Cannonballer

Conditions in the aftermath of 3/14

His blog has no advertisements. I don't think he is compensated financially for his weather forecasts, so I am not sure why he would put click-bate out their.
He works for MRG.
  • Like 1

Love seeing the Jay hate on snow reporting... another person that won't be riding the lift there during the next big one. 🤣
Smuggs or Jay for me Friday based on how things are looking. If it is Jay, I'll be sure to let you know how much Jay under reports, which happens far more than over reporting in my experience. 

It was a jab not hate. It was aimed at pre-storm hype not afterword totals. And I stand by my observation that Jay tends to lay on storm-potential hype a bit thicker than others, at least those I follow ('Bush, cannon wildcat magic usually).

I also appreciate your exclusion of the part of my post where I basically acknowledge the possibility of the hype actually panning out.

6 hours ago, thesnowway said:

Fox is normally pretty conservative regarding snow forecasting so I am a bit surprised he would drop that given the uncertainty most weather folks seem to have with this storm.

I feel like he's normally accused of wishcasting all the time. I certainly don't think of him as conservative in his forecasts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cannonballer said:
3 hours ago, Benski said:
His blog has no advertisements. I don't think he is compensated financially for his weather forecasts, so I am not sure why he would put click-bate out their.

He works for MRG.

Since when? An article I read a couple years ago in VT Ski and Ride said he worked in the energy industry.

On 3/17/2019 at 3:18 PM, Smellytele said:

Stowe was pure frozen hell on 3/16. The worst skiing I have ever experienced.  Nothing to grip to turn on. Took 5 runs and started drinking. 

We were supposed to be at Stowe on the 16th for a comp, but I bailed earlier in the week because of the expected conditions.  I didn’t want to drag my whole family up there - including paying to stay overnight somewhere - for that!  I ended up being sick the whole weekend anyway.  I chose a good weekend for that!  

14 hours ago, thesnowway said:

Love seeing the Jay hate on snow reporting... another person that won't be riding the lift there during the next big one. 🤣

Smuggs or Jay for me Friday based on how things are looking. If it is Jay, I'll be sure to let you know how much Jay under reports, which happens far more than over reporting in my experience. :)

We were doing well but it looks like Krusty made his way over from Alpine Zone. We all can only wish to be as awesome as you. 

Edited by Flying Yeti
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

We were doing well but it looks like Krusty made his way over from Alpine Zone. We all can only wish to be as awesome as you. 

All we need is JimG "Douchebag of the year" to come on board.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Puck it said:

All we need is JimG "Douchebag of the year" to come on board.

Let's recruit as many as possible. Maybe get enough to get a group deals for $5 off window prices.

1 minute ago, fcksummer said:

Let's recruit as many as possible. Maybe get enough to get a group deals for $5 off window prices.

Agreed Snoop Dog GIF - Agreed SnoopDog Snoop GIFs

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Benski said:

16 hours ago, Cannonballer said:
17 hours ago, Benski said:

He works for MRG.

15 hours ago, Benski said:

So is he doing marketing for Mad River Glen?

13 hours ago, cdskier said:

Since when? An article I read a couple years ago in VT Ski and Ride said he worked in the energy industry.

My bad (maybe).  Definitely not trying to spread fake news, and I really don't know.   It was only an assumption on my part since MRG frequently refers to his blog as part of their forecast and advertising. They direct to it on their own website.  He only forecasts for MRG specifically, often going so far as to say that he knows nothing about Sugarbush's weather, wind impacts, etc.   So I made the assumption that he has a working relationship with MRG.  My apologies if this is incorrect and caused any undue harm to anyone. 

35 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

My bad (maybe).  Definitely not trying to spread fake news, and I really don't know.   It was only an assumption on my part since MRG frequently refers to his blog as part of their forecast and advertising. They direct to it on their own website.  He only forecasts for MRG specifically, often going so far as to say that he knows nothing about Sugarbush's weather, wind impacts, etc.   So I made the assumption that he has a working relationship with MRG.  My apologies if this is incorrect and caused any undue harm to anyone. 

There's definitely a mutual love-fest between Josh and MRG, but nothing official to my knowledge. He's just a skier that calls MRG home that also happens to have a degree in meteorology and makes a hobby out of running that blog. If he skis MRG but not SB, easy to understand why he doesn't know the wind impacts at SB. Hell, I ski SB all the time and still can't keep track of which wind direction impacts which lifts the most at SB. I really should pay more attention to that...

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

Your taking this too seriously, we are just curious souls. My best guess is he is a Mad River Co-op owner and Regular who likes to share his though on the upcoming weather as someone with a degree in meteorology. I was just surprised to hear his blog was official and he might be getting payed for that. You can't comment accurately on the wind unless you fallow a specific lifts wind situation since it is very quirky. There are times when only Gate House and Castlerock run at Sugarbush, and times when only Super Bravo is windy.

Your taking this too seriously,

I'm a very serious person. And frankly weather forecasting and skiing leave no room for anything but grave seriousness. It's not like we're talking about something frivolous like golf.
  • Haha 2