Sign in to follow this  
nopeda

Please help with suggestions about moving to Maine

Hi,

I'm interested in trying to move to Maine some time in early to mid summer, preferably in an area fairly close to Sugarloaf though far enough from that specific location to find less expensive opportunities for buying a house. People don't have to warn me that it will be cold. That's one of the main reasons for wanting to move up there. I would very much like to be in a place where I can ride a snowmobile to the trails without having to trailer if possible. I currently work at a wastewater treatment plant in the state of Georgia but have gotten my class 3 operator license in Maine in the hopes of being able to find a job in that field. I certainly want to have a job before moving up there. I plan on making a trip up to that area probably some time in February to experience the area in the winter and also try to find out about possible job opportunities. I've been trying to make a list of wastewater treatment plants within about 60 or so miles but further away would be okay also though less desirable. The wastewater plants I've found through Google all seem to be publicly run facilities but I'd be glad for any opportunity including a plant run by some sort of business. The place where I work now is a very small plant run by a resort. 

Any suggestions on specifically how to proceed with this, or specific locations of treatment plants (especially privately run since public ones are easier to find with Google maps) or any kind of specific information about that area, or Farmington area, or any places in what seems to me the central part of the state would be very much appreciated. Also suggestions about areas where there might be lower priced real estate options in that part of the state. Also any snowmobiling related information or suggestions. I'm thinking I would like to volunteer for some trail grooming if it would be possible since that would add another whole level of learning and experience.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

David Harrison
Buford, GA

• Like 1

Interesting questions.  

Have you looked into Rangeley, ME?  It's a small resort town about 35 miles west of Sugarloaf ski area.  It is known to be popular with snowmobilers in the winter and there are numerous scenic lakes in the area.  Rangeley recently experienced an economic downturn due to closing of a major local business.  There was a nice medium sized ski area called Saddleback that operated 8 miles away, but it went out of business about four years ago.  If it comes back to life that will help revitalize the area.

The ski resort of Timberline, WV needed someone in your line of work.  There is a good winter sports culture there in the Canaan Valley with two other ski areas nearby, but consistently good snowmobiling conditions would not probably be likely. 

Edited by JimK

11 hours ago, JimK said:

Interesting questions.  

Have you looked into Rangeley, ME?  It's a small resort town about 35 miles west of Sugarloaf ski area.  It is known to be popular with snowmobilers in the winter and there are numerous scenic lakes in the area.  Rangeley recently experienced an economic downturn due to closing of a major local business.  There was a nice medium sized ski area called Saddleback that operated 8 miles away, but it went out of business about four years ago.  If it comes back to life that will help revitalize the area.

The ski resort of Timberline, WV needed someone in your line of work.  There is a good winter sports culture there in the Canaan Valley with two other ski areas nearby, but consistently good snowmobiling conditions would not probably be likely. 

Thank you so much for the suggestions! Rangeley would be great and I'll try to talk to them and hopefully tour the plant when I go up there. Thank you for mentioning the WV situation also, but Maine is where I would like to go so I'll try to stick with that if possible.

Thought I would chime in since I'm very familiar with the area.

In the mountain area, Rangeley is probably the place to start. It's a real self-contained town, albeit a small one, with a supermarket, a number of restaurants, and most of the businesses one might want close by, with the exception of a pharmacy - for that you have to do the 45 min. drive to Farmington. It's also in a strikingly beautiful area, and the town manages to be a resort town without being a tourist trap. Definitely a big snowmobiling center. As Jim says, Rangeley suffered during the economic downturn, but it has been doing much better over the last couple of years, and a number of new hospitality businesses have opened recently and more are on the way. Everyone hopes Saddleback reopens one day, but that's a whole 'nother (messy) kettle of fish.

(As you probably know, the town wastewater treatment facility is rather unusual, involving the dispersion of treated wastewater through high pressure sprayers in a prescribed area, avoiding the direct discharge of the effluent into waterways - sort of like, um, snowmaking, as I understand it...)

Farmington is a bigger town, with some larger businesses, which might have more employment opportunities. However, since you want to snowmobile, it's important to know that the climate is noticeably warmer than Rangeley, more so than the thousand foot elevation difference might suggest. In my experience, it's not unusual for Rangeley to have a deep snowpack when Farmington just has snowbanks.

Real estate is generally fairly cheap, unless you are near Sugarloaf or are looking at waterfront.

I don't know if they have black flies in Georgia, but you will learn about them during your first spring in the Maine mountains. Forewarned is forearmed (with DEET)!

Good luck with your search!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP is snowmobiling your main interest?

If skiing isn't really a big priority, but snowmobiling is, The St John River Valley is pretty sweet. Ft Kent is a pretty charming town. I'm staying in Edmundston, NB tonight which combined with Madawaska is a surprisingly large (by Maine standards) metro area. Towns of Snowmobiling up in this area.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app