Sign in to follow this  
fcksummer

Taos Avalanche

One casualty. https://taosnews.com/stories/avalanche-buries-multiple-people-on-kachina-peak,54548 

"According to a press release from the ski resort, which is one of the largest in Northern New Mexico, an "inbounds avalanche" occurred in chute "K3" just before noon, burying the two skiers near the 12,481-foot peak.

The Kachina Peak Ski Valley lift, which provides easy access to expert terrain at the mountain's peak, opened this season on Jan. 15. It was built in 2015, providing access to sections of the mountain which were previously only accessible on foot.

Chris Stagg, vice president of public relations at the resort, said members of the Taos ski patrol team had detonated explosives in the area of Kachina Peak early Thursday morning in an effort to reduce the risk of an avalanche.

Signs are posted to warn skiers and snowboarders that the terrain around Kachina Peak can be dangerous, he said, but no special equipment, such as a beacon that can be used to locate avalanche victims, is required to ride the lift to reach it. "

On 1/18/2019 at 10:07 PM, Benski said:

Win said on Alpine Zone they only got a few inches. He was surprised the even needed avi patrol.

Not always just the new snow that creates increased avalanche hazards.  Could have been a wind loaded slab issue, subsurface slide layer that just needed a bit more weight to release, etc.  If it was easy to predict slides, no one would die in the Backcountry.

Not always just the new snow that creates increased avalanche hazards.  Could have been a wind loaded slab issue, subsurface slide layer that just needed a bit more weight to release, etc.  If it was easy to predict slides, no one would die in the Backcountry.

Forget backcountry. People die inbounds. Just a couple weeks ago someone died inbounds all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

On 1/24/2019 at 10:53 PM, Weatherman said:

Forget backcountry. People die inbounds. Just a couple weeks ago someone died inbounds all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

No crap Sherlock, the inbounds slide is what I was commenting on.

Edited by Machski

I was skiing at TSV last week.  Slide happened as I was arriving at Albuquerque airport.  The avalanche debris was very obvious riding up Lift 4 when it opened on Sat afternoon.  My instructor commented on Friday that he hadn't seen any back country tracks since the avalanche.

The other young man who died was from Massachusetts. He was on vacation with his father and was an expert skier who started skiing at age 4.  

https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico/skier-killed-in-taos-avalanche-identified-witnesses-describe-scene/1710465273