Jump to content

Recommended Posts

It looks like things will be cooling down for a while starting this weekend.  Finger crossed that means a lot of mountains will firing up the snow guns!

We will be out of town for next few weekends, but we're hoping to get on the slopes on the 19th when the kids have the day off from school.  I'm expecting (hoping) BW to be open by then, but with the gondola delays who knows how much terrain they will be opening early.  We're just excited to get the season going! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SkiMom said:

It looks like things will be cooling down for a while starting this weekend.  Finger crossed that means a lot of mountains will firing up the snow guns!

We will be out of town for next few weekends, but we're hoping to get on the slopes on the 19th when the kids have the day off from school.  I'm expecting (hoping) BW to be open by then, but with the gondola delays who knows how much terrain they will be opening early.  We're just excited to get the season going! 

Yes, starting Friday there is a solid stretch of snowmaking weather coming.

I am back and forth on what to expect at Wildcat on Friday night. Thermal profile is borderline at the base. Could go either way... but I'm guessing a paste bomb. Loads of moisture. Probably accumulations on already snowy surfaces 3-8". The upper range only happens if things trend cool. Otherwise a sloppy 4" that covers everything and freezes in place.

Sunday... wind could be an issue, but should be okay. Will look more closely later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contemplating going to Wildcat Saturday. Killington is showing less favorable conditions but both could be in question if the freeze line changes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SkiingInABlueDream said:

Paste bomb and 4 inches of sloppy sound like a good November day if it's landing on any surface that's at least marginally skiable.

Yeah, I was already spoiled this season by the off-piste in October.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, xwhaler said:

Sounds like a decent contingent at Wildcat this wknd. Got my online ticket this AM for $31.99. See you guys Saturday

Sent from my moto g(6) using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app
 

Same here. actually had a $15 off at liftopia so got it for 16.99 and my 2 teens were 21.99 each so just 61 for the 3 of us. They are now 32.99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking the man made snowmaking window won't be til post storm, too borderline temps prior to and with the moisture, wet bulb will be crap.  Today at Killington theey were pushiing but only above abouut 3600' as a reference.  They better get the real cold, they have a ton of work to go on lower SS and snow control must be later next week for WC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stratton is HAMMERING right now.

5 degrees at the summit, I be they're pushing every ounce of water they can right now.

Check out the live feed from the mid-mountain lodge:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2018 at 6:04 PM, Machski said:

I'm thinking the man made snowmaking window won't be til post storm, too borderline temps prior to and with the moisture, wet bulb will be crap.  Today at Killington theey were pushiing but only above abouut 3600' as a reference.  They better get the real cold, they have a ton of work to go on lower SS and snow control must be later next week for WC.

Low of 6 degrees tonight at Killington base cold enough for you? Temps remain cold enough for snow making all day Thursday.  I think SS will be in good shape. Certainly they've had more challenging weather years than this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, WJenness said:

Stratton is HAMMERING right now.

5 degrees at the summit, I be they're pushing every ounce of water they can right now.

Check out the live feed from the mid-mountain lodge:

 

That is a really impressive amount of firepower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MassNerd said:

Low of 6 degrees tonight at Killington base cold enough for you? Temps remain cold enough for snow making all day Thursday.  I think SS will be in good shape. Certainly they've had more challenging weather years than this.

Yup, the deep cold did in fact arrive.  But considering the race is NEXT weekend and snow control is likely tomorrow or friday, this was a bit closer than even the past couple of years to it.  I have skied early all three years and with how bad lower SS looked last Thursday, they were looked to be as tight to the wire as they have been in any of the three years.  Irrelevant now that the temp drop panned out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Machski said:

Yup, the deep cold did in fact arrive.  But considering the race is NEXT weekend and snow control is likely tomorrow or friday, this was a bit closer than even the past couple of years to it.  I have skied early all three years and with how bad lower SS looked last Thursday, they were looked to be as tight to the wire as they have been in any of the three years.  Irrelevant now that the temp drop panned out.

Earliest possible Thanksgiving this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, thebigo said:

Crotched got started today. They are blowing under the lights tonight for some reason? 

Screenshot_20181114-181333_Samsung Internet.jpg

They always blow under the lights. Same thing at Cranmore and Wachusett. Any maybe any other mountain with lights? Basic idea is why have your staff work in the dark if you have lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Mobile Apps available!

Please try our mobile apps for iOS and Android

×