Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I haven't been to Attitash/Bear Peak for a few years. The routine used to be Wildcat Saturday then Attitash/Bear Peak on Sunday. Once they labeled Illusion a blue square I didn't want to be there anymore, and in my opinion led to the decline (or at least decline in my mind) of the mountain. 

Now you get beginners on Illusion who don't belong there, experts end up on the easier trails doing high speed flybys past other beginners, all leading to a scraped off chaos. The skier social contract is broken there. 

Friends with little kids just learning to ski ask me "Attitash or Wildcat". I tell them WIldcat because the beginner area is mostly separated from the main mountain. On the Attitash side you have absolute beginners on the same trail as experts. I don't think anyone is happy in that situation. 

I'm happier at Wildat, so I guess that's just my 2 cents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the several hundred ski days on my peak pass over the years, the only times I have skiied attitash is when I stayed there. Have not once woken up and driven there, the formula is roughly wildcat if I have the whole day and it's not too cold, otherwise crotched. 

Paradoxically, we are looking to purchase a place in the mwv over the next couple of years and I keep coming back to attitash. Wildcat is my preferred mountain but it would be nice to be within walking distance for those days when you dont feel like driving. Main concern is the longterm viability of peaks and the no dogs rule at the attitash village. Would love to see some kind of expansion coupled with a lift improvement to put the place back in the game. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today we skied Attitash and the conditions were great.  They were blowing on Bear Peak so we didn’t go over.  It was cold but some friends decided to head over to Wildcat after racing.  Two runs over there and they were done.  Too cold.  I on the other hand had a full day at Attitash.  Love Wildcat but you need to pick your days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StraightSkis said:

I haven't been to Attitash/Bear Peak for a few years. The routine used to be Wildcat Saturday then Attitash/Bear Peak on Sunday. Once they labeled Illusion a blue square I didn't want to be there anymore, and in my opinion led to the decline (or at least decline in my mind) of the mountain. 

Now you get beginners on Illusion who don't belong there, experts end up on the easier trails doing high speed flybys past other beginners, all leading to a scraped off chaos. The skier social contract is broken there. 

Friends with little kids just learning to ski ask me "Attitash or Wildcat". I tell them WIldcat because the beginner area is mostly separated from the main mountain. On the Attitash side you have absolute beginners on the same trail as experts. I don't think anyone is happy in that situation. 

I'm happier at Wildat, so I guess that's just my 2 cents. 

This is sound advice. I send beginners to Wildcat too. They try to advertise Attitash as the family mountain, but for my money the opposite is true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StraightSkis said:

I haven't been to Attitash/Bear Peak for a few years. The routine used to be Wildcat Saturday then Attitash/Bear Peak on Sunday. Once they labeled Illusion a blue square I didn't want to be there anymore, and in my opinion led to the decline (or at least decline in my mind) of the mountain. 

Now you get beginners on Illusion who don't belong there, experts end up on the easier trails doing high speed flybys past other beginners, all leading to a scraped off chaos. The skier social contract is broken there. 

Friends with little kids just learning to ski ask me "Attitash or Wildcat". I tell them WIldcat because the beginner area is mostly separated from the main mountain. On the Attitash side you have absolute beginners on the same trail as experts. I don't think anyone is happy in that situation. 

I'm happier at Wildat, so I guess that's just my 2 cents. 

Thankfully I am a mid week skier.  Haven’t been to either mountain on a weekend  so the high speed flybys are a non issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what the turnout is for the night parties at Attitash? I like their efforts to entertain a younger crowd. As much as I enjoy skiing onto the lifts at Wildcat I like profitable mountains more. So anything they can do at Attitash/Wildcat to sell more tickets and beer is good by me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree and disagree with Tash being a beginner hill. I know the double/quad learning area is small and leads to the run-out of Humphrey's / Northwest Passage but it's the only area where they mix. There are plenty of places where there are inappropriate leveled skiers on trails they have no business being on, the Rocket at Crotched is a perfect example, upper lynx, South Bowl or Ridge, Perry Merrill, upper Cannon etc etc but yet they are there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Infinite Dreams said:

I agree and disagree with Tash being a beginner hill. I know the double/quad learning area is small and leads to the run-out of Humphrey's / Northwest Passage but it's the only area where they mix. There are plenty of places where there are inappropriate leveled skiers on trails they have no business being on, the Rocket at Crotched is a perfect example, upper lynx, South Bowl or Ridge, Perry Merrill, upper Cannon etc etc but yet they are there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app
 

Fully agree with you about the rocket. I often wonder how many people leave not only crotched but the sport when they find themselves on a bumped up moon walk sunday afternoon. Single greatest need at the crotch is a true beginner trail off the top, only option would require serious blasting and land aquisition, it will never happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should not be a surprise to anyone but the triple is down again. Drove by the base towards Bear at 925 and it was running. By the time we booted up and got back out ~945, there was a mass of bodies flying down under the triple headed to flying bear. Talked to at least a dozen people who said they are tired of the bullshit and probably won't be back next year. Can't say I blame them. I will be looking at different options for next year myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 7:48 PM, Infinite Dreams said:

Should not be a surprise to anyone but the triple is down again. Drove by the base towards Bear at 925 and it was running. By the time we booted up and got back out ~945, there was a mass of bodies flying down under the triple headed to flying bear. Talked to at least a dozen people who said they are tired of the bullshit and probably won't be back next year. Can't say I blame them. I will be looking at different options for next year myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app
 

Perhaps this is one factor as to why Wildcat has been super busy all season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to mention this in the triple thread, but it belongs here. Saturday was a disaster at Attitash. Triple was down so lift lines were long (for their standards). And worse yet, sewage had flooded the first floor. Apparently the bathrooms overflowed resulting in sewage spilling out and into other halls / rooms. It smelled accordingly.

If you had a sewage flood at home, you would probably rip up all of the flooring, baseboard, and drywall. Did they? Of course not. They cleaned the carpet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Attitashs season the biggest train wreck of a season ever or does the “winter” of 2016 even worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Benski said:

Is Attitashs season the biggest train wreck of a season ever or does the “winter” of 2016 even worse.

Probably Attitash's biggest trainwreck this year. Other resorts have done worse in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Mobile Apps available!

Please try our mobile apps for iOS and Android

×
×
  • Create New...