Jump to content
xwhaler

Roll Call XMas/New Yrs Week

Recommended Posts

Where's everyone headed?

I've been off since last Friday 12/21. Skied Bromley last Sunday with the family then got into full on Family Xmas mode off skis

 

Have the next 6 days off and ready to start skiing!

Today: Ragged

Next 5 days: Ragged

 

Pray for snow!

 

 

 

Sent from my moto g(6) using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had planned for Cannon all weekend, but today they couldn’t even open. Whomp whomp. I’m just hoping for “not a skating rink” for the rest of the weekend!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SkiMom said:

Had planned for Cannon all weekend, but today they couldn’t even open. Whomp whomp. I’m just hoping for “not a skating rink” for the rest of the weekend!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same deal as last week?

Yet the last year or two everyone seemed pretty happy with their snowmaking efforts since the upgrades, this year, not so much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Same deal as last week?
Yet the last year or two everyone seemed pretty happy with their snowmaking efforts since the upgrades, this year, not so much...
Cannon's snowmaking has still been great. That was not the issue today. Cannon gets really wacked when wind is out of the South. Today was 25+ from the south. Wind holds across all lifts. Definitely a bummer, but very predictable. Saw that coming a few days ago with the wind forecast. Other mountains across all New England also with wind holds today ( from Killington, to Sunday River, to Sugarloaf).

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cannon’s front 5 was skiing great today. Upper mountain different world. Started out okay then the clouds and wind moved in. Freezing fog for a couple of mid day runs up high. As I said skiing off sooner triple was good all day though


Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skied Wildcat Friday. 3-4" fresh powder in the morning. Turned to rain around lunch. Made for wet clothes but still much more grip available compared to earlier in the week. Too bad they had to shut down the summit lift for part of the afternoon due to icing. Eventually it opened back up and got a couple decent runs in. Overall a good day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am seeing forecasts of 60mph wind gusts tonight at Cannon, 65mph at Wildcat, and then 45mph wind gusts at Cannon tomorrow morning, 60mph for Wildcat. Do people think there will even be any lifts running at either Cannon or Wildcat? Cannon was closed on Friday due to winds that were around 45mph. 

Edited by GrewUpSkiingWachusett
EDIT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am seeing forecasts of 60mph wind gusts tonight at Cannon, 65mph at Wildcat, and then 45mph wind gusts at Cannon tomorrow morning, 60mph for Wildcat. Do people think there will even be any lifts running at either Cannon or Wildcat? Cannon was closed on Friday due to winds that were around 45mph. 
Good chance Cannon will be closed. Not just the wind speeds but also the direction. SW is a Cannon killer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think that Loon would have lifts spinning even if Cannon didn't? I don't want to make the drive for nothing, I can drive to Cannon and if they aren't running lifts just head over to Loon. I'm skeptical that Wildcat will be able to spin lifts given that they are facing even higher winds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Do you think that Loon would have lifts spinning even if Cannon didn't? I don't want to make the drive for nothing, I can drive to Cannon and if they aren't running lifts just head over to Loon. I'm skeptical that Wildcat will be able to spin lifts given that they are facing even higher winds.
Loon and Bretton Woods are both less impacted by wind compared to Cannon. Also, SW wind is especially bad for Cannon but not so much for the other two places. So there is a good chance one of those places will be open even if Cannon has windholds.
The whole other story for tomorrow will be snow vs ice vs rain. Cannon probably wins that one due to higher elevation. But obviously a moot point if the lifts aren't spinning.
My plan is to shoot for Cannon, with a backup plan of Loon if winds are bad.

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Loon and Bretton Woods are both less impacted by wind compared to Cannon. Also, SW wind is especially bad for Cannon but not so much for the other two places. So there is a good chance one of those places will be open even if Cannon has windholds.
The whole other story for tomorrow will be snow vs ice vs rain. Cannon probably wins that one due to higher elevation. But obviously a moot point if the lifts aren't spinning.
My plan is to shoot for Cannon, with a backup plan of Loon if winds are bad.

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app
 

It looks like that will be my plan as well. Hopefully there will be some lifts spinning between the two of them. Open Snow has the winds going from South during the night to West by 8-9am and then finally to NW by the afternoon at Cannon. Wind speeds of 40-50mph with gusts up to 70mph. The increase in wind speeds seems to bode poorly for Cannon, though perhaps wind from the West would let the Zoomer lift run?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that sucked. Got up at 3am, couple inches of fresh on the ground, went back to bed with a smile on my face. Got up at 6am, 4" on the ground, sleeting and raining, went back to bed turned off all alarms. Got up at 7:30, pouring rain, filled my coffee cup with burbon. 10am still raining, wind threatening to blow my house off it's foundation, got a larger mug for the burbon. Noon, some sun, shoveled the driveway to remove the 3" of 99.9% water content slush. 3pm nursing a pulled back, drinking straight from the bottle.
So far 2019 can suck it!

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cannon actually skied pretty well this morning, but the temps dropped around lunch time and turned it into a skating rink.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Well that sucked. Got up at 3am, couple inches of fresh on the ground, went back to bed with a smile on my face. Got up at 6am, 4" on the ground, sleeting and raining, went back to bed turned off all alarms. Got up at 7:30, pouring rain, filled my coffee cup with burbon. 10am still raining, wind threatening to blow my house off it's foundation, got a larger mug for the burbon. Noon, some sun, shoveled the driveway to remove the 3" of 99.9% water content slush. 3pm nursing a pulled back, drinking straight from the bottle.
So far 2019 can suck it!

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app
 

 

IMG_0368.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Mobile Apps available!

Please try our mobile apps for iOS and Android

×