Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Wildcat just announced that they won't be opening tomorrow due to forecasted winds and temps.  They have done that several (3-5?) times this season already.   Before any of the Wildcat regulars get their fur up, I'm not saying that this is a bad call and am not being critical at all.  Just a topic for conversation during crap weather!

This is fairly unusual, but is it a good thing or bad? Would you rather know in advance to not bother making the drive to your favorite resort?  Or would you rather hope that they would leave the door open for a change in conditions?   It seems obvious that Wildcat is quicker to make this decision since they can offer another nearby product at Attitash.  Would you rather your home mountain have a plan B even if means that they are quicker to cancel on Plan A?

I've never been in that situation, so it's a tough call for me.  The only multi-mountain passes I've had are like the White Mtn Superpass.  With that pass I liked the fact that if Cannon was on windhold I could go to Bretton Woods.  But it's a different scenario because the 2 resorts made their decisions independently of each other.  I'm not sure I'd be happy with Cannon being quick to pull the plug because they knew their passholders could go to Bretton Woods.  On the other hand, I've wasted a lot of good mornings waiting to find out if Cannon would open only to find out that they didn't. 

What other resorts have this same decision-making process?  During early-season Peaks does this to favor Wildcat over Attitash, and Boyne does it to favor SR over Loon, but I can't think of other mid-winter examples. 

Edit:  I should point out that tomorrow is not the best example of this conundrum since it is so clearly going to be garbage. But the theory still applies....

Edited by Cannonballer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Flying Yeti said:

Let's just wait and see what lifts Cannon spins tomorrow...

I'm guessing almost none.  Which is exactly the whole point of my long-winded post.  Is it better to just know in advance or make the call early.  If you wait and see it defeats the whole point of the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cannonballer said:

I'm guessing almost none.  Which is exactly the whole point of my long-winded post.  Is it better to just know in advance or make the call early.  If you wait and see it defeats the whole point of the question.

It was directed to the post below yours lol

 

I completely agree. I'd assume for attracting first timers/newbies, they would be more likely to make their way back and try another time than go and have a miserable experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

It was directed to the post below yours lol

 

I completely agree. I'd assume for attracting first timers/newbies, they would be more likely to make their way back and try another time than go and have a miserable experience.

Post below mine is irrelevant.  He's going to Florida.  I didn't ask "what would Matlock do??"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wildcat just announced that they won't be opening tomorrow due to forecasted winds and temps.  They have done that several (3-5?) times this season already.   Before any of the Wildcat regulars get their fur up, I'm not saying that this is a bad call and am not being critical at all.  Just a topic for conversation during crap weather!
This is fairly unusual, but is it a good thing or bad? Would you rather know in advance to not bother making the drive to your favorite resort?  Or would you rather hope that they would leave the door open for a change in conditions?   It seems obvious that Wildcat is quicker to make this decision since they can offer another nearby product at Attitash.  Would you rather your home mountain have a plan B even if means that they are quicker to cancel on Plan A?
I've never been in that situation, so it's a tough call for me.  The only multi-mountain passes I've had are like the White Mtn Superpass.  With that pass I liked the fact that if Cannon was on windhold I could go to Bretton Woods.  But it's a different scenario because the 2 resorts made their decisions independently of each other.  I'm not sure I'd be happy with Cannon being quick to pull the plug because they knew their passholders could go to Bretton Woods.  On the other hand, I've wasted a lot of good mornings waiting to find out if Cannon would open only to find out that they didn't. 
What other resorts have this same decision-making process?  During early-season Peaks does this to favor Wildcat over Attitash, and Boyne does it to favor SR over Loon, but I can't think of other mid-winter examples. 
Edit:  I should point out that tomorrow is not the best example of this conundrum since it is so clearly going to be garbage. But the theory still applies....

I like the advanced notice and the ability to hit another mountain on the peaks pass. Not only will they be less effected by wind but the grooming will be better as well so it’s a win for me. Obviously not for everyone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the advanced notice and the ability to hit another mountain on the peaks pass. Not only will they be less effected by wind but the grooming will be better as well so it’s a win for me. Obviously not for everyone
You could choose to hit attitash for their grooming or other reasons any day whether Wildcat is open or not. Do you consider it a win because it saves you from wondering about Wildcat or potentially attempting it and ending up wasting time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the above basically, having options based on weather, conditions and or grooming. Just having different terrain, learning new mountains.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flying Yeti said:

It was directed to the post below yours lol

 

I completely agree. I'd assume for attracting first timers/newbies, they would be more likely to make their way back and try another time than go and have a miserable experience.

