Sign in to follow this  
frapcap

Crotched 12.26

Crotched was surprisingly good last night.

They were blowing loads of snow and did a great job with the surfaces all over the hill. A vast improvement since Sunday. 

• Like 2

Haven't actually made it to the Crotch yet this year. Report has Equinox ungroomed, are they leaving it with bumps (or half bumps) like they did for portions of last year?

4 hours ago, frapcap said:

Crotched was surprisingly good last night.

They were blowing loads of snow and did a great job with the surfaces all over the hill. A vast improvement since Sunday. 

I need to get up there soon ! Ive never been there, looking forward to some night skiing during the week !

• Like 1

I live 90 minutes from Crotched and I have a Peak Pass. Also, I live 20 minutes from Wachusett. Is it worth me driving to Crotched for mid-week skiing or am I looking at Wachusett a little further north?

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

With the exception of xmas, a couple nights the first week and a couple days at wildcat/cannon I have skied crotched everyday they have been open this year. The former GM was replaced over the summer, I have been told by someone in the know that the new gm was the architect behind carinthia. The increased snow production, recovery from last weeks rain, park build and overall grooming are noticeably improved this year. They had a machine in zero g all day yesterday, could not figure out what they were building, have let them know in the past that a mini skier cross with banked turns would be nice in there, will check it out tonight if it stops raining.

The overall quantity of paper tickets is noticeably increased, was told they sold over 300 tickets yesterday morning. My observation is a high quantity of college kids and first timers. Crowding was evident on moon walk only, no wait more than a couple chairs. The line on the cafeteria side was 5+ mins, the bar has been overwhelmed many times this year - poor service, long waits, wrong orders, etc.

Edit: equinox/UFO were groomed flat yesterday, it was the first day open, whales were 10' +, has not really been an opportunity for bumps to form this year

Edited by thebigo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thebigo said:

Edit: equinox/UFO were groomed flat yesterday, it was the first day open, whales were 10' +, has not really been an opportunity for bumps to form this year

Ah, I figured that. There's no skiable bumps at Wildcat or Sunday River right now either after all the freeze-thaw cycles, so I was confused to see that.

Hope the new GM doesn't change the grooming plan from last year too much! Night skiing on ungroomed terrain was so refreshing last year.