Sign in to follow this  
Smellytele

Cannon 1/19-22

Had a great 4 days of skiing at Cannon while staying at Mittersill.

Sat 1/19 just took 4 runs at Mittersill side by myself. Conditions were good before the storm. Skied ridgeline/Skyline/Dragons drop, Barron's and Liftline twice. Then did over 10k of X-country skiing at Bretton Woods with the wife.

Sun 1/20 - Powder and snowed all day. Started on the t-bar at mittersill with my 15 yo son as double was on hold. Then older son and wife met up with us and we all made our way to front 5 for a few runs then the cannonball opened (split with the wife as she didn't want to go to the top) and took some runs at the top and then headed down Kinsman to the tram. DJ's wasn't open yet but then it opened as we got to the Tram. It looked like mayhem. Body strewed out everywhere. The worst looked like just below the first tower. Decided not to do it and worked our way up the saddle instead and got shown the way down the backside (tuckerbrook) and back to the Mittersill village to have lunch and a few beers at the condo. We had fresh up and over my knees down through the river bed. After lunch (wife was done for the day)took a few runs at Mittersill and worked our way back to Cannon and to the top. Skied the top glades - go green and global warming which were incredible then finished out the day with another awesome run off the saddle back to Mittersill. Took a little different route and before the river bed cut right into the glades and hit the traverse closer to the road. Got out around 4:15. I want to thank the guys who showed us the way in and back.

Mon - 1/21 - Wife stayed in as the cold and wind was pretty brutal. Cannonball and Peabody never opened but the tram was open to get you to the top. Took it some what easy for the day but did get first chair at Mittersill and skied lift line, candy land as well as skyline and baron's at mittersill before getting over to the front five and hitting up the tram (skied lost boys) . Skied until 2 and then decided to go in to the condo and have lunch and then called it a day.

Tues 1//22 - Kids went home Monday night so the wife and I skied. I got out around 9:30 and I skied on Mittersill. She came out around 10:15. Hit the Mittersill, front five. The Cannon ball wasn't running but they opened the tram which I haven't seen open on a Tuesday in a long time. The wind was hollowing at the top so only did the one tram run and then a few runs on the Peabody which I never really take runsoff and just use a transportation to get to Cannonball and Zoomer. Went in for lunch then came back out and took 3 runs off the double and called it a day around 3:15.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Extending your great report by one day.  A couple shots of conditions on 1/23....

IMG_20190123_131304158_BURST004.jpg

Lovely photo! Do you mind sharing which glade this is of? Totally understand if you don't want to share here publicly. 

Lovely photo! Do you mind sharing which glade this is of? Totally understand if you don't want to share here publicly. 

That’s what the For Your Eyes Only subforum is for. It’s only visible to active members.

For those who missed the hidden meaning, “For Your Eyes Only” is a James Bond movie with a significant ski component, filmed in Cortina d’Ampezzo. Consider it the precursor to Spectre.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

That’s what the For Your Eyes Only subforum is for. It’s only visible to active members.

For those who missed the hidden meaning, “For Your Eyes Only” is a James Bond movie with a significant ski component, filmed in Cortina d’Ampezzo. Consider it the precursor to Spectre.

That's a good reminder of that cool forum feature. I'll have to remember to use that. In this case it was a marked glade, so no real secret.

15 hours ago, Weatherman said:

That's awesome, I didn't realize that this feature was on. Love it. Thank you Cannonballer

Today at Cannon was not kick ass. The top had a wind blown crust on the edges but when it got skied up was okay. Lots of the normal ice spots. Lost boy glade had good snow but needed breaking up. Lower mtn was okay but dust on crust. Weird chunks under 2 inches of nice powder

Edited by Smellytele
  • Like 2