Sign in to follow this  
2manyhobbies

Light recommendations

Now that we've lost an hour of light, I'm starting to look at getting a lighting set up for winter riding. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm definitely going with helmet and handlebar lights. I'm thinking I want to stick with wireless, but wired seems to offer a lot more lumens.

Handlebar + helmet is a nice combo. I'd take that over a single more powerful light.

Unless you are doing gravel riding at higher speeds, you don't need more than 350-500 lumens, in my opinion. For the twisty New England singletrack most common around here, I find that to be plenty.

I use NiteRider Lumina Micro lights. They're light weight, self contained and well built. I use them on the medium setting and they last ~3 hours. The only complaint you read about them on the interwebs is that they may dim more than some other brands as the battery gets low. But that testing was done in the high setting. I haven't noticed it being a problem.

A 750 lumen for the helmet and a 650 for the handlebars + a helmet mount strap will cost you $120.

There are other good options out there as well. My main point is, don't think you need 2000 lumens to make it down the trail.

• Like 1

I have 1200 Lumen CREE XM-L2 LED on the bars, and CREE 1800lm- Xm-l T6 LED on the helmet.   ~$80 total for everything with all straps, handlebar mounts, batteries, chargers, etc.   My typical night rides are under an hour so batteries last full ride no problem at high setting.   

The wired helmet light is a little awkward. With the battery pack mounted on the helmet it's a little bit uncomfortably heavy.  With the battery in my backpack the wire can be be annoying, especially when taking on/off helmet or backpack.  Wired on the bars is no issue at all.  So you could put a little extra $$ towards wireless helmet, and save some $$ with wired bars.

Edited by Cannonballer

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

I have 1200 Lumen CREE XM-L2 LED on the bars, and CREE 1800lm- Xm-l T6 LED on the helmet.   ~$80 total for everything with all straps, handlebar mounts, batteries, chargers, etc.   My typical night rides are under an hour so batteries last full ride no problem at high setting.   

The wired helmet light is a little awkward. With the battery pack mounted on the helmet it's a little bit uncomfortably heavy.  With the battery in my backpack the wire can be be annoying, especially when taking on/off helmet or backpack.  Wired on the bars is no issue at all.  So you could put a little extra $$ towards wireless helmet, and save some $$ with wired bars.

I  have the 1800 on my helmet with the battery.  I think my handlebar light is 2500.  I carry an extra battery on the bike.  I spent $20 on the 1800 and $25 on the other.  Both were from Amazon.  I do get beamed if on the road from cars.

Edited by Puck it