Sign in to follow this  
Benski

James Niehues vs VistaMap

I am a big fan of James Niehues maps, such as Sugarbush's, Snowbirds, Hunter and Jay Peak . But it seams ski areas have been switching to VistaMaps. such as Killington and Stowe. Does anyone prefer these maps. Both these ski areas had James Niehues maps before switching. 

I much prefer a Niehues trail map.  VistaMap is designed for "interactive trail maps."  While those can be handy when looking around before a ski day, I end up looking at the big trail maps on the mountain or in a lodge a lot more while skiing.  With old eyes, a big paper trail map by Neihues is a better reference than looking at a little screen on a phone.

There are small ski areas that have Niehues trail maps too.  Massanutten and Cataloochee for instance.

8 minutes ago, MarzNC said:

I much prefer a Niehues trail map.  VistaMap is designed for "interactive trail maps." 

It seams Neihues maps are not an obstacle to creating interactive maps and some VistaMaps resorts don't come in an interactive map. 

On 12/18/2018 at 10:24 PM, Benski said:

It seams Neihues maps are not an obstacle to creating interactive maps and some VistaMaps resorts don't come in an interactive map. 

Yeah, figured that out after I posted.

In any case, glad I'm getting his book.  Final tally for the Kickstarter was close to $600,000 from just over 5000 people.

The man who is being mentored by Niehues lives in Bozeman.  Glad someone is taking an interest.  Rad Smith started on computers but realized computer graphics had limitations.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2376261/man-behind-ski-maps

On Retirement: “I’ve tried to retire, but then someone will call me and I’ve always wanted to do their mountain, so I end up jumping back in. I’m doing a sketch of Mount Bachelor right now; they have 180 degrees of skiing, and I’ve always wanted to do that. An artist named Rad Smith, who is in Bozeman, Montana, is working as a protégé. He used to make maps with computers but realized he couldn’t do it as well, so he went back to painting. There don’t seem to be any others who are jumping into it. It’s a small market. It was a small market for me.”