fcksummer

1/7 - 1/9 - Storm

4 hours ago, fcksummer said:

This storm is really two pieces. Where the low tracks from the Berks across Southern VT to southern NH  and coastal Maine will start with rain/freezing rain and change over to some heavy snow. Everywhere in NH/VT probably grabs 4-8"  (I'd imagine north of Sugarbush and Wildcat will probably be more 6-10"). Then the upslope starts to crank and who knows where it stops and who gets what. I'd be a bit surprised if Wildcat, Bush/MRG, Jay, Stowe, Smuggs didn't get 14-16"+. 

What did I fuck up on @Weatherman?

Edited by Flying Yeti
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

This storm is really two pieces. Where the low tracks from the Berks across Southern VT to southern NH  and coastal Maine will start with rain/freezing rain and change over to some heavy snow. Everywhere in NH/VT probably grabs 4-8"  (I'd imagine north of Sugarbush and Wildcat will probably be more 6-10"). Then the upslope starts to crank and who knows where it stops and who gets what. I'd be a bit surprised if Wildcat, Bush/MRG, Jay, Stowe, Smuggs didn't get 14-16"+. 

I like your numbers.......Meeooow !!!

11 minutes ago, ABV said:

I like your numbers.......Meeooow !!!

My concern is the block and all the wrap around falling into the Champlain Valley and Magic getting screwed. 

qpf_acc.us_ne.png

This is the type of deal where Pico under reports and gets 6-8"+ than Killington. Last December K reported 3-4" from some wrap-around. Meanwhile Pico had about 12-15" with 4" rates during the day.

Image may contain: outdoor

Edited by Flying Yeti

I'll be watching snow totals and lift/trail openings carefully this week as I decide between Magic, Pico, and Middlebury for Saturday.

3 minutes ago, xwhaler said:

I'll be watching snow totals and lift/trail openings carefully this week as I decide between Magic, Pico, and Middlebury for Saturday.

Read my mind. Am thinking Middlebury for a sneaky play Thurs or Friday if Magic gets screwed. Pico has been keeping too many ropes this year and are going into it with only 18 trails open. 

Two model camps

GFS/RGEM don't buy the SVT through central NH snows which would really cut down totals for those areas. Whereas the NAM/HRRR crush it. This is before upslope kicks in...

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

vs...

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

I promise not to cross-post in the future, but it seems like we are trying to figure out the best ways to simplify sharing of conditions updates. I posted more detail in a Loon specific thread.  But also figured it was a worthy real-time update on this current storm...

1/8/2019: 

3-4" on top of Loon's standard super-groom.  While other local areas (Cannon) had wind issues, Loon had light winds and all lifts running.  Crowds were minimal.  South Peak and North Peak were ski-on, while the Gondola line extended barely outside the building.   It continued to snow lightly throughout the entire although additional accumulation was only a trace.  Everything was is terrific shape.  There is some blue ice under the fresh snow, but except for the steepest trails (Ripsaw, etc)  there was rarely a reason to turn hard enough to get into anything firm. The biggest challenge of the day was a light icing on the goggles near the summit. I covered my goggles during lift rides and found that to help on the descents.   

1/9 should be pretty amazing with any amount of new accumulation. 

Edited by Cannonballer
  • Like 2

Today at Attitash was pretty decent.  They still don’t have the Summit Triple open.  I was told they are waiting on a part and it should be open Sat.  Planned on skiing tomorrow at Loon but some piece of shit stole my skis.  Trying to find new ones now but having a hard time finding a store that sells any Elan Inspire models.

47 minutes ago, Catherine said:

Planned on skiing tomorrow at Loon but some piece of shit stole my skis.  Trying to find new ones now but having a hard time finding a store that sells any Elan Inspire models.

That sucks!!!  I've been there, it's salt in the wound that you lose your gear AND can't ski. Rodgers, Lahouts, Sport Thoma, Village ski shop are all here in Lincoln for rentals.  They are all pretty good shops and might feel your pain enough to offer you a discount or at least credit towards future purchase.  Hope it works out. 

