Sign in to follow this  
Smellytele

Cannon 1/9/19

Great day once I got there with 2 of my sons and 1 of their friends. The drive was slow above exit 23. Started skiing around 9:20. Snow came down all day. Started at the top and got fresh on Profile. Hit vista way next and that was great as well.  Skied upper Cannon and also lost boy glade and go green which both skied very well. Taft was in great shape in the morning as well. From Taft hit Hard scrabble which had some obstacles under the snow but mostly was fine. Back up the detachable skied the old lift line to skirt over to the front five. The snow on the front five was a little sticky in the morning so after taking only a couple of runs (zoomer lift line and zoomer) met up with some friends and headed over to Mittersill and ducked ropes to ski a powdery Cannonball but then made a mistake and went into the Golden Birches Glade which was very thin. No damage done. Skied Baron's and then had lunch. After Lunch went back to the top. The wind had picked up and visibility decrease so headed into Lost Boys and another run through Go Green to get out of the wind. Back to the front five and the snow had dried out as it had gotten colder. No ice but it got more powdery. Skied Whiskey towne and Echo glades the latter being the nicer of the 2. Was going to go back to the top for a top to bottom run to end the day but the cannonball was by then (3:15) was on windhold so ended up ending on lower hardscrabble into The Creek glade which skied nice onto Middle and out on Red Ball. A beer in the bar and then home to take my 2 race runs at Crotched.

• Like 1

Nice report! I chose loon in the morning because of the road conditions. But then when I finally went to Cannon around noon I got stuck in the Notch for 45min anyway! I should have just sucked it up and gone in the morning.
I heard Crotched had "slightly" different conditions than Cannon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

6 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Nice report! I chose loon in the morning because of the road conditions. But then when I finally went to Cannon around noon I got stuck in the Notch for 45min anyway! I should have just sucked it up and gone in the morning.
I heard Crotched had "slightly" different conditions than Cannon.

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

They actually did a good job with the race course itself but getting to the course was a little "fast".

Thanks for this!  We'll be there this weekend, but I'm thinking our time on the mountain will be limited due to the very cold temps...

11 minutes ago, SkiMom said:

Thanks for this!  We'll be there this weekend, but I'm thinking our time on the mountain will be limited due to the very cold temps...

I think I'll be going with a some combination of my sons on Saturday. Wind looks high with a high of 7 so I'll keep an eye on that before making my final decision.

Sunday supposed to be x-country skiing with the wife at Waterville.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Ouch, I saw that northbound issue in the notch when I left Cannon heading southbound. Two trucks got stuck in the snow, by the looks of things.

In the morning, I-93 was about as bad as it gets from where I got on at exit 25 up to Lincoln. Driving got considerably easier when I got to the notch. But of course, it started snowing harder in the notch as the day went on so the situation was reversed heading south after leaving Cannon.

Fabulous day at Cannon. Lots of folks heading right for the woods when you could get untracked turns all over the place on the trails. I don't understand that mentality. I'm in the trees most of the time hunting for powder, I get it. But half a foot of untracked over groomed is one of my all time favorite snow conditions because it is such a rare treat and usually goes so fast. Light traffic to start meant lap after lap on the upper mountain and it was pure gold. Later in the day, Banshee area was still sporting untracked lines top to bottom after noon. I was fine lapping the piss out of that after the rest of the mountain was tracked out.

12 hours ago, thesnowway said:

Lots of folks heading right for the woods when you could get untracked turns all over the place on the trails. I don't understand that mentality. I'm in the trees most of the time hunting for powder, I get it. But half a foot of untracked over groomed is one of my all time favorite snow conditions because it is such a rare treat and usually goes so fast. 

Absolutely!  I love riding in the trees. But I'll always first take advantage of open powder for the rare and limited times its available.