Sign in to follow this  
Weatherman

Roll Call - Jan 11-13, 2019

Sugarbush - Saturday, 1/12

MRG - Sunday, 1/13

I'm staying at the Mad River Barn this weekend with the wife. Hit me up if anyone is around.

Cannon on Saturday

Cannon or Bretton Woods on Sunday (depending on wind and conditions and my desire to ski trees, as I'm too chicken for most of Cannon's glades 😢)

First post here...

Skiing magic for the first time 1/12 and 1/13. Where's the best place to watch the football games? 

Edited by joeapes_syf
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, joeapes_syf said:

First post here...

Skiing magic for the first time 1/12 and 1/13. Where's the best place to watch the football games? 

Welcome. Not sure about how it is for watching the game but the Magic bar is really nice. Good beer selection. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SkiMom said:

Cannon on Saturday

Cannon or Bretton Woods on Sunday (depending on wind and conditions and my desire to ski trees, as I'm too chicken for most of Cannon's glades 😢)

upper glades are in great shape but they are tight. Echo woods and Lake view aren't too tough.  Whisky Towne has a lot of weird off camber stuff down through the stream.

Still can't figure out how to get into the snowmaker's glade. Seem blocked off by race fencing. They are Blue so they might be even easier.

Mid mountain was are tight as well - The Creek, Mushroom and Amazon

48 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

upper glades are in great shape but they are tight. Echo woods and Lake view aren't too tough.  Whisky Towne has a lot of weird off camber stuff down through the stream.

Still can't figure out how to get into the snowmaker's glade. Seem blocked off by race fencing. They are Blue so they might be even easier.

I tried Candyland (I think) over on Mittersill last year (not sure...we went in from the top of the T-bar) and didn't love it.  In early December the kids (and husband) convinced me to do the Go Green Glade.  The conditions were great, but it was too tight for my liking.  I've been wanting to try the snowmaker's glade, but like you, can't seem to figure out how to get there!

1 hour ago, fcksummer said:

Welcome. Not sure about how it is for watching the game but the Magic bar is really nice. Good beer selection. 

Black line tavern is Awesome !!

Just now, ABV said:

Black line tavern is Awesome !!

Yeah, the bar is the single greatest attribute of Magic. I get bar envy when I visit. Lift envy not so much.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SkiMom said:

I tried Candyland (I think) over on Mittersill last year (not sure...we went in from the top of the T-bar) and didn't love it.  In early December the kids (and husband) convinced me to do the Go Green Glade.  The conditions were great, but it was too tight for my liking.  I've been wanting to try the snowmaker's glade, but like you, can't seem to figure out how to get there!

Try one of the front ones I mentioned. They are much more forgiving. They have more than one way down through them the whole way unlike the upper ones that tend to have large sections were it is only one turn (half turn really) wide.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Smellytele said:

7 hours ago, SkiMom said:

As @Smellytele said, upper mountain glades are tight.  Go Green is probably tightest & steepest so you didn't do yourself any favors there.  Lost Boys is the easiest of the upper mtn glades but is still very tight by other mtn's standards.  It's accessible off the left side of Upper Cannon.  It's surprisingly far down the trail so you always feel like you missed it, but it's fairly obvious. You can see the top of the Peabody when you are at the entrance.  They have cut a bunch of new stuff above that (Upper Lost boys??) that is also accessible off of Upper Cannon at ~ the 2nd turn.  It's tighter than Lost Boys-proper so I don't recommend it if you aren't comfortable with the tighter stuff. 

Snowmaker's is accessed off of the beginning of Time Zone. There isn't a well defined entrance and has been recently obscured by race fencing.  Today I went in a little high in order to avoid the fencing.  It's a nice low-angle, well-spaced glade which makes it easier.  However, it has a very boney base compared to other lower mtn glades.  Where you might feel a bit of wood underneath on the other ones, Snowmaker's will have pointy granite!  It can be a base killer and can trip you up pretty bad. I found untracked lines in there today, but I also hit a lot of stuff.  Also, keep in mind that it dumps you out on the access road to Ernie's.  It requires a skate or walk back to Zoomer.  Nothing major, but it's not a direct-to-lift trail.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SkiMom said:

If Candyland was not to your liking, you're not really going to find much else at Cannon for trees that will be to your liking. I really don't even consider Candyland a glade. Though that area is better skied from the Skyline entrance. The T-bar entrance is just the consolation prize for exiting the trees above that cut in. That pitch can be ass more often than not.

Banshee Glade are pretty low angle and mellow. Turnpike for what that thing is worth. The trees escalate quickly from there. Bretton is the way to go for learning to ski glades, they have lots of easier and wider options with less pitch.

Edited by thesnowway
  • Like 1