TTB for the weekend, as in non committal on it.  Given the base didn't get much and they aren't restarting Snowmaking until tonight or tomorrow, might be tight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Machski said:

Not sure about hiking for turns, heard it is very wet, heavy snow.  Great to pack into a base though.  SR is being very cautious in their responses to social media questions on TTB for the weekend, as in non committal on it.  Given the base didn't get much and they aren't restarting Snowmaking until tonight or tomorrow, might be tight.

I saw that. Their snow report even explicitly said skiing on Upper Locke with no mention of the possibility.

They had a long way to go below the midstation last Friday and that was before the warmth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2018 at 7:23 PM, Machski said:

Not sure about hiking for turns, heard it is very wet, heavy snow.  Great to pack into a base though.  SR is being very cautious in their responses to social media questions on TTB for the weekend, as in non committal on it.  Given the base didn't get much and they aren't restarting Snowmaking until tonight or tomorrow, might be tight.

Locke is open TTB with some walking potentially required. Downloading/uploading from midstation will still be available. From the Mountain Report:

 

Quote

You can expect deep coverage and grooming on T2 and Upper Sunday Punch with mid-loading still available on the Locke Mountain Triple, but skiing back to the base open on Sunday Punch and Lower Punch. Temperatures will be rising today and remaining above freezing most of the weekend, so expect early season conditions from the mid-station down with the potential for a bit of walking required at the base as conditions get skied off. The mid-station will continue to off downloading, so if you don't want to ski back to the base we've got you covered. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Flying Yeti said:

All the Wildcat and Peaks Folks here and no one has pics or any reports from yesterday? Bunch of slackers. 

I'm still recovering. It was absolute insanity. Foliage and rain in the valley, nuking snow up top. I had visibility < 3 chairs for ~45 minutes in the afternoon.

Lynx was the usual icy undulating bumped early season situation (though Lower Lynx had some soft bumps that formed), but I only skied it 3 times as EVERYWHERE else was in play. Wildcat reported 16" total from this storm and the midweek dump and it was legit I thought. The snow was dense down low, but still felt like powder and formed a good base on the trails. I hit a few rocks, but no serious damage despite me sampling every trail from Stray cat to Upper Wildcat and Wildcat Pitch. 

 

1027181308_HDR~2.jpg

1027181136b_HDR~2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday River was top to bottom on Saturday, there were ~ 10 minute lift lines but the snow above midstation was perfect carving groomers. Below mid was a bit dicey but crowding wasn't really a problem due to the low uphill capacity and the lift wasn't downloading much so it didn't really stop. Overall it was a pretty good day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.