6 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Feb 8-10: screw the roller coaster. MTB in the dry flatlands.

I am thinking the same. 

Had planned to ski Cannon on Sat/Sun, but with the latest thaw/freeze cycle we may head to BW to avoid ice skating...

4 hours ago, SkiMom said:

Had planned to ski Cannon on Sat/Sun, but with the latest thaw/freeze cycle we may head to BW to avoid ice skating...

Cannon was horrible yesterday. Can't imagine what it will be like on Saturday.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, SkiingInABlueDream said:

you guys really think trails won't be just a cold wet mess after tomorrow?

Not on the south shore.  Only a little rain forecasted for Fri morning and the trails here drain fast.  Then sunny all weekend. Saturday = 34, Sunday = 39.  Pretty ideal actually. 

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

Not on the south shore.  Only a little rain forecasted for Fri morning and the trails here drain fast.  Then sunny all weekend. Saturday = 34, Sunday = 39.  Pretty ideal actually. 

Might be a little wet but most areas drain well.

2 hours ago, Smellytele said:

Ouch.  That may have made my decision.

2 hours ago, Smellytele said:

Well there you go.  Had been hoping for a 1st hand account.  Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Puck it said:

Ouch.  That may have made my decision.

The ice flows you could ski around but the macaron sized ice cookies on some trails sucked as did the scraped off hell all trails became after noon. My last run was down lower hard scrabble around 1:45 - you couldn't turn only drift from side to side. Front 5 were rough. The refreeze did a number on the place.

Edited by Smellytele

Any opinions on this weekend's outlook vs 2 weeks ago? I was at cannon that Saturday and everyone I talked to said it dumped rain the preceding Thursday. I was happy with the scratchy groomers that day, but I never saw ice flows or cookies.

And for South shore biking conditions.

1 hour ago, SkiingInABlueDream said:

Any opinions on this weekend's outlook vs 2 weeks ago? I was at cannon that Saturday and everyone I talked to said it dumped rain the preceding Thursday. I was happy with the scratchy groomers that day, but I never saw ice flows or cookies.

That's a great question.  It did rain really hard that Thursday (1/24) but it never got very warm. It was in the low 30s the whole time.  The rain actually didn't do that much to the snow pack, and the snow seemed to drain really well (maybe because it was still coldish??).  This week will be several days of rain and temps into the 40s.  Then teens for Saturday.  Will be interesting to see how it compares to that other event. 

I was there that Sunday and I did see ice flows above and just below the Peabody quad heading toward the cannonball quad. Yesterday the flows were just as bad if not worse. Also the refrozen stuff on the side was much worse yesterday. Then it has rained more and will rain more tomorrow before the flash refreeze. Timing of Grooming will be difficult. I am taking the weekend off except for maybe some skinning at Pats peak.

59 minutes ago, frapcap said:

Attitash on Sat if Cat is closed due to wind.

Wildcat just announced they are closed tomorrow.

I'm at Black on Saturday and then Wildcat Sunday. How does Black do with winds?

Their lifts are low and between the trees, well one is, so probably will fair well. I was there last week for the 8-10 they got and had a blast. Mostly short kinda steeps and longish groomers. Great little plaslce though.

Wildcat just announced they are closed tomorrow.
I'm at Black on Saturday and then Wildcat Sunday. How does Black do with winds?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Their lifts are low and between the trees, well one is, so probably will fair well. I was there last week for the 8-10 they got and had a blast. Mostly short kinda steeps and longish groomers. Great little plaslce though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Hoping the lifts spin tomorrow, sounds like they'll have a fighting chance. Never been to the place and meant to for years. A shame it's going to be on the heels of a been refreeze, but it is what it is.

• Like 1