Fixed your link.

Sad news. Anxious to hear what happened...police were called at 3:50. Always worry about the end of the ski day. Light is generally bad, tired, icy...lots of potential for accidents. 

Worst fear
I was at Sunday River today. Drove by Cannon at 7am and 3:30pm. The entire north country was blazing bluebird and warm-ish. Hard to believe it was related to conditions at all.

3 hours ago, fcksummer said:

Fixed your link.

Sad news. Anxious to hear what happened...police were called at 3:50. Always worry about the end of the ski day. Light is generally bad, tired, icy...lots of potential for accidents. 

On wmur they said the accident was at 2:45, wonder why so long for the police to be called ! and it was a pretty clear day, very unlike cannon and conditions were really good all day.

very sad news for sure

Sad. People ski with more confidence and therefore more aggressively in good condition, so more accidents due to recklessness.

https://www.wmur.com/article/massachusetts-men-identified-as-skiers-involved-in-deadly-collision-on-cannon-mountain/26770987

State Police have identified the two people involved in a deadly collision on Cannon Mountain Friday afternoon.

Investigators say 39-year-old Jeremy Keiran of Somerville, Mass., was skiing down the Profile Trail when he lost control and was thrown from his skis.

According to a news release, Keiran then continued to slide through a roped-off area, off an embankment and onto the Middle Ravine Trail where he collided with 48-year-old Robert Slocum of Newburyport, Mass.

State Police say Keiran was pronounced dead at the scene. Slocum was taken by ambulance to a local hospital with serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.

Edited by Smellytele

https://www.wmur.com/article/massachusetts-men-identified-as-skiers-involved-in-deadly-collision-on-cannon-mountain/26770987

State Police have identified the two people involved in a deadly collision on Cannon Mountain Friday afternoon.

Investigators say 39-year-old Jeremy Keiran of Somerville, Mass., was skiing down the Profile Trail when he lost control and was thrown from his skis.

According to a news release, Keiran then continued to slide through a roped-off area, off an embankment and onto the Middle Ravine Trail where he collided with 48-year-old Robert Slocum of Newburyport, Mass.

State Police say Keiran was pronounced dead at the scene. Slocum was taken by ambulance to a local hospital with serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.

That run is straight and pretty wide with de ent pitch. I think people get too confident. Any one of us could catch an edge or scrape out etc and have bad results. That must have been scary while sliding down. What were conditions like that day?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

That run is straight and pretty wide with de ent pitch. I think people get too confident. Any one of us could catch an edge or scrape out etc and have bad results. That must have been scary while sliding down. What were conditions like that day?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

It was a Beautiful day,sunny and relatively warm. Cannonball wasn’t running so traffic was limited on the upper mountain. Profile was hardly skied on and in great shape as was the rest of the mountain.

"Police say Keiran was skiing down the Profile Trail at Cannon when he lost control and was thrown from his skis. He slid through a roped-off area at the end of the trial, over an embankment, and then struck Slocum, was skiing on Middle Ravine."

Crazy...the odds of that situation have to be so low.

This is why I think ski areas are too cheap with the nets. Put them wherever nobody should cross and a slide under is not a crazy idea.

1 hour ago, Benski said:

This is why I think ski areas are too cheap with the nets. Put them wherever nobody should cross and a slide under is not a crazy idea.

Yup. There have been a few incidents at Cannon this year where netting might have helped.  A few weeks ago there was a crash at "the usual place".  This is a trail intersection where people frequently stop to meet.  There has been a long history of people flying off the trail here. The incident a few weeks ago was so bad that they had to extract the kid from the woods with ropes because he/she was so far off the trail.  Considering this is a well known crash point it sure wouldn't hurt to have a net. 

9 hours ago, fcksummer said:

Crazy...the odds of that situation have to be so low.

The skier had to have been skiing quite fast to carry moment over the embankment after crashing.

Then again, details are still quite limited, so who knows.

Are they still roping the bottom of Profile? I recall they had setup "slow down" roping near the lift in past years but I don't think it was too extensive. They might need to create an "experts only entrance" type roping setup to make people slow down sooner (i.e. funnel to a narrow exit point well before the flat area near the lift).

2 hours ago, thesnowway said:

The skier had to have been skiing quite fast to carry moment over the embankment after crashing.

Then again, details are still quite limited, so who knows.

Are they still roping the bottom of Profile? I recall they had setup "slow down" roping near the lift in past years but I don't think it was too extensive. They might need to create an "experts only entrance" type roping setup to make people slow down sooner (i.e. funnel to a narrow exit point well before the flat area near the lift).

Word around the bar was that the skier was quite large, 6'4 and about 280. Not sure how reliable the source of that was but that could have contributed to his momentum. 

They don't rope the bottom but have had a "Slow" sign in the middle. Can't remember if its still there. Probably a good idea to set up something like you and @ABV mentioned. He could have injured multiple people if there had been a line at the lift. People are usually lined up along that embankment too, waiting for other members of their group or dropping down into Middle Ravine. 

10 minutes ago, fcksummer said:

Word around the bar was that the skier was quite large, 6'4 and about 280. Not sure how reliable the source of that was but that could have contributed to his momentum. 

They don't rope the bottom but have had a "Slow" sign in the middle. Can't remember if its still there. Probably a good idea to set up something like you and @ABV mentioned. He could have injured multiple people if there had been a line at the lift. People are usually lined up along that embankment too, waiting for other members of their group or dropping down into Middle Ravine. 

I think there is short rope to keep from cutting the corner and people coming back to the lift from Ravine

3 minutes ago, Puck it said:

I think there is short rope to keep from cutting the corner and people coming back to the lift from Ravine

You're right. Barely visible in this photo but theres a rope from the gun on the left to roughly where the blue fence starts. Must have slid under it

vlcsnap-2019-03-11-20h17m42s335.png

14 hours ago, fcksummer said:

You're right. Barely visible in this photo but theres a rope from the gun on the left to roughly where the blue fence starts. Must have slid under it

vlcsnap-2019-03-11-20h17m42s335.png

Correct  used more to funnel then to stop an out of control skier. Also to keep people from flying through there upright colliding with skiers coming from the Ravine side and over the lip.

On another note bad place for those people to gathers 

Edited by Smellytele