 

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

Post below mine is irrelevant.  He's going to Florida.  I didn't ask "what would Matlock do??"

Image result for obama water gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flying Yeti said:

Let's just wait and see what lifts Cannon spins tomorrow...

But they will try to open at least.

IMG_0377.GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
But they will try to open at least.
IMG_0377.GIF.d15cdb0cb6bc9fb102dab5116991438e.GIF


Sure they’ll try is all about $$$

Either way it’s gonna be a glacier until it snows again !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ABV said:

Either way it’s gonna be a glacier until it snows again !

 

For sure. In fact, everywhere is gonna be a glacier until it snows again !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ABV said:

 


Sure they’ll try is all about $$$

Either way it’s gonna be a glacier until it snows again !

 

Like everywhere else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AhhKayyyy.... 

As I said in the OP this wasn't a knock on Wildcat or even specifically about them.  Just a question about mountains "in general" that announce closing in advance vs last minute.  And how much their corporate options play a role in that decision making.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The correct answer is an honest prediction on the afternoon and early morning report.

"We're expecting heavy winds and may not be able to run lifts but will make every attempt to open" or something along those lines. 

 

Throwing in the towel a day ahead seems kinda odd. What if winds aren't as bad as forecasted?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it a smart reason from a corporate standpoint, employer standpoint, and my own personal planning standpoint. 

As a corporation you can save money, avoid potentially dangerous conditions and insurance issues.

As an employer, the ski resort gives advance notice to employees which many may appreciate and much more importantly doesn't put its workers in dangerous and extremely unpleasant conditions.

As a skier I'm glad because I won't be sitting in the base lodge waiting for the Snowcat and Tomcat lifts to spin for 30 minutes then shut again.

I do wonder if Peaks would play this different if attitash wasn't down the road. I bet they would because otherwise they'd have to refund everyone's tickets. The shared ticket is a great tool they use frequently.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt I appreciate the early distant warning wrDj5XvZXX4 there is nothing worse than hauling your ass to a hill at 0Dark30 to find out 2 hours into a 3 3/4 hour ride that the hill in question will be closed.

This is definitely a very unique situation where people have the ability to slide just 30 miles down the road on the same pass/ticket but it doesn't happen often. I think it would be cool if BW would honor day tickets purchased at Cannon if Cannon closed for the day or maybe charging a $20 fee to ski. I know it would never happen but just a though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Let's just wait and see what lifts Cannon spins tomorrow...

Cannon doing better than expected this morning. Only tram and cannonball in hold.

 

Attitash = The Snowbelt is open. The Summit Triple, Flying Bear, Double Double Chair, Learning Center, Abenaki Quad and the Flying Yankee will be on wind hold to start the day.  The Kachina Triple will have a delayed opening.  

 

Wildcat closed obviously

 

Killington closed

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Cannon - Only tram and cannonball on hold.

East Side of Rock Pile= The Summit Triple, Flying Bear, Double Double Chair, Learning Center, Abenaki Quad, Flying Yankee, Kachina Triple, Wildcat Express Quad, Tomcat Triple, Bobcat Triple, Snowcat Triple, & Snowbelt on wind hold

Image result for binoculars gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Wildcat just announced that they won't be opening tomorrow due to forecasted winds and temps.  They have done that several (3-5?) times this season already.   Before any of the Wildcat regulars get their fur up, I'm not saying that this is a bad call and am not being critical at all.  Just a topic for conversation during crap weather!

This is fairly unusual, but is it a good thing or bad?

Definitely a good thing from my perspective.

I don't have a pass but have vouchers that can be used at a lot of different areas. I would rather know in advanced to avoid certain mountains rather than trying to guess and making a bad decision and sitting in the lodge playing the waiting game that almost inevitably results in no operations. Most mountains should have a strong history of which lifts run given certain wind direction and wind speed. Mountain Ops also know how long they are going to keep employees sitting in a lodge waiting for a go/no go decision before pulling the plug and sending everyone home.

If it is a boarderline call, make that clear in the snow report and give it a shot. But if there is essentially 0% of running, don't roll the dice on that 1% and make skiers waste hours driving to/from various mountains or sitting in a lodge waiting for the inevitable call.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Mobile Apps available!

Please try our mobile apps for iOS and Android

×