Sign in to follow this  
Jully

2019 Off-season Resort Improvements

The Loon improvements were already stated elsewhere, but figured we should have a general thread for changes (good or bad) this off-season.

I've only seen Loon announce so far recently (Okemo announced awhile ago).

https://www.loonmtn.com/press-releases/new-for-2019/20

DH Biking, snowmaking improvements (nothing substantial IMO), and the all season access pass).

https://www.okemo.com/press-room/vail-announces-okemo-upgrades/

New restaurant, other facelift upgrades.

Greek peak claims they are replacing there unusually important beginner hill lift with the old Windham summit Triple. Its in the terrain park right now, but the drive terminal is missing, so I guess that will be new. I doubt this is correct. They have had a history of inaccurate marketing, and the lift is much longer than needed, so there much longer, less reliable, and more decrepit, 1963 double is probably going to go first. The double is also very low to the ground, I think they closed their best trail natural snow trail permanently due to low clearance under that lift.

I'd guess Bretton Woods will be completing the Gondola (that was supposed to be in this winter) and building out the new summit lodge.

What I really wish they'd do is put in another HSQ to summit of Mt. Stickney and add more trails over there!

1 hour ago, SkiMom said:

I'd guess Bretton Woods will be completing the Gondola (that was supposed to be in this winter) and building out the new summit lodge.

What I really wish they'd do is put in another HSQ to summit of Mt. Stickney and add more trails over there!

They don't own the land over there. The current ski area is pushed up against their boundaries on all sides. Further expansion involves some lease or purchase agreements.

Killington may or may not replace the North Ridge Triple with a new LP Quad.  Also sounds like the new K1 lodge will be begun but this is a multi year project.  Will be built in the current drop off zone adjacent to the K1 gondola.  The current lodge will remain for next season.

Stratton announced theirs, nothing big.  So e snowmaking upgrades, big thing was paving and mountain biking there too.

Sunday River gets the racing program T-Bar on Monday Morning.  May or may not be open to public when all other upper mountain lifts are on wind hold 

Edited by Machski

10 minutes ago, Machski said:

Sunday River gets the racing program T-Bar on Monday Morning.  May or may not be open to public when all other upper mountain lifts are on wind hold 

Has Sunday River announced anything else yet? Or has anything else been rumored that you've heard of for this year beyond what is in their 5 year wish list (west side snowmaking pump, Barker replacement).

12 hours ago, Smellytele said:

Pico announced 2.1 mil in snow making improvements

That's big for them. Are they building out more coverage? Or just maintaining what they have?

5 hours ago, Weatherman said:

That's big for them. Are they building out more coverage? Or just maintaining what they have?

Features of the plan include a new water source that will eliminate Pico’s snowmaking water shortages, more than 26,000 feet of new and replacement snowmaking pipeline, and a new, additional pump in Pico’s pump house. Combined, these improvements will double the current snowmaking capacity.  

On 3/7/2019 at 8:50 PM, Jully said:

Has Sunday River announced anything else yet? Or has anything else been rumored that you've heard of for this year beyond what is in their 5 year wish list (west side snowmaking pump, Barker replacement).

Nope, haven't heard anything else.  Though they have already started the tree clearing for the T-Bar.  It is unfortunately running up skier's left and sounds like it may interfere or close permanently crossbow and tightwire.

In other news, they quietly moved up the closing date this season from April 28th to April 21st.  Can't wait to hear this explaination.

Edited by Machski
Discovery of earlier closing date
  • Like 1

Super frustrating for sure. Hope it doesn't impact the lift closing schedule in the weeks beforehand too.

Crossbow is my favorite cut trail on Barker. That's super upsetting.

Maybe it's an earlier closing date because they're replacing Barker and therefore need to close all those trails. I'd give that a 3% chance of happening though... They obviously could still run Locke instead of Barker anyway. 

On 3/11/2019 at 4:06 PM, Machski said:

In other news, they quietly moved up the closing date this season from April 28th to April 21st.  Can't wait to hear this explaination.

This is surprising considering the coverage they have!  But they are leaving the door open: "If conditions and weather support extending the season for an additional weekend, that decision will be made in April so check back here or follow our emails or social media for updates.  If we do extend the season, Ski Mania would move to Sunday, April 28."