Cannonballer

Conditions in the aftermath of 3/14

Edit: fixing dates in this post. Title should also say 3/15

I was going to post something in the Cannon thread, but I'm curious how it is everywhere else too.

Friday 3/15 Cannon was fully closed due to wind. It was also warm (high 40s), raining, and foggy. I thought things would be bad but not terrible. On Saturday 3/16 we showed up for first chair. Upper mountain was on delay because they were still grooming. Lower mountain had lost ~2’ of base (I don't think I'm exaggerating). Conditions were rough! The temp was dropping all morning so things weren't improving. Took a lot of breaks, drank a lot of beer, left early. Tried some XC skiing off the Kanc in the afternoon. Trails that were perfect yesterday were impossible today.

We took a big hit here. What did everyone else see?

Wildcat’s bar was excellent yesterday. I started off with a breakfast margarita followed by another and then three mugs of Switchback. Conditions were survivable but not fun. Ungroomed was an inch or two blown into shiny bumps.

Bretton Woods today is fast and firm.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

Sugarbush was great on 3/14. Soft snow all day. Very sticky on the flats.

Smuggs on 3/15 was fun and only had rain for 15 minutes. The rain was typhoon worthy though. Luckily i was in the lodge when it happened. Sun then came out and skied until 4. Some woods were in play and skied well. 

Stowe was pure frozen hell on 3/16. The worst skiing I have ever experienced.  Nothing to grip to turn on. Took 5 runs and started drinking. 

25 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

Stowe was pure frozen hell on 3/16. The worst skiing I have ever experienced.  Nothing to grip to turn on. Took 5 runs and started drinking. 

Pretty much sums up yesterday, so glad We hit up Killington on Wednesday !

Cannon was a mess on Saturday, which was only made worse by unusually large crowds (or maybe that was just a result of the upper mountain being closed). We left at lunch.

Sunday it skied like a totally different mountain. The snow was great, and there was even a little powder on the upper mountain. Let’s hope it stays like that for a few more weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wow! Sounds like a great weekend to skip skiing if there had to be one. Ended up with a beautiful day down in Southie for the parade. Gave out a lot of high fives to the runners and enjoyed a few beers. 

IMG_8736.thumb.jpg.507feeb4b94b73ff26c8867daaf667c7.jpgIMG_8717.thumb.jpg.a0f0a70b13011aade180058b0b8d9278.jpgIMG_8739.thumb.jpg.a0813332affde8dcfe6306e37c87bd2b.jpgIMG_8741.thumb.jpg.5a7bf5d887c48dca773e5b8fb98df761.jpgIMG_8747.thumb.jpg.30a142c7cd95ce16a28afb57d9f4ea09.jpg

Edited by frapcap
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Smellytele said:

Sugarbush was great on 3/14. Soft snow all day. Very sticky on the flats.

Smuggs on 3/15 was fun and only had rain for 15 minutes. The rain was typhoon worthy though. Luckily i was in the lodge when it happened. Sun then came out and skied until 4. Some woods were in play and skied well. 

Interesting to hear how bad Stowe was on Saturday. While Sugarbush wasn't great, it also wasn't anywhere near as bad as what you're describing. I skied about a dozen runs on Saturday and when I stopped it was just very chunky (and crowded). The first few runs of the day on the lower mountain were decent. After that I would describe it as very variable. Some sections of trails were smooth and nice, others were chunky, others were scraping off and showing ice.

Sunday was completely different. They officially reported 1" of snow overnight, but I swear there was more than that once you got above the base. I even skied a couple lower angle bump runs and ducked into the woods for a run. All very skiable and far better than you would have expected after the thaw/freeze. And on Sunday the mountain was empty. I was a bit surprised how many people showed up on Saturday considering the expected conditions.

In terms of base depth loss, it really seemed rather minimal on the mountain in most areas.

Sunday River didn't really loose any base.  Saturday was strange, late groomers were buttery but early groomed were frozen cord.  Natural trails on East side were frozen pretty bad but open for the most part (Agony/Hollywood/Top Gun were not) but surprisingly the glades were still soft, almost too soft (had my Chargers on and they were sinking in too deep so switched out to my Mindbenders and they floated it well).  Moved over to Oz as the remainder of the west was mostly on wind hold.  Lost Princess and Eureka were firm but edgeable and not aweful.  Ruby was ok but upper frozen bumps had a lot of ski ruts that hung you up.  Poppy fields though, ughh.  Firm on some turns, break through on others into cement that would not allow you to turn.  Moved back over later in the day and sun had softened Spruce/North and lower WC and Barker.  Southpaw was a spring bumps dream.

Sunday, well it was skiable but Jordan and now Oz down still for wind and conditions.  Only groomers, they were fast but mostly edgeable.  Plenty of cover remains.

Thursday's storm looks like it could recharge the Northern areas with Maine again staying mostly snow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machski said:

Thursday's storm looks like it could recharge the Northern areas with Maine again staying mostly snow.

tenor.gif.56b0a2df9629b83e1e99d3071dead4bb.gif

• Like 1

Well *somebody's* gotta give a forecast measured in feet otherwise Jay Peak won't have anything to quote.

That said I shouldn't laugh. Last March there was a huge dump up there just in time for a friend's 50th b'day ski weekend. It was real.

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

3 feet? let's be serious.

What are your thoughts on the what and where for this weekend's storm?

4 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Someone is off his meds.

Fox is normally pretty conservative regarding snow forecasting so I am a bit surprised he would drop that given the uncertainty most weather folks seem to have with this storm.

3 hours ago, SkiingInABlueDream said:

Well *somebody's* gotta give a forecast measured in feet otherwise Jay Peak won't have anything to quote. emoji38.png

Love seeing the Jay hate on snow reporting... another person that won't be riding the lift there during the next big one. 🤣

Smuggs or Jay for me Friday based on how things are looking. If it is Jay, I'll be sure to let you know how much Jay under reports, which happens far more than over reporting in my experience. :)

Fox is normally pretty conservative regarding snow forecasting so I am a bit surprised he would drop that given the uncertainty most weather folks seem to have with this storm.
It's late season, if he's wrong he's got all summer for people to forget. It's a low risk haymaker.
  • Like 1

Might be a big dump, doubt very much it will be very powdery.  More like cement will be my guess.  But after skiing Killington today and being shocked by the low natural base they have, a foot or more of cement like snow would be perfect actually.

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:
3 hours ago, thesnowway said:

It's late season, if he's wrong he's got all summer for people to forget. It's a low risk haymaker.

His blog has no advertisements. I don't think he is compensated financially for his weather forecasts, so I am not sure why he would put click-bate out their.