Smellytele

MLK weekend snow?

30 minutes ago, Benski said:

Also weatherman. Don’t be afraid to post a blog post when your not confident. I think that’s when blog posts are most valuable.

It cannot be any worse than some of the asshats out there on social media saying "Blizzard of 78!" and casting via euro kuchera maps. 

BTW - THIS IS NOT HAPPENING

image.png

A little early to pinpoint the freezing rain line but that stretch from Hartford to the North Shore would be a nightmare.

Edited by Flying Yeti

Regarding icing, this is an interesting table that I found....from what I can see with the wind seems most of SNE that gets the ice would fall in the 1-2 Index

IMG_20190117_085020.jpg.aad188dbaea58dee1461fe613da7c763.jpg

55 minutes ago, xwhaler said:

Regarding icing, this is an interesting table that I found....from what I can see with the wind seems most of SNE that gets the ice would fall in the 1-2 Index

IMG_20190117_085020.jpg.aad188dbaea58dee1461fe613da7c763.jpg

I have seen a level 5 aftermath in upstate NY.  I think it was the late 90's or early 2000's  Eastern Ontario and Quebec were hit harder but travelling thru northern VT and NY in the spring looked liked a tornado had hit across that whole area.  Trees were just trunks. No limbs.

Edited by Puck it

1 minute ago, Flying Yeti said:

Then this comes in lol. Inches of sleet for south of the MA/NH/VT border.

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

It's still too early to be talking about details on the mixed bag along the coastal front. The potential is there for heavy icing. Or two feet of snow. The thermal profile will be telling. I'll take a fresh look this afternoon and post something.

12 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

The NWS snowfall maps look about right. We're about what I was expecting yesterday. Back down to Earth.

I'm thinking the 18-24"+ spots are too heavy for  Mass and SVT. I'd scale that way down to 14-16" (maybe an isolated 18-20" in that typical Woodford, VT area. The NH/ME map seems spot on.

This might effect people’s ability to drive Monday which would mean my Tuesday classes, the first of the semester would be canceled.

Just now, Flying Yeti said:

I'm thinking the 18-24"+ spots are too heavy for  Mass and SVT. I'd scale that way down to 14-16" (maybe an isolated 18-20" in that typical Woodford, VT area. The NH/ME map seems spot on.

I agree. This storm is fairly progressive. It's hard to imagine that level of accumulation in such a widespread area. I'm happy to believe it in jackpot areas of mesoscale enhancement.

1 minute ago, Weatherman said:

It's still too early to be talking about details on the mixed bag along the coastal front. The potential is there for heavy icing. Or two feet of snow. The thermal profile will be telling. I'll take a fresh look this afternoon and post something.

You mean trying to find a 20-30 miles stretch of mixing for energy still in partially in the Pacific is too early? Nonsense! Post the kuchera maps and spread panic! Weather = entertainment not science these days.

1 minute ago, Flying Yeti said:

You mean trying to find a 20-30 miles stretch of mixing for energy still in partially in the Pacific is too early? Nonsense! Post the kuchera maps and spread panic! Weather = entertainment not science these days.

Fair enough. If I want to drive traffic to this site, I need to be hyperbolic. Unfortunately I suffer the curse of being an educated professional.

1 minute ago, Weatherman said:

Fair enough. If I want to drive traffic to this site, I need to be hyperbolic. Unfortunately I suffer the curse of being an educated professional.

Where weather meets Fox News. A 3'+ jackpot in Fitchburg lol

image.thumb.png.5a02cd848e6862bc3c72903ec6eb8822.png

• Like 1

I sincerely hope to come back here in 4 days after Fitchburg has gotten 40" of snow and  give you sh*t  for not believing in the Snowmagedon maps!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1