8 minutes ago, StraightSkis said:

Awesome idea. December 17 would become Saint Squirrel day. I would show up to celebrate that. 

They have been informed. Feel free to like and retweet. Let's get #TripleTrouble trending.

• Like 2

From today:

First things first, I know you want to know, and the word is, the summit chair will not run today. It's status for tomorrow is not yet determined. Check back for an update. 

#TripleTrouble

2 hours ago, Weatherman said:

From today:

#TripleTrouble

I was there today and asked when it would be opened.  They are waiting for a part and plan on Sat

On 1/6/2019 at 9:07 PM, Infinite Dreams said:

I know at one point it was said one of the reasons they cannot put in a HSQ is on hill capacity can't handle the up hill capacity of a quad. This makes no sense to me. Can't they just spread out the chairs to control skiers up hill?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Not exactly new thinking , the MRG had 50 chairs in it in 1948, they just use that as an excuse, why would Peaks resort want to make investment at Attitash when you can buy three small hills for 78 mil ????

January 8, 2019 - Light at the end of the tunnel

As you may have noticed, The Summit Triple was not running today.  We've gone ahead and decided to replace the entire drive of the lift in order to get to the root of the issue and solve things once-and-for-all.  While we had originally considered waiting until after the coming weekend to begin this work, we decided that there is no time like the present to get this fix going, and so will be diving into it today.  

Here is the timeline for the coming week:

• Several parts arrived today, with the main drive system scheduled to arrive from Salt Lake City tomorrow morning.
  • Wednesday morning, a technician from SkyTrac Lifts, along with our lift mechanic team here at Attitash and several technicians from some of our sister resorts, will get to work installing this new drive system, which is scheduled to take two days and finish up on Thursday. 
  • Once the work has been completed, we will begin load testing the new lift under the supervision of the New Hampshire Tramway Board.  This process is slated to take place on Friday and if everything goes right, we plan on having the lift spinning for the coming weekend.  

• Like 1

I'm thinking the summit chair needs a new name. They have "Flying Bear" and "Flying Yankee" so why not "Flying Squirrel". Could always role with St. Squirrel Six Pack or the Squirrely Express for the new lift.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Flying Yeti said:

I'm thinking the summit chair needs a new name. They have "Flying Bear" and "Flying Yankee" so why not "Flying Squirrel". Could always role with St. Squirrel Six Pack or the Squirrely Express for the new lift.

problem with flying squirrel is even when it is running the lift does the opposite of flying. Maybe crawling squirrel?

The Summit Triple continues to be a hive of activity during the past 36 hours, and so we wanted to take a moment and update you all on what we've been up to.

• A technician from SkyTrac Lifts arrived onsite from Salt Lake City on Wednesday and immediately got to work with our crew to install several new components. These include: new mounting hardware for the new drive, a new AC to DC converter, and a new wiring interface that connects the drive into the control system of the lift (start button, stop button, etc.), and several other smaller parts.
  • Today and tonight are going to be all about getting the new drive ready for install. In order to do this, the team will be working late into the night tonight and starting again early tomorrow morning. This process should take 18-20 man hours if everything goes to plan. Once the drive is installed, our technicians will have to tune it to work in harmony with the lift, which should take about 2-4 hours of fine tuning.
  • Once these installations are all complete, we will need to start up the lift for basic testing and tuning, followed by a full load test on Friday. We will also be meeting with the NH Tramboard at 10 a.m. on Friday, so they can inspect and signoff on the work we’ve done.

All in all, this process has been going to plan so far, and we are still shooting to have this lift operational for the weekend. Please keep checking back on this blog for updates.

If I gave a squirrels butt about attitash I'd have been verrry frustrated with that "light at the end of the tunnel" headline because my first reaction was, ooooh high speed lift?!?! Oh nope. I do feel bad for attitash fans. I did a day there about 5 years ago and while it was uncrowded and the lift ran fine, the long ride got old pretty quickly.

checked the snow report, trying to figure out where to ski tomorrow, how is avenger not open in the middle of january? 

48 minutes ago, thebigo said:

checked the snow report, trying to figure out where to ski tomorrow, how is avenger not open in the middle of january? 

They are probably grooming it out. It's had whales on it for a couple of weeks now. To their credit, Attitash left the whales for people to play on. Kudos to them.

Latest update

Summit Triple Lift Status Update

UPDATE:  January 12, 2019  10:45am - It’s Alive 

Today,  we completed a complete overhaul of the drive for the Summit Triple Lift. If you were on-site here this morning you would have noticed large boxes on our Summit Triple. Those were full of water (which turned to ice, it’s pretty chilly here today) that simulated 3 humans on each chair of the lift to certify that the new drive would handle rotating the lift under all possible weight.  This process began at 4:00 a.m.  and was completed by 9:00 a.m. with no problems.  The crew is currently off-loading all the ice boxes at the summit, disposing of the ice and collecting the boxes and storing them off to the side.

