Heading north for the next week and half.  Hoping to see the fat bike trails in good shape.  PRKR has been posting a lot of good pics and they seem to be busting ass on the grooming. 

First (legit) ride in over 5 weeks. Mass is slowly thawing out and drying out. My local trails tend to be ahead of the curve on both of those counts since they are close to the coast and very sandy. Still a little bit of snow and ice, but not much mud. I stayed off the north facing hills which I knew would be too icy, and stayed off the few mud-prone valleys. This was about the worst section we got into on a 6 mile ride.
IMG_20190319_124456254.jpeg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Mass is slowly thawing out and drying out.

I'm afraid we're fast approaching mud season up here. Good news is that Highland opens in about a month (April 25)!

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:
On 3/19/2019 at 7:21 PM, Benski said:
I rode today, I am in Westchester now for spring break.

Florida? Maryland? New York? Lots of Westchesters. Which one, and how are conditions?

New York. I did not know there were others, outside of West Chester PA and Westchester NY

New York. I did not know there were others, outside of West Chester PA and Westchester NY
Yup, lots of Westchesters. NY is definitely the most well known but since you said Spring Break I was wondering if you meant something South.
So anyway, how are trail conditions in Westchester, NY?

Yup, lots of Westchesters. NY is definitely the most well known but since you said Spring Break I was wondering if you meant something South.
So anyway, how are trail conditions in Westchester, NY?

Some good, some still defrosting/drying out.

Great ride tonight. It was about 40 degrees, but really had the feel of spring. The trails were >99% free of snow and ice. I only rode one tiny patch. The windy weekend brought a few branches and trees down. I cleared 3 and will need tools for a 4th. But overall things were surprisingly good for the time of year.
I got a little cocky about how late it stays light out these days. Finished in almost total darkness and didn't have my lights. Live and learn...
IMG_20190325_194933_742.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

It was about 40 degrees, but really had the feel of spring. The trails were >99% free of snow and ice.

We still have quite a bit of snow and ice in the woods around here, and we should have a couple more mornings where things will be frozen enough to ride. After that, I think it's going to get sloppy. The forecast is calling for temperatures staying above freezing Thursday through Sunday.

Duxbury Town Forest. 37 degrees. In 8 miles I only came across one small patch of ice/snow and one small patch of mud.  This is a spot that doesn't ride that well when wet because of the non-stop roots. So it's great to see dry, fantastic conditions in late March.

I road the north facing slope overlooking Binghamton yesterday, Its was still a little too muddy, and I cut it short.

Kind of using this thread as a long term journal of conditions. Could be useful for looking back and seeing how things shape up year to year.

4/2/2018.  Marshfield, MA.  50 degree. Trails completely snow & ice free. 99% dry.  Ticks starting to show up. 

The good news is that the trails are on excellent shape. Almost mid-summer conditions. The bad news is that now there are no excuses to go slow. Thought I was going to puke dragging my fat ass up and down these climbs. Time for that spring diet. 

I definitely need to think about heading south. There's still a lot of snow in the woods here, but it is going fast with these temperatures. Even so, I'd say we're at least a month away. My car looks like it's been through a mud bog, but it's from driving home each afternoon.