fcksummer

1/7 - 1/9 - Storm

Update from 1/9 conditions:  
Loon in the AM: 8-10" of extremely dense snow.  Then intermittent rain/snow.  I was glad to be back on a board, most skiers were really struggling. I was pretty soaked bt 11 so I bailed for Cannon.
Cannon in the PM:  After getting stuck behind an accident in the Notch for 45min I finally got to Cannon. Completely different world than Loon.  6-8" at the base.  12"+ at the summit.  Super fluffy. Howling winds made for a whiteout and massive drifts.  People (including me) were falling all over the place as they crashed into or fell over giant drifts that they could see coming.  It was insanely good though!!  Trees were the best bet to deal with the wind and visibility problems,  Pretty much everything back in play!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Update from 1/9 conditions:  
Loon in the AM: 8-10" of extremely dense snow.  Then intermittent rain/snow.  I was glad to be back on a board, most skiers were really struggling. I was pretty soaked bt 11 so I bailed for Cannon.
Cannon in the PM:  After getting stuck behind an accident in the Notch for 45min I finally got to Cannon. Completely different world than Loon.  6-8" at the base.  12"+ at the summit.  Super fluffy. Howling winds made for a whiteout and massive drifts.  People (including me) were falling all over the place as they crashed into or fell over giant drifts that they could see coming.  It was insanely good though!!  Trees were the best bet to deal with the wind and visibility problems,  Pretty much everything back in play!

Heard they opened Kinsman Glade yesterday.  Did you try it out?

Cannon got about a foot. It was dry and fluffy up top but started out a little heavy on the front five/lower part of the Mtn. After noon when the temp dropped the front five snow actually dried out and it was fluffy as well. Nothing froze up although the very top got very windy and the cannonball quad closed around 3, 

Magic was stellar today. Still skiing untracked at 3pm. All the low angle woods are back in play with not many worries. A few waterbars to watch on Heart of the Magician to watch for as always. Left side of Black Line was amaze-balls. Lower sections of Red Line and Sorcerer were memorable. Glad winter is back. 

Edited by Flying Yeti
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fcksummer said:

IMG_20190111_061619.jpg

Little surprised how tight the line was. Mount Snow reported 8" since the weekend vs. 10-12 at Bromley and Magic.  But really surprised that Cannon did so much better than Wildcat, was definitely due to the initial part of the storm. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

Little surprised how tight the line was. Mount Snow reported 8" since the weekend vs. 10-12 at Bromley and Magic.  But really surprised that Cannon did so much better than Wildcat, was definitely due to the initial part of the storm. 

@ABV it's been settled by an outside party once and for all. Cannon > Wildcat

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

It's legit too.  Not a matter of overreporting, which Cannon can be very guilty of.  Loon is claiming 19"+, and I can confirm that here in Lincoln.  Running out of places to pile the snow from the driveway.

19 minutes ago, fcksummer said:

In order to make these outlandish claims one must ski BOTH ! Just sayn !!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ABV said:

Nope. Haters gonna hate. Wouldn't want them to experience such fun anyways.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fcksummer said:

LOL. For one storm. The only reason to bother with Cannon is A) free or cheap tix B) The Zoomer Bar.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

LOL. For one storm. The only reason to bother with Cannon is A) free or cheap tix B) The Zoomer Bar.

The Kitty is nice but most of the trails are pretty tame IMHO. I can't see driving another 45 - 60 minutes on a regular basis when I have to drive past Cannon.

Edited by Puck it

52 minutes ago, Puck it said:

The Kitty is nice but most of the trails are pretty tame IMHO. I can't see driving another 45 - 60 minutes on a regular basis when I have to drive past Cannon.

At least they have character!

5 hours ago, ABV said:

Looks like the 4 or 5 triple bags in the parking lot before 10am caused you to forget who introduced you to the cat!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fcksummer said:

Looks like the 4 or 5 triple bags in the parking lot before 10am caused you to forget who introduced you to the cat!  

Nope not at all !

4 hours ago, Flying Yeti said:

I keep hearing about this Zoomer Bar.  Where is it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flying Yeti said:

But really surprised that Cannon did so much better than Wildcat, was definitely due to the initial part of the storm. 

It was due to the second half of the storm, Cannon got screwed during the initial setup due to wind direction. Once the winds swung around, Cannon cranked it up. Before Cannon opened on Wednesday, there was considerably more snow to the south of Cannon.

Cannon and Wildcat do better with different storm setups, they have very different aspects and nearly by topography features. Ideal for Cannon is E/NE wind and S wind is game over. A Gulf of Maine bomb often means Cannon gets the most in the northeast. I am not as familiar with Wildcat's specifics but I often find that a big storm at Cannon doesn't necessarily mean a big storm at Wildcat and vice versa. Loon seemed to do well with this system, they do well with the southerly to northeast swing. So they picked up snow at the start of the storm that Cannon didn't get and then kept it cranking.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Flying Yeti said:

Wildcat is hands-down the best one-lift ski area in NH. 

• Like 1

We are out to Jan 11, but still seems worthy to be reporting conditions from the 7-9 storm since it still really hasn't stopped snowing. 

Cannon today. ~5 degrees. Breezy at the summit, but not lower down.  Tough vizibility from combo of cold-fog and snowmaking. Main trail are fairly skied-off and/or windblown although there is still plenty of soft stuff to turn on.  Some trees are tracked, some are untouched.  

It certainly wasn't' a day for everyone....I hear it was sunny at some other NH Mtns. 

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

C3.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Catherine said:

I keep hearing about this Zoomer Bar.  Where is it?

All are welcome just send us a PM when you will be at Cannon.  Warmer days are better.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flying Yeti said:

At least they have character!

Yeah they do just like Cannons old trails but it is like Alta.  Snowbird is better.