Benski

Meeting people while skiing

I am looking for some advice meeting women skiing. Is it weird to go up to girls in the lodge or ask them to stay with you after riding the lift with them alone? The ski area bar is never a bad place to meet people I feel like college aged people tend to be underrepresented there.

38 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

Word of caution - ski clothing is very deceptive and hides a lot of flaws...

This. But that's a two-way street.

The bar is a good place to start. I meet lots of new people at the Wildcat bar, but that's also mostly friends of bar friends. It's a relatively small crowd there so there is lots of social interaction between regulars.

Better yet -- join a ski club. I may sound like a broken record here, but seriously do it. It's very common for club members to meet spouses through the club social network. There's a big after-dark social scene in the MWV clubs. I've lost count of how many marriages of young members we've seen in the last few years, and how many more are imminent.

Most ski area bars aren't reasonably priced for college aged folks to hang and drink at- though the Wildcat bar certainly is.

I'd recommend making a point of meeting and talking to anyone and everyone- not necessarily only the women. Most folks are in a good mood during and after a day of skiing and are very talkative. 

To echo the Weatherman, lots of people in a social mindset belong to the ski clubs. Lets meet for some turns and chat about it. Unless. You know...you don't want to because I'm not a woman. 😛 

1 hour ago, Smellytele said:

Word of caution - ski clothing is very deceptive and hides a lot of flaws...

Thats a two way street that goes for women and men.  
"My momma always said, life is like a box of chocolates..."

The ski area bar is also not best for college aged kids though I a senior and 22. A sophomore or junior will likely be nervous or unable to go to respectable establishment. Also people my age are more uptight about drinking and driving, which also puts ski area bars at a relative disadvantage.

I have had some success with college ski clubs. But of the people I met, the only one still in college i think though I was a doush for saying nothing at Mt Snow is a challenge right before skiing there.

Different type of club dude! The MWV clubs are houses with lots of social members. 

We will be at Wildcat this weekend. Come and meet the Weatherman and I there and we will happily tell you more. 

The ski area bar is also not best for college aged kids though I a senior and 22. A sophomore or junior will likely be nervous or unable to go to respectable establishment. Also people my age are more uptight about drinking and driving, which also puts ski area bars at a relative disadvantage.

I have had some success with college ski clubs. But of the people I met, the only one still in college i think though I was a doush for saying nothing at Mt Snow is a challenge right before skiing there.

3 minutes ago, Benski said:

It is hard to imagine right now, but you're world will be very different in 6 months. The social scene in college is very different. Once you've graduated, all of the sudden the difference between 22 and 30 starts to look trivial. At the risk of sounding like an old man (I'm in my mid 30s)... it's time to start thinking about life after graduation. You won't be meeting people at class or in the dorms.

As far as ski area bars go... there are a few options out there. Killington has it's fair share complete with Joey from Jersey and his douchebaggery. The MWV has a very different scene

• Like 2

On 1/3/2019 at 2:11 PM, Weatherman said:

As far as ski area bars go... there are a few options out there. Killington has it's fair share complete with Joey from Jersey and his douchebaggery. The MWV has a very different scene

I have heard that, my college has a trip to Killington planned, but a 1 day bus trip.  My issue is more a short term, I got a half season where I only have 3 classes, and could have a lot of opportunities where friends who ski could be useful. I am sure a whole lot will change after college. My ski friends are mostly older and have scattered west of the Mississippi/Australia.