Sign in to follow this  
xwhaler

Roll Call Jan 25-27

20 minutes ago, xwhaler said:

Wednesday: Crotched (ARL)
Saturday: Ragged

Weather is not looking great this evening. Also knees are killing me after skiing 5 days in a row. May not make it tonight but may just for my 2 runs.

53 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Wednesday: Crotched (ARL)

Friday: King Pine (?)

Saturday: Attitash (EICSL race)

Sunday: open question... Bretton Woods? Shawnee Peak?

Love King Pine! Too bad the backside’s not lit for night skiing... 

6 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

I have to go up to Cannon tomorrow. I will report back on how the faired.

Good luck.  In Lincoln right now it's 35 and absolutely pouring.  It's cold enough that the trees and other surfaces are getting heavily glazed.  I'm going out in a minute to shovel off my roof because I'm worried about how saturated it's getting. Should have done it when it was fluffy but I was lazy, now I'm going to pay for it. 

Edited by Cannonballer
  • Sad 1

I've got a hall pass for Sat and trying to decide where to go.  I'd rather not give up this opportunity and bite the bullet on conditions.  Thinking Sugarbush might be OK.  Would appreciate general forum thoughts on this and if there are any alternatives I should consider.

2 hours ago, kdaffy said:

I've got a hall pass for Sat and trying to decide where to go.  I'd rather not give up this opportunity and bite the bullet on conditions.  Thinking Sugarbush might be OK.  Would appreciate general forum thoughts on this and if there are any alternatives I should consider.

That depends...are you paying to ski? I'd personally think twice if I was paying (or using any form of pre-paid ticket such as a Quad pack or Ski VT ticket). I have a pass so I don't mind risking marginal conditions personally and plan to be there.

I think how well Sugarbush skis all depends on whether we get anything on the backend. Even 2 inches of snow would help groom into the surface and make it somewhat decent at least on the groomers. At the moment at least for Saturday I think it is going to be a "stick to the groomers" day as I expect natural terrain to be quite "technical" without new snow on it.

57 minutes ago, cdskier said:

That depends...are you paying to ski? I'd personally think twice if I was paying (or using any form of pre-paid ticket such as a Quad pack or Ski VT ticket). I have a pass so I don't mind risking marginal conditions personally and plan to be there.

I think how well Sugarbush skis all depends on whether we get anything on the backend. Even 2 inches of snow would help groom into the surface and make it somewhat decent at least on the groomers. At the moment at least for Saturday I think it is going to be a "stick to the groomers" day as I expect natural terrain to be quite "technical" without new snow on it.

Yeah I know there is a risk of this, but I'd rather go than not go.  The money isnt really an issue for me and I wont have many more of these opportunities this year, so I'm going to take advantage.  Jay Peak a better option?  I feel like Mad river valley and north is the best bet for sat.

3 hours ago, kdaffy said:

Yeah I know there is a risk of this, but I'd rather go than not go.  The money isnt really an issue for me and I wont have many more of these opportunities this year, so I'm going to take advantage.  Jay Peak a better option?  I feel like Mad river valley and north is the best bet for sat.

Can't speak to whether Jay is a better option. Maybe, maybe not. On the bright side, it does look like SB has maybe 2-3" of fresh so far at the summit and still snowing. Although by the time you get down to mid-mountain it looks like much less than that on the webcam. At least it is snowing all the way down to the base finally. Should help a bit no matter what.

Can't speak to whether Jay is a better option. Maybe, maybe not. On the bright side, it does look like SB has maybe 2-3" of fresh so far at the summit and still snowing. Although by the time you get down to mid-mountain it looks like much less than that on the webcam. At least it is snowing all the way down to the base finally. Should help a bit no matter what.

Jay is a poor option. They got rain too. And their snowmaking and grooming is second class.

As for me this weekend, Sunday is back on. Flight on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

Sunday is back in play. I don't know where I'm going though.

FYI, you guys may not hear a lot from me for the next few weeks. I'll be traveling more or less constantly for the next 3 weeks.