MarzNC

Open on Mon-Wed, Nov. 19-21? Killington, BW, and?

I'm driving north this weekend.  My daughter starts Thanksgiving vacation on Tuesday afternoon.  What's likely to be open Mon, Tue, and/or Wed?

Last year I did a day trip to Killington from Waltham the Monday of Thanksgiving week.  Given the way the weather's been in the past week, doing a day trip on Wed is a possibility.  At least I'm bringing my ski gear and my daughter's.  Might ski somewhere on the way to Boston.  I have Ikon but driving up to Killington is a bit of a detour.

I just looked at Sugarbush which is only just opening up, and already has 9 trails with Just the Valley house. Most are NATURAL. I expect most of all of Heaven's Gate to open tomorrow and probably some trials under Super Bravo. 

• Like 1

I just checked alpine zone,  Win said only Upper Jester and Downspout need snow, due to water-bars, the rest of the upper mountain trails are ready to go. 

1 hour ago, Benski said:

I just looked at Sugarbush which is only just opening up, and already has 9 trails with Just the Valley house. Most are NATURAL. I expect most of all of Heaven's Gate to open tomorrow and probably some trials under Super Bravo. 

Hmm, if I can get far enough on Sunday, it's not that much longer to Sugarbush instead of Killington.  Had a great day at Sugarbush a few years ago.  It was a midweek powder day because a storm had dropped 8+ inches on a Monday, then it stayed cold, and I was there Thursday.  Mad River Valley is more appealing than Rutland.  Pretty good deals at Sugarbush lodging for Monday night.

A multi-resort pass definitely impacts travel planning. 😉

Sugarbush really shines when the natural snow trails are just getting skiable because they quickly open them up, mostly due to low standards. Stiens is open which usually comes late in the rotation, often after Castlerock. They did not make snow on Stiens. 

22 minutes ago, Benski said:

Sugarbush really shines when the natural snow trails are just getting skiable because they quickly open them up, mostly due to low standards. Stiens is open which usually comes late in the rotation, often after Castlerock. They did not make snow on Stiens. 

Are rock skis recommended?  Still have my 2011 Black Pearls.

Definitely. I don't know the conditions but that's a really good guess. Rock skies necessary is no reason to close a trail at Sugarbush and some trails like Paradice, and lower Birdland usually has a few exposed rocks. I think Steins is really rocky but has snowmaking so usually does not matter. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Loon claims they will be open full time as of now. It was pretty great today.

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

If I were starting from Boston, Loon or SR or Sugarloaf would make sense.  But I'll be driving more or less via Albany and getting to Loon adds another hour compared to Sugarbush or Killington.

I'd consider Gore but not really expecting it to be open after the weekend.  Easier to reach since getting across VT from NY involves so much 2-lane highway.

Edited by MarzNC

1 hour ago, MarzNC said:

If I were starting from Boston, Loon or SR or Sugarloaf would make sense.  But I'll be driving more or less via Albany and getting to Loon adds another hour compared to Sugarbush or Killington.

I'd consider Gore but not really expecting it to be open after the weekend.  Easier to reach since getting across VT from NY involves so much 2-lane highway.

Agreed from Binghamton, you have to drive by Magic when your 2 hours from Loon on the shortest route. The alternative is Via Killington. I am never going to pass up Killington for 2 extra hours of driving to NH and midseason,  Why drive east past Magic. 

6 hours ago, Benski said:

Agreed from Binghamton, you have to drive by Magic when your 2 hours from Loon on the shortest route. The alternative is Via Killington. I am never going to pass up Killington for 2 extra hours of driving to NH and midseason,  Why drive east past Magic. 

Unfortunately, Magic isn't opening until 12/1.  So have to be another time.

I stopped by to take a look at the base of Magic in the fall after meeting up with a friend for lunch in Woodstock.  Had a good time chatting with Geoff at the Boston Ski Expo.  He was very happy with the SKI Magazine article that was was the Resorts Survey results in October.

Makes sense, it's just that your thread title specifically included BW so I assumed you were looking in that neighborhood.

47 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Makes sense, it's just that your thread title specifically included BW so I assumed you were looking in that neighborhood.

No problem.  I tend to consider a wide variety of options when traveling.  While I do intend to ski somewhere on Monday, I was also generally curious what would be open midweek before Thanksgiving day.  Will be in Waltham with my daughter by Tue night.  Bringing her tele skis and boots too.  Driving north to North Conway is unlikely but not out of the question.  Hoping Wawa is open since she hasn't been there yet.  We went to Sunday River on Thanksgiving weekend a couple times, but wasn't really worth the drive for assorted reasons.

Got an early start and had an easy drive.  Staying in Lake George.  Going to Killington since I haven't been on Snowdon before and it's supposed to be open.  The extra driving for the terrain that Sugarbush has open doesn't seem worth it.

2 hours ago, xwhaler said:

Stratton also is opening for the season tomorrow Wednesday 11/21

they should have a decent amt of terrain open

And 6"+ of fresh unless they go full Stratton and groom it to create knee destroying snowballs.

Edited by Flying Yeti

Looks like Mount Snow is opening on Wed too.  Expecting 165 acres.

Wachusett is expecting 4 inches today.  Since I got to Waltham yesterday evening, that's the most likely place to go with my daughter tomorrow.

Had a good time at Kton yesterday.  Certainly more fun than a year ago when there were just a few groomers open off K1 and North Ridge.  Opted to stay indoors today and stay away from the highways.