Thoughts on Subaru Crosstrek VS a Jeep Wrangler. I am talking about going skiing during this next storm with the owner of a Wrangler, so I am not sure which one is best to take. Both have all weather tires. Subaru has AWD vs the Jeep has 4WD. The Jeep is 1000 pounds heaver, but the AWD should help the Subaru.

Choose whichever is more comfortable or has the better stereo, etc. The vehicles themselves are a wash. They're both equally mediocre due to non winter specific tires. If both had winter tires then they'd be equally excellent.

15 hours ago, Benski said:

Thoughts on Subaru Crosstrek VS a Jeep Wrangler. I am talking about going skiing during this next storm with the owner of a Wrangler, so I am not sure which one is best to take. Both have all weather tires. Subaru has AWD vs the Jeep has 4WD. The Jeep is 1000 pounds heaver, but the AWD should help the Subaru.

If it's short-ish drive in deep-ish snow I'd take the Jeep and keep it in 4WD.  If it's a longer highway drive I'd take the Subie.  

If it's short-ish drive in deep-ish snow I'd take the Jeep and keep it in 4WD.  If it's a longer highway drive I'd take the Subie.  

If the Jeep is the kind of 4wd system that's not designed for full time road use (which on further thought it probably is) then I completely agree with this.

On 2/11/2019 at 3:14 PM, SkiingInABlueDream said:

If the Jeep is the kind of 4wd system that's not designed for full time road use (which on further thought it probably is) then I completely agree with this.

If you're staying on pavement there is not much difference in the drivelines. Ground clearance on both is respectable. The suspension makes a much more pleasant ride on the Crosstrek. Both are slow and loud inside so equal demerits. Slow and loud really are the best adjectives for the Crosstrek.

If you're staying on pavement there is not much difference in the drivelines. Ground clearance on both is respectable. The suspension makes a much more pleasant ride on the Crosstrek. Both are slow and loud inside so equal demerits. Slow and loud really are the best adjectives for the Crosstrek.

Unless the Wrangler doesn't have a transfer case 4wd system anymore, or, the Subaru does have that (and pigs fly now ), I disagree about there being not much difference between those vehicles' drivetrains.

1 hour ago, SkiingInABlueDream said:

Unless the Wrangler doesn't have a transfer case 4wd system anymore, or, the Subaru does have that (and pigs fly now emoji1.png), I disagree about there being not much difference between those vehicles' drivetrains.

For on-pavement use? The details are not important. Sure the locking diff is important off the pavement, but you're not going to notice driving on highways.

For on-pavement use? The details are not important. Sure the locking diff is important off the pavement, but you're not going to notice driving on highways.

What I'm saying is that any 4wd system that uses a transfer case shouldn't be driven on dry pavement. The reason is the transfer case isn't a differential; it can't handle speed differences between the front and rear axles. I'm assuming the Wrangler would have a transfer case 4wd system and the Subaru will have some AWD system that IS dry pavement friendly. This is an important difference. A transfer case system would be fine on slippery/snow covered roads, but I wouldnt assume roads would remain snowy for an entire day trip. If you find dry pavement you have to remember to switch the system out of 4wd mode.

With a Subaru you don't have to think about any of that stuff.

39 minutes ago, SkiingInABlueDream said:

What I'm saying is that any 4wd system that uses a transfer case shouldn't be driven on dry pavement. The reason is the transfer case isn't a differential; it can't handle speed differences between the front and rear axles. I'm assuming the Wrangler would have a transfer case 4wd system and the Subaru will have some AWD system that IS dry pavement friendly. This is an important difference. A transfer case system would be fine on slippery/snow covered roads, but I wouldnt assume roads would remain snowy for an entire day trip. If you find dry pavement you have to remember to switch the system out of 4wd mode.

Yeah, so Jeep offers three different 4x4 systems. It depends how that specific vehicle was optioned. An open question. For example, my Silverado has a transfer case system that can also operate in automatic mode. So I have 2-High, Auto, 4-High, 4-Low. And the rear differential is automatic locking too, not just limited slip. But that auto locking rear diff is not standard either. Really depends on how much you are willing to spend.

So, in summary, what I said previously.....

"If it's short-ish drive in deep-ish snow I'd take the Jeep and keep it in 4WD.  If it's a longer highway drive I'd take the Subie. "

20 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

So, in summary, what I said previously.....

"If it's short-ish drive in deep-ish snow I'd take the Jeep and keep it in 4WD.  If it's a longer highway drive I'd take the Subie. "

This decision proved a bit more set in stone, because the girl with the Jeep, is deeply attached to it. But now I am convinced this the Subie is a just as good of a car, despite I think being $10,000 cheaper.