On 10/20/2018 at 3:12 PM, dblskifanatic said:

Never really did this before. Almost pulled the trigger at Cannon but never did. We waited what seems like forever to get a mug at A Basin which will provide discounts through the season.

Thoughts on Mug Clubs or do you belong to one?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I'm a member of both the Crotched and Wildcat mug clubs. Both are about $55ish? And both get you 18-20 oz of beer for the price of a pint.

Crotched is okay. You get a T-shirt from the brewery sponsor plus two free beers. Mugs are readily available so the cache is low. I debate whether to join every year.

Wildcat's Mug Club is a completely different league. I originally bought two mugs, but after the first year they made me put one in my wife's name. If I bring a friend they won't give him my wife's mug... unless I order sight unseen. But really then it's just not worth it because being seen is the whole reason for the mug.

If you're trying to justify it based on the value of the extra beer per pour, it's hard math to work out. At an extra two ounces, you get about $0.75 of free beer per pour. You'd have to drink 74 beers to break even at that rate. I'm sure I drink that much if not more in a season at Wildcat, but I'm an exception. But I don't come anywhere near justifying her cost.

In terms of discounts, they were really good about that the first year at Wildcat. Since then it has dwindled. They're still good about having one first tracks and one late closing each season for mug club members.

I could easily drop the Crotched mug. I will never let either of my Wildcat mugs lapse unless I move out of New England. Why? Because getting into the Wildcat mug club is damn near impossible. The first year it opened it went on sale to the first purchasers and sold out in minutes. Second year the doubled the mug club size and the same thing happened. Then last year due to demand they started a blind auction for the available mugs. Minimum accepted bid was $155, and there were several bids at $500. Now that everyone knows the minimum accepted bid from last year, you should expect even higher numbers this year.

45 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Minimum accepted bid was $155, and there were several bids at $500. Now that everyone knows the minimum accepted bid from last year, you should expect even higher numbers this year.

Awesome job on the mountains part to generate that amount of prestige. That amount of money is nontrivial for a place like wildcat I bet.

I believe the auction mugs revenue goes to support the ski team.

I definitely broke even the first two years I had a Cat mug, but not last year and won't again this year. But, I will again in the future, so I maintain a membership for the reasons Weatherman states.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

9 minutes ago, deadheadskier said:

I believe the auction mugs revenue goes to support the ski team.

I definitely broke even the first two years I had a Cat mug, but not last year and won't again this year. But, I will again in the future, so I maintain a membership for the reasons Weatherman states.

Revenues are split between the ski team and the adaptive program. I don't know what to make of it. They have found a way to get the Mug Club to pay their obligations under the ADA. If the mug club didn't fund the adaptive program, then they'd be obligated to do so under their lease with the Forest Service. Clever move.

Mug club at Wachusett is $30 with a season pass. Get's you 22oz of beer for the price of 16oz and usually a discount on an appetizer. 

Given the amount of night skiing I do there, I get it every year. It's admittedly a prestige thing, but also 22oz seems like the just right amount of beer after a night of skiing. After only a single pint, I might be tempted to get a 2nd beer. :)

2 hours ago, MassNerd said:

Mug club at Wachusett is $30 with a season pass. Get's you 22oz of beer for the price of 16oz and usually a discount on an appetizer. 

Given the amount of night skiing I do there, I get it every year. It's admittedly a prestige thing, but also 22oz seems like the just right amount of beer after a night of skiing. After only a single pint, I might be tempted to get a 2nd beer. :)

That actually seems like a really good deal, especially if you get a food discount too. 

I keep a mug at Wildcat that gets moderate use. Admittedly, not as much last year as I'd hoped since injuring myself in the month of February. This year though- I'm going to make an attempt at whittling down the cost. I'd give it up, but as mentioned above, once you do the game is over- you're never getting back in without a high buy-in.

In all, its a 'Wildcat loyal' social kinda thing. You look at others who have a mug and silently nod knowing you're badasses for sticking with them and making it your home hill. Even if you fill it with Bud Light like I do. 

I keep a mug at Wildcat that gets moderate use. Admittedly, not as much last year as I'd hoped since injuring myself in the month of February. This year though- I'm going to make an attempt at whittling down the cost. I'd give it up, but as mentioned above, once you do the game is over- you're never getting back in without a high buy-in.
In all, its a 'Wildcat loyal' social kinda thing. You look at others who have a mug and silently nod knowing you're badasses for sticking with them and making it your home hill. Even if you fill it with Bud Light like I do. 
Bud Light Ray, really? I'm sad now! Lol can't wait to help change your drinking tastes this year!

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Bud Light Ray, really? I'm sad now! Lol can't wait to help change your drinking tastes this year!

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I have decent taste in beer, but get kinda bored of the Wildcat tap list. I wish they'd replace the Tucks Pale Ale with something more exciting. 

Though, I'm happy to share some of the good stuff with you anytime!

• Like 1

I have decent taste in beer, but get kinda bored of the Wildcat tap list. I wish they'd replace the Tucks Pale Ale with something more exciting. 
Though, I'm happy to share some of the good stuff with you anytime!

You must have Tucks on tap in the MWV. Must.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

You must have Tucks on tap in the MWV. Must.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports
Disagree

You Must if Tuckerman Brewery starts producing better beer.

I'm all for the local business, but if the local business sucks, I don't frequently support it.

Tucks needs to up their game. Long Trail has no place on the beer list either. Switchback is a maybe.

Overall the Cat beer list sucks. Yet, I'm a loyal mug club member. Lol

• Like 1