Cannonballer

JetBlue Boston->Steamboat is a game changer

I love Colorado skiing.  But if you have limited time I usually recommend Utah over Colorado since it's so quick to get to the mountains from SLC vs a fairly long drive from Denver.  Now JetBlue is offering direct flights from Boston to Steamboat.  Some of the options are only ~$400.  That's a complete game-changer for choosing a destination. 

JetBlue.JPG

• Like 1

Only 2 flights a week. If stay for a shorter period of time you only get 2 days of skiing.
Not really. That was kind of my point. For a short trip Utah has always been the winner because you could fly in, get to the slopes for a half day afternoon, get a day or two, then fly back. I've done it several times. That was never really feasible for Colorado because it takes so much extra time to get between the airport and the mountains in each direction. You basically lose a day on either end. This new direct flight right into Steamboat changes that.
But even if you are doing a full week it shaves off a ton of extra travel time that still makes it a great CO option.
On top of that, steamboat is on the Ikon pass. So as a New Englander you get a nice bonus being able to hit Steamboat so easily.

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Fly in Saturday Ski Sun-tue fly home Wednesday.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Exactly! And I just looked up that scenario for January. $226 (plus bags). That's a dirt cheap direct flight into ski country. The steamboat airport is really close to town. You could theoretically get a couple turns on the days of arrival and departure. If you were just using up Ikon days it wouldn't be an extra cost. Sun, Mon, Tues full days of skiing. Plus partial days Sat & Wed. For a $226 flight?? Hell yeah, that's a good Western option that didn't exist before!

1545189763884.thumb.jpg.57947da5133c9eb2d4e9c50239d15088.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Exactly! And I just looked up that scenario for January. $226 (plus bags). That's a dirt cheap direct flight into ski country. The steamboat airport is really close to town. You could theoretically get a couple turns on the days of arrival and departure. If you were just using up Ikon days it wouldn't be an extra cost. Sun, Mon, Tues full days of skiing. Plus partial days Sat & Wed. For a $226 flight?? Hell yeah, that's a good Western option that didn't exist before!

1545189763884.thumb.jpg.57947da5133c9eb2d4e9c50239d15088.jpg

I'm doing that exact trip (ski Sun-Tues) in late January! Got it for under $220 direct. Amazing deal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Not really. That was kind of my point. For a short trip Utah has always been the winner because you could fly in, get to the slopes for a half day afternoon, get a day or two, then fly back. I've done it several times. That was never really feasible for Colorado because it takes so much extra time to get between the airport and the mountains in each direction. You basically lose a day on either end. This new direct flight right into Steamboat changes that.
But even if you are doing a full week it shaves off a ton of extra travel time that still makes it a great CO option.
On top of that, steamboat is on the Ikon pass. So as a New Englander you get a nice bonus being able to hit Steamboat so easily.

Not that it is steamboat but I have skied at Loveland on my flight out day. Not on fly in day as I want to acclimate before hitting the slopes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

Not that it is steamboat but I have skied at Loveland on my flight out day. Not on fly in day as I want to acclimate before hitting the slopes.

Yup, that's always been the best option for CO. And a pretty good option at that!  Still, it's ~1.5 hrs from Loveland to DIA (plus all the time it takes to deal with the S**Show that is DIA!!).   Hayden is an easy ~30min to Steamboat and I'm sure they'll have shuttles set up for these flights.   

You make a good point about elevation too.  Steamboat is still pretty high, but it's one of the lower elevation CO resorts.  Steamboat's summit is slightly lower than Loveland's base!  So you also get a minor acclimation benefit on a short trip by hitting Steamboat instead of other CO resorts. 

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

That is an outrageously good deal for direct flights to a western ski town.

Perhaps this should be on your radar for trip planning for next yr...you have heard it from me before but I bet interest/attendance is up vs going overseas.

I agree this flight is a game changer for steamboat, but I always thought Summit Co was easily accessible too. Early evening fly out of Boston on a weeknight direct to Denver, pick up rental car (I've never found DIA to be a shitshow), drive up to where I'm skiing, check-in around midnight, go-to sleep. Ski any number of days. On the last day change after skiing, drive back to DIA, do some quick repacking before returning the car. Nighttime check in for red-eye back to Boston. Land, get bags, drive home, shower, go to work. I would get 4 days skiing in Summit Co using only 2 vacation days with that itenerary.

