2 hours ago, Smellytele said:

Tenney

https://www.skitenney.com/
While I agree that the size of the mountain does go with the prices. The Mtn has to gain some customers back. Those prices won't get me there as their repetition has to be re-established.

$75 window rate is a lot higher than I would have expected.

$75 is just silly. What are they thinking?? By comparison, Black is only $59, plus they’re on the Freedom Pass. And discounted tickets are available for Black on Liftopia. I had assumed we’d check out Tenney this season - but NO WAY at those rates, which are borderline offensive. 

Edited by Los

The whole thing has been crazy from the get go. A lot of locals love that Tenney is back. Tenney's best business move has been getting locals interested and supporting the effort. They seem to have done a good job with the bar and having music on the weekends. But from a ski business perspective, they've yet to make a solid business decision. But goodness knows the Tenney ownership isn't really interested in running a ski area. They are interested in developing the land around the area. 

Earlier this month, when asked by someone on Facebook about when they would open, Tenney replied "still late November / early December like every year..." 

Like every year? Since when, 2003? They are all talk and no walk. What happened last season was very telling. Another half a foot plus on the way this week and they have yet to post a snow making pic to their FB let alone update their projected opening. This November was a huge gift to an area trying to get open again like Tenney. Hopefully they don't blow it.

• Like 1

Yea I cannot figure that place and their whole FB game out. Given the comments on FB people definitely seem to be getting more frustrated.  Sometimes I wonder if it is a money laundering operation. 

Edited by Flying Yeti

1 hour ago, thesnowway said:

But goodness knows the Tenney ownership isn't really interested in running a ski area. They are interested in developing the land around the area. 

I have been told that their biggest interest is the water rights. They have some sort of contract with the government (home land security?) that mentions something about if there was a disaster of any sort along the east coast they have the rights to the water.

17 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

I've been really interested in getting over to Tenney even just for the novelty of it.  But $75 is not in my 'novelty' wheelhouse. 

Shows $65 weekdays, but that still isn't down to a great deal to get the business going. Heck look at the turnout clear across the Northeast so far this year. Everyone is doing good. Lots of choices for everyone.

They should put some deals out there like others have with a 2fer day or get onto liftopia, even though hard to buy in advance when you have no idea about conditions.

Never skied it but looks like decently steep and rugged terrain. Might have Magic-esque potential but to see that take fruition is another thing. Don't plan on paying $75 to ski anywhere so if they want to attract new customers they may want to start offering some values for ski club and card users.

Their FB page was interesting this AM

1) Someone asked on FB this AM about deals or Liftopia tix...they said coming soon.
2) They claim to have gotten 18" from last night/today;s storm
3) Someone asked about opening day and they said hasnt been cold enough and will keep with standard/normal openings    "mid dec/jan"           

Not cold enough for snowmaking maybe consistently but they have all that snow and now hinting at not opening until January?   All the while telling ppl the bar is open for business

On 11/26/2018 at 2:11 PM, Los said:

$75 is just silly. What are they thinking?? By comparison, Black is only $59, plus they’re on the Freedom Pass. And discounted tickets are available for Black on Liftopia. I had assumed we’d check out Tenney this season - but NO WAY at those rates, which are borderline offensive. 

Heck, even Burke is only $73 for a full price window ticket.

3 hours ago, xwhaler said:

2) They claim to have gotten 18" from last night/today;s stor

Maybe it was 15" where you post the stake.

Probably another few inches to fall before it's over.

Tenney is in the zone for maximum snowfall out of this recent storm. You can debate over inches but it's reasonable to assume they got a nice hit, considering what we've seen out accumulate in SoVT and the VT Spine.

Agree the prices are steep and probably pricing themselves out of the market. I would like to learn more about their terrain before I make a final judgement.

Edited by treeskier82

2 hours ago, MEtoVTskier said:

Turning into a private country club for the condos there.

The season pass is pretty reasonable for locals.  Early season price was under $300.  $389 now.

My home mountain is a timeshare resort in northern VA.  Weekend rate for adults is $77.  Total acreage is 70 acres.  The black runs take 2-3 min to finish even with lots of turns.  The slopes are certainly an amenity for those staying on resort.  But locals can get a pass good Sun-Fri for $235.  They don't cater to groups like Boy Scouts who need cheap lodging.  The slopes only get crowded on weekends from noon to 2:30 and are open under the lights until 10pm on weekends.  Supply and demand pricing has worked out in the long run.

Not every ski hill is looking to maximize the number of people showing up.  Powder Mountain limits the number of season passes and the number of day tickets.

If you don't want to ski Tenney, fine.  But I don't understand the sense of outrage because the day ticket prices are "too high."  I had a very good time at Tenney last March and am hoping to get back there this season.  Tenney is not trying to be like other ski areas in NH.  The current owners have long term plans.  Luckily, they decided that bringing the lifts and slopes back to life was worth the effort.

I would not compare a North Virginia Ski area to an NH ski area. it's Apples to Oranges, NH ski areas have bigger competition from more ski areas, are more reliant on free natural snow, vs expensive man-made, and have much bigger competitors. NH ski areas have to live up to higher standards. 

1 minute ago, Benski said:

I would not compare a North Virginia Ski area to an NH ski area. it's Apples to Oranges, NH ski areas have bigger competition from more ski areas, are more reliant on free natural snow, vs expensive man-made, and have much bigger competitors. NH ski areas have to live up to higher standards. 

I was not comparing Massanutten to Tenney.  My point is that Massanutten caters to a different market than the other ski areas in the mid-Atlantic.  The lift ticket prices are higher.  But that means the slopes are not as crowded as they would be if prices were lower or they actively went after large groups that want discounted rates.  Supply and demand.  In the case of Massanutten, the goal is the best possible experience on weekends for an important subset of their market, which are the people staying on resort as timeshare owners.  Lowering day ticket rates would only make the slopes more crowded and that has more negative impact than positive in the long run.  Locals get an affordable season pass and ski Sat and/or Sun mornings.  Resort guests pay more but don't really care since they only ski once a year or they do the lesson/gear/ticket package.  They are happy to have a ski slope that isn't 5+ hours drive away from DC.  Pretty much a win-win scenario.

I've skied at Tenney and elsewhere in NE recently.  Tenney is not Magic or Berkshire East.  Not every ski area/resort has the same business model.  Whether it works or not, I don't know.  But I'm interested to wait and see.  I've talked to Michael a few times.  He's not the typical ski area owner for assorted reasons.  He thinks long term, not short term.

Powder Mountain in Utah chooses to limit the number of people on the slopes for different reasons.  A lot of people didn't understand what Summit had in mind when they bought PowMow.  From my experience, Tenney could be an exception in the same way Massanutten and PowMow are in their respective regions.

6 hours ago, treeskier82 said:

Never skied it but looks like decently steep and rugged terrain. 

Not even close. One of the least steep and mellow mid-sized mountains around. 

Regarding the 18" claim, maybe that is true but just under a foot at my place just a few miles away as the crow flies. Maybe they were putting the base at 18" when you add this storm on top of the previous base? If the 18" claim was true, that could actually be a good reason not to open because there are almost no trails on that mountain on which you'd be able to move downhill on 18" of think dense snow.