adventurema

Kids Ski Jackets- LL Bean vs. Spyder?

I'm curious to know what the advantages are for a Spyder ski jacket vs a warm winter jacket from LL Bean?  I've steered away from the more expensive Spyder/Kombi, etc brands.  I've been using LL Bean/Lands End jackets for my kids.  Most important feature for me is warmth.  Am I missing out on Spyders or ski specific jackets?  Thanks.

Edited by adventurema

32 minutes ago, adventurema said:

I'm curious to know what the advantages are for a Spyder ski jacket vs a warm winter jacket from LL Bean?  I've steered away from the more expensive Spyder/Kombi, etc brands.  I've been using LL Bean/Lands End jackets for my kids.  Most important feature for me is warmth.  Am I missing out on Spyders or ski specific jackets?  Thanks.

The biggest differencing is waterproofing. Take the jacket out on a snow day or under the guns and you'll immediately see the difference. Likewise seam taping under the stitching helps with wind resistance. And let's not forget the all-important snow skirt. That keeps snow from going up under the jacket when you fall.

Good points, thanks.  Can I expect similar/better/worse warmth in the ski jackets vs LL Bean?  Wasn't able to go to the Wachusett ski swap, so missed out on used jackets.  Will have to buy them retail.

Try to find a quality kids jacket that has extendable sleeves. Usually some stitching you cut and remove from the inner sleeves to extends them once your child grows.  This way you can justify the cost of a more expensive jacket because it will probably last 3 years versus buying 2 or 3 cheaper coats.

Just now, MassNerd said:

Try to find a quality kids jacket that has extendable sleeves. Usually some stitching you cut and remove from the inner sleeves to extends them once your child grows.  This way you can justify the cost of a more expensive jacket because it will probably last 3 years versus buying 2 or 3 cheaper coats.

Obermeyer has this feature (at least for sizes 4-7).  I have 3 kids so hand down a lot, and buying quality brands has made it worth it!  I've gotten 5 seasons out of boots (Baffin), and Obermeyer and Spyder jackets and pants.  Cold, wet kids = miserable parents and less skiing, so we don't skimp there!

Absolutely taped seams and waterproofing! For the kids we have no Brand loyalty. We buy the most expensive well made stuff we can find on the clearance rack.

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Absolutely taped seams and waterproofing! For the kids we have no Brand loyalty. We buy the most expensive well made stuff we can find on the clearance rack.

This is solid advice. I haven’t checked the prices at Sierra Trading Post since they went brick and mortar. But they used to be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

This is solid advice. I haven’t checked the prices at Sierra Trading Post since they went brick and mortar. But they used to be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports
I buy 95% of my families ski gear through STP and am always extremely satisfied. The one drawback is to get the free shipping it takes about 2 weeks to arrive typically so plan accordingly

Sent from my moto g(6) using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I buy 95% of my families ski gear through STP and am always extremely satisfied. The one drawback is to get the free shipping it takes about 2 weeks to arrive typically so plan accordingly

Do you get the emails with the %s off? If not let me know and I'll DM you one

Thanks for the hot tip on STP!  There's a store in Framingham not far from me, so should make returns easy too.  Infinite Dreams, would appreciate if you DM a coupon.  Thanks!

You know they have a physical store in Nashua now?

Didn't know that but the thought of going to South Nashua to shop in a physical retail store and battle that traffic gives me nightmares....

Plus it's 45 mins each way and I never find myself in Nashua area anymore

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

You know they have a physical store in Nashua now?

I did not know this ! Its on my way home ! easy to hit it during the week but no way on the weekends !!  

Jacket has been ordered on STP.  I didn't see any ski gloves on their website.  Do they pop up seasonally, or do I need to source them from elsewhere?

I'm assuming there are similar benefits for ski specific gloves too.  I've been buying general winter gloves from REI/LL Bean/Lands End, but will consider ski specific gloves now.  My son is signed up for the Wachusett Dev Team, so he'll be skiing every weekend.

Opinions on good ski gloves?  I know mittens are warmer, but don't think my son will like them.  Looking at Hestra and Swany, but it's $$$!  Is there a Free The Powder equivalent for kids?

Edited by adventurema

Jacket has been ordered on STP.  I didn't see any ski gloves on their website.  Do they pop up seasonally, or do I need to source them from elsewhere?
I'm assuming there are similar benefits for ski specific gloves too.  I've been buying general winter gloves from REI/LL Bean/Lands End, but will consider ski specific gloves now.  My son is signed up for the Wachusett Dev Team, so he'll be skiing every weekend.
Opinions on good ski gloves?  I know mittens are warmer, but don't think my son will like them.  Looking at Hestra and Swany, but it's $$$!  Is there a Free The Powder equivalent for kids?
We have Swany and love them.

4 hours ago, adventurema said:

I didn't see any ski gloves on their website.

As long as you are close to the store, it is worth going in for a look.  I find that they have slightly different things in store than online (perhaps the items that they have less of?).  Just got some Burton mitts in the Newton store that aren't online. They had a good sized stock of both goggles and helmets there too this week.   It's good to look online first if you have a coupon code, but just because you don't see stuff online doesn't mean they don't have some in store.

It's little funny that LL Bean is the "bad" choice in this conversation ?.   I'd put Bean above Spyder for quality everytime.  In fact my only Spyder jacket was a cheaper, lower-end alternative to anything I could find at Bean. 

But the above is just a funny  aside..... All the advice given in this thread is good.  As Weatherman says, waterproofing (and breathability) is where its at.  There are good standards for both of those that are non brand-specific so that you can judge a garment objectively regardless of price or brand.   EVO has a nice chart for it wihout pitching any particular items.  https://www.evo.com/guides/outerwear-waterproof-ratings-and-breathability

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Alec I I think for sure LL Bean has Superior gear and very high-quality it's just when you're purchasing for young kids that outgrow every year it's not worth it. I personally have LL Bean ski pants and a jacket and love it

100% agree and understand!  That's why I thought  it was funny that the original question was "is LL Bean Good enough"! ?    Having put 3 fast-growing boys through the past 15 years of skiing/riding  I'd say that hand-me-downs and Marshalls are more than good enough!  LL Bean is over the top for growing kids!  The harder part is getting them to remember not to leave their wet gloves in the car overnight!  Gore-tex does nothing for that. 

Edited by Cannonballer

Note....there is a big exception to this. Once the kids start to overtake you in size, then really nothing is "too good".  ?   This season I'm looking forward to wearing some quality hand-me-downs that I bought the boys over the past few seasons but they've outgrown!