Sign in to follow this  
fcksummer

February - General Weather Thread

Ugghhh. I'm headed to Jay this weekend and today's snow report clearly spells out the damage. 22 of 81 trails open, groomers only. "firmer side of firm".  All glades closed. And this is after they declared last weekend the best skiing of the season.

Stoopid weather. 😡

Anyone have any thoughts on this Tuesday-Wednesday storm. Looks like it could be good or get topped off with sleet, then rain in the Catskills but they could get a foot and ADK looks like its in good shape. A real mix in Binghamton. Other than Cornhead I probably need snow in Binghamton to get the 2 girls I just met free to ski Wednesday.

13 hours ago, Benski said:

Anyone have any thoughts on this Tuesday-Wednesday storm. Looks like it could be good or get topped off with sleet, then rain in the Catskills but they could get a foot and ADK looks like its in good shape. A real mix in Binghamton. Other than Cornhead I probably need snow in Binghamton to get the 2 girls I just met free to ski Wednesday.

Is @Weatherman still on vacation? Where is he when we need him 😅! Hopefully we will have a better picture of what the storm looks like tomorrow. 

10 hours ago, GrewUpSkiingWachusett said:

Is @Weatherman still on vacation? Where is he when we need him 😅! Hopefully we will have a better picture of what the storm looks like tomorrow. 

I think your rite. I might was able to get an invitation from a girl to ski Greek Peak, Wednesday afternoon, I suggested a change for Tuesday due to snow, since it might rain on the back end at that mountain.

Seems like the north country forecasts are all snow for this Tues-Weds storm. The problem will be the warm up later in the week (again). Saturday's storm could be a mixed bag.

1 hour ago, MassNerd said:

Seems like the north country forecasts are all snow for this Tues-Weds storm. The problem will be the warm up later in the week (again). Saturday's storm could be a mixed bag.

Well NAM doesn't look great for Wed , FV3-GFS does though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smellytele said:

Well NAM doesn't look great for Wed , FV3-GFS does though

MWV and western Maine are both on the border on a bunch of model runs. Some sleet on top of 6-8" of snow is still fine by me though compared to what we've had. Going somewhere on Wednesday, just got to decide where now.

Sleet mostly only to the south.  Whites all looking pretty good

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible, with mixed precipitation possible
south of the White Mountains. Total snow accumulations of 6 to
10 inches and ice accumulations of a light glaze possible.

* WHERE...Portions of central, northern and southern New
Hampshire.

-----

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 8 to
12 inches possible.

* WHERE...Portions of south central, west central and western
Maine.

StormTotalIceFcst.jpg

StormTotalSnow.jpg

• Like 1

Forecast holding steady. Looking like 6-10" through the northern Whites. Possible mxd prcp South and West. Winds a potential issue everywhere.

Who's hitting it and where? I'm planning Cannon with a back up of Loon for winds.

The next weather hurdle to clear is Friday's warmup and the accompanying storm.  Glad to see the forecasts have trended cooler than the were a couple days ago, but still could get some mixed precip on the mountains.

3 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Forecast holding steady. Looking like 6-10" through the northern Whites. Possible mxd prcp South and West. Winds a potential issue everywhere.

Who's hitting it and where? I'm planning Cannon with a back up of Loon for winds.

I've been debating the same, think I am going to end up at Loon based on current wind forecast.  First full day without my kids (who just started this year).  I'm psyched!

I've been debating the same, think I am going to end up at Loon based on current wind forecast.  First full day without my kids (who just started this year).  I'm psyched!

Screaming wind in Lincoln right now. Couple inches so far. Hard to tell exactly how much with the drifting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

At Sunday River now. A good bit down and it's dumping. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 11:58 AM, GrewUpSkiingWachusett said:

I just got back last night. I'm still working through my backlog. I know I owe a trip report.

This weekend looks like nice weather. I'll be heading up on Friday, probably as soon as I am caught up with everything.

• Like 1

Will write up a full report tonight, but Sunday River delivered. It was sleet for about an hour (9-10) and it was crusty to start, but it switched back to snow and the crust was broken up and the day was amazing. Trees and everything on and off map in play. Really hope everything can survive this weekend.

They reported a foot and it was that deep in parts. I'd have guessed 10" maybe. Still plenty to open everything up.

Will write up a full report tonight, but Sunday River delivered. It was sleet for about an hour (9-10) and it was crusty to start, but it switched back to snow and the crust was broken up and the day was amazing. Trees and everything on and off map in play. Really hope everything can survive this weekend.
They reported a foot and it was that deep in parts. I'd have guessed 10" maybe. Still plenty to open everything up.
Nice! Will attempt a Cannon report too, but basically the same story... questionable start leading into amazing day.
  • Like 2