• Like 1

I agree this flight is a game changer for steamboat, but I always thought Summit Co was easily accessible too. Early evening fly out of Boston on a weeknight direct to Denver, pick up rental car (I've never found DIA to be a shitshow), drive up to where I'm skiing, check-in around midnight, go-to sleep. Ski any number of days. On the last day change after skiing, drive back to DIA, do some quick repacking before returning the car. Nighttime check in for red-eye back to Boston. Land, get bags, drive home, shower, go to work. I would get 4 days skiing in Summit Co using only 2 vacation days with that itenerary.
That's a legit approach. I did that a lot in my 20s and never though twice about it. But I'll admit it, these days I'm too old to ski, drive to the airport, take a red-eye, and get to work. That's a day lost for me so I'm always looking to cut down on travel time.
For that matter, when I was a kid in Colorado my uncles from the East Coast used to drive non-stop to visit us. They'd show up, crash on the couch for a few hours, ski a day, load up the pickup with Coors, then drive all the way straight back to MA/NH! They probably only took 2 days off too!

Get it while your able dude and make the most of every minute!

19 minutes ago, SkiingInABlueDream said:

Depends on your definition of easy accessibility. It's a long drive from DIA to summit. Not hard if theres no traffic, but to most of the resorts its close to or over 2 hours.

Depends on your definition of easy accessibility. It's a long drive from DIA to summit. Not hard if theres no traffic, but to most of the resorts its close to or over 2 hours.

1:23 to loveland, 1:36 to abasin

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

2 hours ago, SkiingInABlueDream said:

I did the same thing last year in Europe. left my apartment at am 3:30, skiing by 11:30 on the deepest day I have ever had in my life. skied till 3 the day of I flew back. Flew both ways half dressed to ski.

2 hours ago, Smellytele said:

1:23 to loveland, 1:36 to abasin

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

In perfect traffic conditions, sure, but I70 traffic and just traffic around Denver in general can slow you to two hours even to ABasin pretty easily.

Its all relative. Compared to SLC it's a good bit less convenient in my book. Smaller airport, much quicker access. Overall it's still not bad at all to make a long weekend work (I'm doing exactly what SkiingInABlueDream said later this winter), which can't always be said for other areas, but SLC and now Steamboat are different leagues IMO.

5 hours ago, Jully said:

In perfect traffic conditions, sure, but I70 traffic and just traffic around Denver in general can slow you to two hours even to ABasin pretty easily.

Its all relative. Compared to SLC it's a good bit less convenient in my book. Smaller airport, much quicker access. Overall it's still not bad at all to make a long weekend work (I'm doing exactly what SkiingInABlueDream said later this winter), which can't always be said for other areas, but SLC and now Steamboat are different leagues IMO.

Exactly !! Throw in a good snowstorm and I70 can be a blast ! Always super fun to get detoured through Loveland Pass during a blizzard !

SteamBoat is looking pretty attractive with our current weather situation ! Wish I still had relatives who owned at One Steamboat place !!

23 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

You make a good point about elevation too.  Steamboat is still pretty high, but it's one of the lower elevation CO resorts.  Steamboat's summit is slightly lower than Loveland's base!  So you also get a minor acclimation benefit on a short trip by hitting Steamboat instead of other CO resorts. 

For a short ski trip from sea level I would say Steamboat's 6k base is a big acclimation benefit over Summit County's 9k base!  And you can skip a rental car by taking this cheap direct flight to Steamboat.  Good deal.

Steamboat's not the most challenging mtn, but for typical recreational advanced skier it's pretty darn nice.  The town is quite nice and free bus takes around the area.  Using this flight for a full one week vacation would be very relaxing.  No rental car and a lot of stuff in the vicinity for apres ski.  Take a day or two off to hang around town and/or go to Strawberry hot springs.

Edited by JimK

My buddy who originally clued me in to this deal back in December leaves for Steamboat tomorrow.  Back in December I didn't want to commit because I didn't know what my work schedule and eastern conditions would be.  My work schedule is non-existent (thanks gov shutdown!) and eastern ski conditions are shite.  I will not make that mistake again!

• Like 1