We now plan to open the lift to the public today at approximately 11:00 a.m. and we intend to run it everyday we possibly can for the remainder of the season!  We thank you again for your patience during this unfortunate situation. Once this lift opens today, you’ll have access to some of the best terrain and conditions Attitash has to offer due to the  recent storm on trails like Idiot’s Option, Upper Ptarmigan & Humphrey’s Ledge.

The Backstory:  

As you might be aware, our Summit Triple Lift has unfortunately been down for a number of days. During this time, our Attitash Mountain Operations team, along with two of the best lift electrical mechanics in the country from New Hampshire Electric Motors, and representatives from the New Hampshire Tram Board, have been working round-the-clock to diagnose, address, and fix the issue. While they have been making progress, at this time we are unable to give you an estimated reopening date and time. Please check back on this blog for the most up-to-date information on this fix.

Now for a little background on this lift and the process so far. Over the past Summer, in preparation for the upcoming winter, we performed extensive scheduled and required maintenance as advised by lift manufacturer, C-Tec. Along with the recommended work, we also performed a large amount of additional maintenance to this lift including: 

A complete rebuild of the electric drive motor.

A complete rebuild of the hydraulic tension system.

Installation of a re-machined brake disc, with a new brake disc coupling system. 

As you can imagine, lifts are very complicated pieces of machinery that are expected to function in conditions where most mechanical systems wouldn’t. They are able to to so, both because they are designed to withstand that which Mother Nature throws at them, and because of extensive lift maintenance plans and procedures. With this in mind, we pride ourselves on our preventative lift maintenance programs here at Attitash, which go above and beyond manufacturer recommendations. 

After all of our off-season updates and maintenance, the Summit Triple had been working flawlessly in the run up to the season. That is, until a single squirrel threw a metaphorical wrench in our plans, back on December 17, 2018, when they decided to step on the wrong part of the line that feeds power to our entire resort. We regret to inform you, but the squirrel is now up in the great oak tree in the sky, R.I.P. little guy. 

Since that unfortunate incident, we’ve been dealing with a number of electrical faults that have affected lift operations so far this season. On the bright side, due to the fact that we know it is an electrical issue, we can rule out anything mechanically and structurally that might be wrong. 

While our crews continue to work around the clock, we wanted to fill you in on some of the work they’ve done so far. Below you’ll find an approximate timeline of what has been accomplished over the last few days, along with some photos of the process and our hard-working lift mechanic team. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I'm not a lift mechanic or an electrician, but that whole squirrel story seems pretty bogus to me. You can't start your excuse by saying that your lifts "are designed to withstand that which Mother Nature throws at them". And then say it broke because a squirrel stepped on it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

I'm not a lift mechanic or an electrician, but that whole squirrel story seems pretty bogus to me. You can't start your excuse by saying that your lifts "are designed to withstand that which Mother Nature throws at them". And then say it broke because a squirrel stepped on.

You're absolutely right. And the fact that they repaired this lift makes me sad. I have to imagine they'll consider the issue closed. If this mess doesn't catalyze a new lift install, I don't think anything short of a catastrophic accident with injuries would do it.

On 1/14/2019 at 7:24 AM, Cannonballer said:

I'm not a lift mechanic or an electrician, but that whole squirrel story seems pretty bogus to me. You can't start your excuse by saying that your lifts "are designed to withstand that which Mother Nature throws at them". And then say it broke because a squirrel stepped on it.

No opinion about the Attitash triple since I'm unlikely to ski it again, but squirrels causing problem with the power grid is a known issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_disruptions_caused_by_squirrels

I remember people talking about transformers popping off because of an adventurous squirrel when I first move into a house out in the county near Chapel Hill, NC back in the 1980s.

Edited by MarzNC

No opinion about the Attitash triple since I'm unlikely to ski it again, but squirrels causing problem with the power grid is a known issue.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_disruptions_caused_by_squirrels
I remember people talking about transformers popping off because of an adventurous squirrel when I first move into a house out in the county near Chapel Hill, NC back in the 1980s.
Sure, squirrels suck. And they are well known to bridge electrical connections. Which can create problems for the wires and much bigger problems for themselves. (I had an electrically fried squirrel laying in my front lawn during Halloween. The tricker-treaters thought it was a decoration!) My point was, don't hype how your lifts can withstand everything "which Mother Nature can throw at them" when squirrels are one of the more well known ingredients of Mother Nature.

• Like 1