Sign in to follow this  
Flying Yeti

If I was a K passholder I'd be pissed....

Definitely considering the $349 pass next year (early and late K and Pico in the middle). But if I was paying full price I'd be pissed. SS is definitely looking skiable t2b but only skiing 600' and still having to walk those stairs to download must suck. Wildcat wins again.

Edited by Flying Yeti

34 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

Definitely considering the $349 pass next year (early and late K and Pico in the middle). But if I was paying full price I'd be pissed. SS is definitely looking skiable t2b but only skiing 600' and still having to walk those stairs to download must suck. Wildcat wins again.

I think they make super icy snow on there for the world cup. Supposedly the World Cup snow is not skiable to the general public and has to be covered in another layer before opening to the general public. They have done this each year they have hosted the World Cup. 

34 minutes ago, Benski said:

I think they make super icy snow on there for the world cup. Supposedly the World Cup snow is not skiable to the general public and has to be covered in another layer before opening to the general public. They have done this each year they have hosted the World Cup. 

Absolutely, but they could still allocate that firepower. By mid-November of 2013 and 2014 they had SS headwall, Skyehawk, all of Skyelark, and Bittersweet open as well as t2b on Snowdon. Last year (maybe even 2016) they were beat t2b in the fall by Sunday River, Wildcat, Mount Snow and even Okemo, Bretton Woods, and Stratton. 

Edit: Jiminy Peak as well and I believe Loon one or both years.

Edited by Flying Yeti

Yeah, well the weather over the next two weeks may just well level the playing field and take everyone back up to high elevation only, if any terrain open at all.

49 minutes ago, Skiur said:

What other resorts were open in the east today?

So you're in the crowd of taking the stairs, skiing 600', and walking back up as long as you have it Mon-Sunday over full chair access to 1500-2000' of vert Friday - Sunday?

Just now, Skiur said:

What other resorts were open in the east today?

K opening daily versus its offering walk from terrain on a slow triple are different issues entirely. They've always operated daily from the get go because the demand is there.

What Yeti and others are saying is that in previous years they were not this slow to expand. What might annoy passholders is this change from the normal MO.

I'm not so certain that they would be expanding beyond the ridge right now anyway given the long range forecast, but it doesn't look good to be so far from ttb when 3 other resorts already are, including one with lower altitude and latitude. 

12 hours ago, Flying Yeti said:

So you're in the crowd of taking the stairs, skiing 600', and walking back up as long as you have it Mon-Sunday over full chair access to 1500-2000' of vert Friday - Sunday?

Yeah, hate crowds, never ski weekends.

...and it's only walk back up now, not down.

Edited by MEtoVTskier

Just saying, you can't ski anywhere else in the east right now and who knows if anybody besides K will be open this weekend. (Maybe SR but they won't be ttb) it's still October people, even without the world cup K would not be ttb yet.  Would have been foolish to be ttb right now as all that money would be melting away on Thursday n Friday.  Makes much more sense to pound the glades so that they will still be open this weekend.  Anybody seen the forecast? It won't be cold again for 2 weeks.

From 2010-11 season to last season

Average opening date: October 26th
Median opening date: October 25th
Earliest opening date: October 13th (2012-2013)
Latest opening date: November 8th (2017-2018)

Average top to bottom: November 17th
Median top to bottom: November 17th
Earliest top to bottom: November 9th (2013-2014)
Latest top to bottom: November 25th (2015-2016)

On 10/29/2018 at 9:59 AM, Flying Yeti said:

Absolutely, but they could still allocate that firepower. By mid-November of 2013 and 2014 they had SS headwall, Skyehawk, all of Skyelark, and Bittersweet open as well as t2b on Snowdon. Last year (maybe even 2016) they were beat t2b in the fall by Sunday River, Wildcat, Mount Snow and even Okemo, Bretton Woods, and Stratton. 

Edit: Jiminy Peak as well and I believe Loon one or both years.

You quote one year and IIRC we had big early snows that season, adding to the rapid expansion.  Killington has not pushed to go TTB since the stairs were put in.  To go TTB, they have a much longer length path to get snow down on and it switches exposure with relation to the sun quite a bit.  They normally have not gone for TTB on Skye first, traditionally its from K peak down Snowdon first.