22 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

That sucks!!!  I've been there, it's salt in the wound that you lose your gear AND can't ski. Rodgers, Lahouts, Sport Thoma, Village ski shop are all here in Lincoln for rentals.  They are all pretty good shops and might feel your pain enough to offer you a discount or at least credit towards future purchase.  Hope it works out. 

Thanks.  I really loved my skis.  Been on the phone and internet trying to find them.  No luck.  They were expensive when I got them, and really suited me.  The shops around me don’t carry the Elan Inspire models.  One told me they were “too high end”.  I was told by a ski shop that Elan gives you more bang for your buck than his stock.  Gotta love a store that’s honest and gives advice based on your needs and doesn’t try to just make a sale.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Catherine said:

Thanks.  I really loved my skis.  Been on the phone and internet trying to find them.  No luck.  They were expensive when I got them, and really suited me.  The shops around me don’t carry the Elan Inspire models.  One told me they were “too high end”.  I was told by a ski shop that Elan gives you more bang for your buck than his stock.  Gotta love a store that’s honest and gives advice based on your needs and doesn’t try to just make a sale.  

Try calling Strand's in Worcester. They carry a lot of Elan. They might even call their rep and find you a pair. 

7 minutes ago, StraightSkis said:

Try calling Strand's in Worcester. They carry a lot of Elan. They might even call their rep and find you a pair. 

Just found a pair on eBay.  $459, new.  Have to have the bindings mounted.  Gonna wait till tomorrow.  Will call Strands first.  Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Catherine said:

Just found a pair on eBay.  $459, new.  Have to have the bindings mounted.  Gonna wait till tomorrow.  Will call Strands first.  Thanks!

FWIW. My homeowners insurance covered stolen skis before (yes, at the Mtn not at home).  That was a pretty long time ago and I don't recall all the details.  But might be worth looking into. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Catherine said:

Just PM'd you. LMK if it helps.

• Like 1

Wacky weather on the drive up to SR via the 93/3/115/2 route.  Freezing rain/mist to Campton exit, sleet noth of that until the top oof the hill just before Lincoln exit then snow from there through the Notch and about 26F.  Pop out of the notch and immediately snow covered roads gone, just wet and temp jumped to 32F on North side.  Hit route 2 and temp dropped back to 28F and back to snow covered roads until backside of presidentials, back to wet road but stayed 28F.  Climbed the last hill prior to the drop in Gorham, hit heavy Freezing Rain.  Dowwn in Gorham, temp dropped 2 degress and sleet and snow mix.  East side of Gorham, all snow and in Bethel, temp had dropped to 25F and all snow.  Weird to say the least.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Pics of falling snow in the dark never work, but it is absolutely dumping in Lincoln right now. My truck was clear of snow 30 min ago....

IMG_20190108_220136015.thumb.jpg.dfe78567d224702a8541750d86270137.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Seems most mountains in VT are reporting heavy and dense. That the case there?  

The new snow density should be decreasing throughout the day.

At least 3 inches overnight at SR, very dense and a lot of moisture content.  Base temp is around freezing but snowing pretty good right now.

About 8" in Lincoln, NH.  Loon actually seems to be underreporting.  We picked up at least another inch since I took this pic.  And it's snowing at >1"/hour.

IMG_20190109_081900130.jpg

Edited by Cannonballer
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2019 at 12:58 PM, Flying Yeti said:

Hard to miss visually or auditorily? lol 

Yep ....missed him.we stayed at South peak. Left around one o'clock. Skiing was great. Snow was little on the heavy side lol but MR102 was build for this kind of conditions DSC02331.thumb.JPG.b863e660bdaff0d84409ce27412144fd.JPGled for

Over a foot when all said and done at SR today.  Dense snow, low elevayions no groomed could be a bit tricky with the cold rushing in tonight.  The mountain says 100% open tomorrow, too bad most lifts will be on wind hold.  Already cranking up this afternoon and tonight.

12 hours ago, MadRussian said:

Yep ....missed him.we stayed at South peak. Left around one o'clock. Skiing was great. Snow was little on the heavy side lol but MR102 was build for this kind of conditions DSC02331.thumb.JPG.b863e660bdaff0d84409ce27412144fd.JPGled for

Don't know how we missed each other @MadRussian  I was at South Peak pretty much all day.  Oh well, the skiing was amazing! 

Edited by Cannonballer