Sign in to follow this  
MassNerd

December ski trip decisions

Looking to do 3 or 4 nights after Christmas with the family.

Top of my list is to check out Burke, but I'm concerned about the early season conditions there. Lodging is affordable and lift tickets are only $45 with our Wachusett passes.  Is the skiing good in late December?

North Conway is also in our price range for and obviously there's lots of options for skiing there.

What advice have you for semi-early skiing conditions (and crowds)?  Burke, Wildcat, Attitash, Cranmore? Any others I should be considering? 

I have looked at others but lodging is already in short supply for that popular week.

Late December is a crap shoot when it comes to conditions any place in the northeast. Also if not much terrain is open it tends to be crowded. Burke would be the least crowded but could have the least open as well...

• Like 1

Burke is gamble. With all the changes and the whole receivership thing it's not easy to look back and use the past as any indication of this coming season. Who knows what they will do in terms of snowmaking and trail openings.  If the conditions are poor there isn't much else in the area to keep the family occupied with.  You'll end up driving an hour North or South to find other choices.   As you mentioned, there are a lot more options in North Conway (both skiing and non-skiing). 

• Like 1

Sunday River is not horribly far from North Conway and except for Black and Wildcat (which rely a lot more on natural for stuff to be open) has the best crowd mitigation on mountain (base area will suck). SR will have more open than anyone else in the area by a lot too. Not your first choice if you're staying in Conway, but a good emergency/backup option to have.

4 minutes ago, Jully said:

Sunday River is not horribly far from North Conway and except for Black and Wildcat (which rely a lot more on natural for stuff to be open) has the best crowd mitigation on mountain (base area will suck). SR will have more open than anyone else in the area by a lot too. Not your first choice if you're staying in Conway, but a good emergency/backup option to have.

Yeah, Sunday River was on my short list, but lodging was limited or expensive for Christmas week.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

On 11/2/2018 at 9:09 PM, Catherine said:

The Bethel Inn has specials if you go to their 90 minute timeshare presentation.  Might be some special over the holidays.  http://bethelinn.com/site/

Oh that is cruel. Subjecting him to the pitch? I've heard good things about deals through the Town and Country in Gorham.

3 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Oh that is cruel. Subjecting him to the pitch? I've heard good things about deals through the Town and Country in Gorham.

Always meant to look there occasionally but never have. I suspect you can save a good bit of money staying in Gorham versus Conway or Bethel.

• Like 1

Cranmore, while small, may have the best conditions out of the group you listed.  Attitash can be OK too, though it seems like Peaks has not pushed that hard there the last several seasons.  Bretton Woods might be a good option to check out.  They tend to push snowmaking pretty good and have lots of high speed lifts to keep the crowds down.  May want to keep an eye on their Gondola install though.  If that falls behind, could cause issues with terrain push.

23 hours ago, Weatherman said:

90 minutes isn’t too much when you consider the rewards.  I have a co worker that went on a golfing weekend for $99 for two.  I have stayed at the Bethel Inn and really enjoyed it.  They have a nice pub, outdoor pool and a shuttle to SR.   Not trying to sell anything just putting it out there.