The SS/Skyelark build right now is for WC.  Part of why they don't let you ski it is due to the heavier, wetter snow to make a World Cup surface.  The other reason is that putting skiers on it can wear down the snowpack if the temps warm as they are forecast to do.  K must pass snow control 7-10 days AHEAD of the race to hold it.  They can't risk any extra beatdown/loss of snow at this time of year.

No, after WC leaves (assuming it does, next year is the last on the current contract I believe), will they change things around in terms of expansion?  Maybe, but do remember, they bring in a hell of a lot of extra air capacity for WC that they will not without the FIS/USSSA $$ coming in for the race.  So most of the firepower you see on SS right now are K3000 guns firing using a ton of air to make the most in marginal temps.  That type of production will not be there without WC in the margial weather because they won't bring in or spend for that amount of air use on SS.  Bottom line is Killington has a reliable, known early season product that they can roll out and control each year, year after year fairly easily and repeatably.  Everyone else, especially the TTB crowd?  It's a crap shoot.  Lets be honest, the Cat only opened because of the copious natural they received this year.  Without that earl snow, no way they opened this past weekend.  Doubt they open this coming weekend (Mount Snow as well) and SR should be able to open again, but it will be downloading for sure.

Edited by Machski
Editing

I don’t know if the World Cup is leaving. Haven’t they had great turnout for the events at Killington. I don’t know much about World Cup racing but the killington event sounds like a success.

11 minutes ago, Benski said:

I don’t know if the World Cup is leaving. Haven’t they had great turnout for the events at Killington. I don’t know much about World Cup racing but the killington event sounds like a success.

Last two years they sold out tickets the same day they went up, this year the only thing that sold out were the k1 parking passes, you can still get any type of tickets you want.  I dont know if that means there are alot of tickets still available, but it doesnt seem to have the buzz like it did the last two years.  We will find out in a few weeks.  Me personally, I wont be anywhere near K during the world cup.

8 hours ago, Machski said:

You quote one year and IIRC we had big early snows that season, adding to the rapid expansion.  Killington has not pushed to go TTB since the stairs were put in.  To go TTB, they have a much longer length path to get snow down on and it switches exposure with relation to the sun quite a bit.  They normally have not gone for TTB on Skye first, traditionally its from K peak down Snowdon first.

The big early storms were 2016 (October 22nd = 5", October 26th = 10", week before Thanksgiving 10") and they did not open additional terrain even though everything in the Canyon and Snowdon was skiable (with the exception of Lower Conclusion). They actually had 2-3 ambassadors at every rope for the November storm to try to keep people on the Ridge.  In 2015 their big storm didn't come until the week before Christmas and got them almost 100% open.

2012-2013 and 2013-2014 K truly was the Beast early season. Since then its been anything but. 

Edited by Flying Yeti

It’s great that Killington makes the effort to open as early as humanly possible, but after that their early season game seems to fizzle quite a bit.  I’d love to see them push to open either Cascade or Downdraft much earlier (and spin the canyon quad along with it).   The t2b route through Snowdon just doesn’t make for a great “run”...  (and, yes, I will acknowledge that the route through Snowdon is accessible to a broader range of skier/rider skill levels).

That said, I certainly appreciate that Killington puts a product out there for us to utilize, but I’m probably more inclined to wait a bit for a better offering from another of the early season players.  

(As a new epic pass holder, I’m looking forward to early season at Okemo)

12 hours ago, Flying Yeti said:

The big early storms were 2016 (October 22nd = 5", October 26th = 10", week before Thanksgiving 10") and they did not open additional terrain even though everything in the Canyon and Snowdon was skiable (with the exception of Lower Conclusion). They actually had 2-3 ambassadors at every rope for the November storm to try to keep people on the Ridge.  In 2015 their big storm didn't come until the week before Christmas and got them almost 100% open.

2012-2013 and 2013-2014 K truly was the Beast early season. Since then its been anything but. 

In 2012-2013 they opened on 10/13 and went ttb on 11/10, and for 2013-2014 they opened 10/24 and went ttb on 11/09.  Doesn't seem very different from whats going on now.