Had a great 5 hours at the Crotch today with the family. Didn't want to deal with the madness that is Vermont skiing on a Holiday so we decided to go to the hill less skied. I found fantastic coverage on everything except Jupiter's Storm (didn't ski it). Snowed the entire time we were there and they got around 2-3". Very edgable. Sorry but no pics. Even had a@Weatherman sighting in the bathroom as I was leaving.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Yeah, thought it was one of the better days this year. Woods off super nova that the kids call Sputnik were run of the day, solstice was well covered but very firm underneath, t bar line also well covered but the tree across the exit needs to be removed this summer. Gave little dipper a shot but ended up removing skis and hiking out at the stone wall. Did not try the forest or ledges but there were tracks in both. Saw one brave person in kuiper, needs about three more feet of snow.

Edited by thebigo
  • Like 1

That's great that the woods are skiing better. I was there Saturday afternoon and it was rough anywhere that was not solstice trail. Frozen toothpaste and sheet ice over any rock. 

Dont see a season thread, so will post this here. Crotch held up well today, only people there were the program kids and their parents. Good news, the agitators are still running, bad news brown is showing in the typical spots - moon walk and satellite.

News of the day is per a source in the mountain's employ that I would classify as mostly reliable, the mountain has abandoned their long run negotiations with the landowner on the Jupiter side. They instead are in the process of acquiring the land around the ledges and plan to begin construction on a true green trail winding around the ledges this summer.

I have hiked back there and cannot imagine how this will work but if true it is a game changer for the hill.

• Like 1

Dont see a season thread, so will post this here. Crotch held up well today, only people there were the program kids and their parents. Good news, the agitators are still running, bad news brown is showing in the typical spots - moon walk and satellite.
News of the day is per a source in the mountain's employ that I would classify as mostly reliable, the mountain has abandoned their long run negotiations with the landowner on the Jupiter side. They instead are in the process of acquiring the land around the ledges and plan to begin construction on a true green trail winding around the ledges this summer.
I have hiked back there and cannot imagine how this will work but if true it is a game changer for the hill.
That would be extremely interesting to see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

That would be extremely interesting to see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, that would definitely be interesting. I hope it comes with additional snowmaking water capacity. Because that pond is stretched thin already since the last expansion.

Moon Walk obviously gets totally beat up getting beginners/low intermediates off the top so I think they could use an easier/secondary route down.

I wonder how the west ledges would be impacted? It's too bad they couldn't do something off the east side beyond Jupiter's Storm. It would remove the Enchanted Forest glade but the pitch and construction costs probably easier to work with over there.

The stuff past Jupiter's needs a lot more snow because of all the rock ledges imo. East side expansion makes sense and they could drop a trail right off the back and connect it at the top of Velocity. Essentially the run out of the ledges. I imagine it would look like a Berkshire East trail map. 

51 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

The stuff past Jupiter's needs a lot more snow because of all the rock ledges imo. East side expansion makes sense and they could drop a trail right off the back and connect it at the top of Velocity. Essentially the run out of the ledges. I imagine it would look like a Berkshire East trail map. 

I'm kinda confused on what you are saying? East Side is the Jupiter's side and I think less ledgy than west....west side is obviously the ledges which would require a lot of blasting and/or snow.
Perhaps they go back behind the ledges and out and around to connect top of super nova or where the west double unloads. That would avoid having to blast the ledges and reduce skiable gladed terrain.

28 minutes ago, xwhaler said:

I'm kinda confused on what you are saying? East Side is the Jupiter's side and I think less ledgy than west....west side is obviously the ledges which would require a lot of blasting and/or snow.
Perhaps they go back behind the ledges and out and around to connect top of super nova or where the west double unloads. That would avoid having to blast the ledges and reduce skiable gladed terrain.

Yes I realize that now. The ledges are ledges but the wind and lack of tree cover assist in pounding snow into it. Its similar to the Canyon at Killington where one side (Royal Flush, East Fall, etc.) can have feet of fresh snow blown into it them during a 8-10" storm and the trails on the other side get a few inches. 

Best day of the year thus far at the crotch. Everything skiable, rotd was enchanted - soft turns over a solid base, perfect flow. Will post a bunch of pictures after putting kid to bed. Re upthread, bunch of surveyors tape in west ledges, possible the years of hard living have gotten to me but dont think it was there last time. 

Need that storm sunday to verify, another foot and Monday afternoon will change the season.

• Like 1